THE BROWNS BOARD

NBA takes away LeBron James' triple double vs. New York Knicks

manbearpig

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/20...n_james_tr.html

"CLEVELAND -- First snubbed, now stripped.

A day after NBA Commissioner David Stern riled up the Cavaliers organization by selecting the Boston Celtics' Ray Allen ahead of the Cavs' Mo Williams for the All-Star team, the league downgraded LeBron James' historic achievement at Madison Square Garden on Wednesday.

Saying it was correcting a statistical error, the league Friday took away a rebound from what was the first 50-point triple double in the NBA in 34 years, since Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did it for the Bucks in 1975. Now, the record books will show that James had 52 points, nine rebounds and 11 assists. He's back to 20 career triple doubles, three this season.

The play in question occurred with 39.3 seconds left in the game. Ben Wallace appeared to juggle a loose rebound and tap it to James under the basket before falling out of bounds. The stats crew awarded the rebound to James, his ninth of the game. He got his 10th in the closing seconds. Wallace has been given a rebound in the official stats.

The NBA decided Wallace had controlled the ball and passed it to James. The NBA basketball operations staff, headed by league Vice President Stu Jackson, had the final call on the adjustment.

"We followed a procedure in which we review plays to make sure the stats are accurate to protect the integrity and history of the league," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said.

The NBA reviews all games and periodically makes changes to stats but usually doesn't announce it. In this case, because of the history involved, the league made an exception. "

Makes me wonder...

I don't think it's a big deal. Personally, I don't care if he gets triple doubles. 52-11-9 is just as good as 52-11-10. People act like that threshold holds some sort of crazy meaning, but I don't get into it really. It's great that he's a stat sheet stuffer, and not many people can get triple doubles, but as a threshold it's rather meaningless. It's just a stat, and sometimes you have to go beyond them to see the true impact of a player on a game. A triple double does show huge impact on the game, but 10 rebounds as a opposed to 9 is no more significant than 11 rebounds as opposed to 10.

Just like how people go crazy over a 50 point game but much less so if a player scores 49. Or if a batter bats .300 for a season instead of .299. If a running back rushes for 990 yards instead of 1000.

I am not angry about any of it but I can't stand the Celtics and I think an awful lot of calls go their way... I just don't like bullshit and I hate it when people change things like stats, two days after something happened. It sure sounds like dirty pool to me.

In that respect, I would agree. It seemed like they had a point to prove by taking it away. Dwyane Wade got his triple double taken away when one of the three stats was turnovers, and Ricky Davis got his taken away when he shot at the other hoop to get his 10th rebound. Those are just funny situations though, not legit triple doubles.

Archived