THE BROWNS BOARD

The NFL needs to learn from MLB

roach

The NFL has been utilizing instant replay sine the 1980's and still hasn't figured out how to make it effective and fan friendly. MLB has.

Learn from baseball and turn instant replay over to officials in a league office!

The advantages? Look at baseball....

The moment that a manager comes out to argue, MLB is already reviewing the play.

In baseball, by the time the umps get to the earphones, the officials know what the controversy is and have seen the play from as many angles as possible. Decisions are quick and (usually) correct.

Look at football. The coach throws the faggy red towel. Then he needs to explain to the ref what the coach is opposed to (which everyone knows). Then the ref needs to go over to that faggy booth and tell someone what the coach is challenging (which everyone knows). Then the ref needs needs to stand under that peek-a-boo booth and watch replays of different angles of calls that HIS crew made. It is the ref's judgment! What BS. The decision could be made by the time the ref makes his way to the sideline. Bravo baseball.

Instant Replay in the NFL is misery for fans that actually attend games, especially in cold weather. Baseball has figured it out. The NFL needs to wake up.

Unlike baseball, football is on a tight tv window. I don't think there can be endless challenges.

But it works for college football. As noted, when the reviews are initiated from the booth they actually take a lot less time to decide. So I don't time is an issue and not every other play gets reviewed.

I like the coach's challenge aspect (AKA "the faggy red flag") that applies to the bulk of the NFL game. But the review process has to be expedited and the consistency of the reviews can be improved. The OP's suggestion of a centralized, MLB style review process is a reasonable way to achieve both goals. Plus a centralized process will also expedite the automatic review of scoring and turnover plays.

As for the booth screening of plays for review in the final 2 minutes. It can stay in the booth or move to the central location. But in either case something has to be done about the hurry-up approach Offenses take for the sole purpose of eliminating the opportunity to screen the play.

i don't mind a centralized review center as once suggested by someone during a game, like having a feed sent to the central unit with every angle of the replay and having that governing group determine the outcome and send back their decision.

but to say that baseball does a better job at ANYTHING is freaking laughable.

I'm also cool with the centralized replay station, but we gotta keep the faggy red towels! Think about it. You got thousands of loud fans, countless more watching on tv, and the phenomenon of replay at this point had kinda become a "play" in itself. We're used to it, and l personally want some kinda bona fide indicator that it's happening for sure.

Nobody wants to sit there when the coach is talking to the ref and wonder whether he's challenging or swapping Helen Keller jokes. How many times have you seen a roar of applause when he slings that hanky onto the field? We love it!

And l'll attempt an answer to Woody's third question and wager that football calls can be way more complex than baseball. Sometimes they're trying to determine where the nose of the ball is at the point that someone's ass hits the ground amongst 20 different people trying to shove each other to the ground, and somehow gauge how a camera angle works into all that.

The red flag is only faggy when the coach throws it underhanded. It needs to be pounded into the ground.

Pat Shurmur had the most effeminate challenges I have ever seen.

Z

The NFL system is ok, except

1) teams should get to keep their challenge if the challenge turns out to be correct. Even if they've challenged a dozen times in the half.

2) booth officials should review/decide outcome of the challenge. Centralized review is a possibility.

3) challenging something that cannot be challenged should result in the net effect of an incorrect challenge - team should lose their challenge rights for the rest of the half.

A rough idea to perhaps to speed up the challenge process - code the possible challenges. Challenge 1 might be "Player down before fumble", Challenge 2 might be "receiver not inbounds at time of catch", etc.....

And l'll attempt an answer to Woody's third question and wager that football calls can be way more complex than baseball. Sometimes they're trying to determine where the nose of the ball is at the point that someone's ass hits the ground amongst 20 different people trying to shove each other to the ground, and somehow gauge how a camera angle works into all that.

That's what I was getting at. Basically I don't think the situations for challenges in each sport can be looked at 1 to 1

But it works for college football. As noted, when the reviews are initiated from the booth they actually take a lot less time to decide. So I don't time is an issue and not every other play gets reviewed.

True enough. No matter, I agree something needs to be done to streamline the process.

A rough idea to perhaps to speed up the challenge process...

Good stuff. All review improvements should be aimed at speed and consistency.

Just eliminating the time it takes for the Ref to go under the hood is a boost to the former. Parallel review of the line of scrimmage and clock time should the call be overturned would also speed the process. The added personnel in a centralized system would facilitate this.

Centralized review should produce the ultimate in consistency. And since the NFL is already watching all games at NYC HQ to flag plays for possible fines, the foundation for centralized review is there.

Once the process is fast and consistent, then the league can consider review of other calls including penalties such as the NCAA's targeting reviews. A good idea that just needs to go the next step and allow the overruling of the flag as well as determine ejections.

or you could be the biggest dick ref ever and put out a guy's eye with an even faggier yellow flag.

Good old Orlando...

or you could be the biggest dick ref ever and put out a guy's eye with an even faggier yellow flag.

Remember Orlando Brown!!

Mike

Archived