THE BROWNS BOARD

What's your opinion on the abolishing of Cleveland in 1996?

Do you think that the boroughs becoming unitary authorities has lead to a degradation of public services?

I think there should be more consolidation of local governments. Certain areas of the US have done that fully and partially.

Indianapolis/Jacksonville/Louisville have a combined single county/city government. Miami has a partial one (the Miami Dade police force is a county wide authority. With every little city and town having it own domain, services are redundant to a great extent. Plus you get some abuse...especially with some of these small towns wanting to make their police forces just cash cows.

Can you say Linnwood? A village of at most a couple of hundred people...but they employ a police force of like 25-30 just to patrol the interstate that goes through there and write tickets and rake in cash.

Especially attractive to those who live in crumbling and near destitute cities. By expanding the radius of government you get to encompass wealthier suburbs and dip into their pockets.

One of Canton Ohio's mayoral prospects ran on a platform of an annexing many of the outline townships and charging them for sewer and water. It does make sense, I suppose, in modern times. If I lived in a nicer suburb, which I do, I'd be somewhat offended by having my property taxes go up to pay for the slums but...

WSS

Archived