THE BROWNS BOARD

Republicans more informed than Democrats

Pew center has some interesting reports. Currently reading:

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2014/03/07/millennials-in-adulthood/

Millenials (Age 18-33 - myself, woody, osiris, anyone else?) are more likely to be atheist, vote democrat, be in favour of gay marriage and legalising marijuana.

Millenials (Age 18-33 - myself, woody, osiris, anyone else?) are more likely to be atheist, vote democrat, be in favour of gay marriage and legalising marijuana.

I believe that. I just didn't realize you were that young.

WSS

Just a hair outside of that age range, but not an atheist.

I'm 28. Apparently I seem older - which isn't the case in person, I can assure you!

Heh.It's probably your accent. :)

There were some interesting points in the polls you posted. I would imagine that those numbers change over time, being that most young kids are liberal at any point in history. I certainly was even though I'm kind of liberal, at least for a Nazi.

:D

WSS

I guess that would put me on the last year of generation X or whatever. Generation X sounds cooler than millennial anyway.

I suspect that if 60% of millenials declare themselves as liberal, then of those, maybe 75% will still be liberal when they're 50. However, if there are 60% of millenials as liberals today, in 5 years we might see 62% liberal. For example.

Quite possibly Chris. Of course liberals over there are different than liberals over here and I would just assume that human beings [generally] tend to become more conservative as they get in more life experience.

WSS

Certainly we're not born with the idea that one race, religion or whatever is superior to another. We gain opinions (prejudices?) as we get older based on life experience and any propaganda we fall prey to. So it seems logical that we get more conservative as we get older.

Certainly we're not born with the idea that one race, religion or whatever is superior to another. We gain opinions (prejudices?) as we get older based on life experience and any propaganda we fall prey to. So it seems logical that we get more conservative as we get older.

But we are, I think, born with a naturally contrary streak. We start out through our adolescence resisting the authority of what we see as the older generation. Usually that encompasses championing some of these groups that generation disapproves of. (just to address your point) sooner or later you get the feeling that at least some scum bags are just scum bags and not just misunderstood.

WSS

With age comes wisdom.

Let's hope, Chris, that you accrue wisdom before the other three.

Let's hope someone on this board does at some point. Even then, he'd probably get ridiculed for his crazy ideas.

I'm 39, not quite a millennial. Perhaps that's why I'm probably a little more conservative than you and Woody.

Heh.It's probably your accent. :)

There were some interesting points in the polls you posted. I would imagine that those numbers change over time, being that most young kids are liberal at any point in history. I certainly was even though I'm kind of liberal, at least for a Nazi.

:D

WSS

I thought I was the Nazi?

My generation's views on things like gay marriage and weed won't change as we get older. We won't trade our liberal beliefs of today for the conservative beliefs of today. Instead, our liberal beliefs now will become the conservative views of tomorrow as new liberal, progressive ideas emerge.

At one point letting a man and woman of a different race marry was a liberal belief. Now, limiting it to that point is a conservative belief.

Woody - you don't really have a generation to speak for.

"My generation thinks "x""

bullcrap. Your generation is made up of young folks who go into the service,

go on welfare, vote rep and dem and ind, are Christians and not,

an entire generation isn't available for little old woodpecker to hang his ego on.

For a woodpecker who hangs most all his beliefs on science, you really contradict yourself

with these generalizations all about... what you believe.

You may be the only woodpecker in your entire generation. But, probably not.

Ugh..

On average, my generation thinks...

The majority of my generation thinks...

Most of my generation agrees that...

Better?

You also seem to think the majority of America is against gay marriage though... So clearly what you think most people believe are your projections of what you want them to believe.

Archived