THE BROWNS BOARD

Us against the world?

DTBH

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/x494342373...ainst-the-world

Upon further review, the Cavs are quite confused how the NBA took a historic triple-double away from LeBron James.

And, at least as far as Mo Williams is concerned, it’s yet another disrespectful act against the Cavs.

“We already feel like it’s us against the world,” the Cavs point guard said. “It’s just another thing that we have to deal with.”

The Cavs already were upset over Williams being snubbed for the All-Star Game just over a week ago. Then he got snubbed a second time Thursday when Commissioner David Stern chose Boston’s Ray Allen over Williams as an injury replacement for Orlando’s Jameer Nelson.

Boston and Orlando both have three All-Stars. The Cavs, owners of the best winning percentage in the East, have only James.

But the removal of James’ triple-double by taking away one of his rebounds two days after the fact has really gotten under the skin of the Cavs.

“The rebound is kind of like, ‘Wow,’ ” Williams said. “It’s confusing to me how LeBron all of a sudden is kind of magnified to ‘I’ve got to go back and watch the film.’ I don’t understand.”

What Williams does understand is the Cavs are an extremely tight-knit group with a growing boulder on their shoulder.

“We were already together. You can’t bring us no further together than we are,” Williams said. “We just look at it as, ‘We know.’ There’s no secret. ... We feel that whatever we (want), we’ve got to take. Nobody is going to give us anything.”

Veteran center Zydrunas Ilgauskas said the team is keeping the big picture in mind.

“We have a goal to win the championship,” he said. “If we do that, there’s nothing better.”

HUH?

The NBA overturned James’ triple-double Friday after what it said was routine review of the game revealed James was credited with a rebound that should have gone to Ben Wallace.

“If you go back and watch the play, Ben does not have control of the ball,” Cavs Head Coach Mike Brown said. “Maybe my definition of what a rebound is is wrong.”

Brown called the NBA’s ruling “puzzling.”

“It’s something that I’m sure (Cavs GM) Danny Ferry will look into.”

Williams talked at length about it.

“Who does that? I’ve never heard of it happening in the history of me watching basketball and definitely since I’ve been playing. In the course of a basketball game, you leave that in the hands of the scorekeepers. That’s their job. That’s why they get paid.

“I can’t even explain how something like that happens. You all can correct me if that’s happened before.”

The Cavs have been informed of stats being changed by the league in past seasons, but nothing in a situation such as this.

“What amazes me ... is that actually somebody took the time out of what I hope is their busy schedule to go back and look at that,” Ilgauskas said. “If you’re going to do that, there’s a lot of stuff in my stat sheet that I would like them to go back and look at.

“It’s obviously, I don’t know, dumb.”

DIFFERENT TAKE

While Williams is embracing an “us against the world” approach, Brown is not stoking those flames.

“I’m not one of those types of coaches that look for bulletin-board stuff to put up to get guys fired up. If you have to constantly do that, I don’t think it’s good, because the season’s too long. I think you hope that you have a good enough group of guys that understand that ... (what’s next) no matter who it is against, is important because it’s the next thing.”

24-SECOND CLOCK

-Just as the Lakers took the practice floor Saturday, Vice President of Public Relations John Black announced the team had traded forward Vladimir Radmanovic to Charlotte for Adam Morrison and Shannon Brown. Morrison and Brown both have had disappointing NBA careers after being big-time college stars. Brown, a former Cavalier, is on his fourth team in 13 months.

-Cavs guard-forward Wally Szczerbiak suffered a broken nose Wednesday. He has been fitted with a protective mask and will play today. “There might be some ladies out there that might be a little disappointed, although it is a clear mask,” Brown joked. “But other than that ... he’ll be good to go.”

-Cavs guard Delonte West had the cast on his broken right wrist removed Friday and replaced with a splint. He is rehabbing the wrist and projected to return to practice after the All-Star break.

-McKinley High graduate Eric Snow, now with NBA TV, marveled at how easily a Kobe Bryant or James can score 50 points in a game. The night Bryant scored 61, Snow was asked on air about his own high-scoring game. He went back to his days at McKinley when he scored 37 against Columbus Brookhaven in 1991. “It felt good,” Snow said. “I can’t imagine any higher than that. You’re talking about 40 or 50, and those guys do it like it’s routine.” Bryant has 24 career games of 50 or points, including five of 60-plus.

I've got to say that I agree with Brown. They shouldn't be looking at these types of things as motivation or bulleton board material. Because when these things run out, what's their motivation? They've got to block this stuff out and have enough good character to play their hearts out without this type of cheap motivation.

Guest ATENEARS
I've got to say that I agree with Brown. They shouldn't be looking at these types of things as motivation or bulleton board material. Because when these things run out, what's their motivation? They've got to block this stuff out and have enough good character to play their hearts out without this type of cheap motivation.

I agree DTBH ... it's not that big of deal ... what is worse is getting completely out-played this afternoon by the Lakers on the home court ... they should take that one to heart.

I'm glad that Lebron had his stupid triple-double taken away ... like I said after that game, that was one of his worst games, and I had hoped that it wouldn't break up the great chemistry they had going (but it appears that it might have after viewing todays loss).

Secondly, I questioned that same rebound when it happened. I was watching the stats on-line and the game at the same time. My son and I both questioned that rebound and I waited for the update online to confirm it was given to Lebron ... the ball went to Ben and he almost finger-rolled it to Lebron.

Lebron didn't deserve a win that night, let alone a triple-double, IMO.

They need to get their ass back in gear, I am not confident at all in their match-ups with the Lakers ... the Lakers play much better as a team without the selfish hail mary's from their star, or the griping, bitching, and whining from the supporting cast.

Archived