THE BROWNS BOARD

Training Camp Battles (by position group): Running Backs

thenew23

The running back group seems to be the feature position this year with Shanahan and his offense. With injury rates being so high at RB, especially with Tate who is oft-injured, it seems important to have a solid stable of backs to take on the zone-read run game.

7 running backs coming to camp. Here's how I see it...

Starting Running Back Battle: Ben Tate vs Terrance West

I don't see this as much of a competition, at least not for "starter" minutes, but I think West has the opportunity to prove he deserves to carry nearly half the workload. That's the competition, will it be "Ben Tate feature back" or will we see an even split. It will take into mid-season for West to really turn this into a battle.

3rd Down Back Battle: Dion Lewis vs Chris Ogbonnaya

What do you want on 3rd down? Great pass-blocking, and the ability to catch the football. Both of these two fit this bill, and I think it will be an interesting competition between them. I think a healthy Lewis has more play-making ability than Ogby, but Ogby has been "fairly" reliable the past couple seasons, other than some very untimely fumbles last season. Should be an interesting battle.

4th Running Back Battle: Loser of 3rd Down Back battle vs Edwin Baker vs Isaiah Crowell vs Jourdan Brooks

As said above, I think the RB is the feature position, so keeping 4 on the roster seems like a given. The only way they don't keep 4, would be if none of these guys can contribute on STs, which I'm pretty sure at least 3 of them have already proven their ability to do so. This battle is the realest one of all, because we have 6 RBs I'd like to keep, but there are only so many spots something has to happen.

Eligible for Practice Squad: Edwin Baker, Isaiah Crowell, Jourdan Brooks

My Picks to make the Roster:

RB1 - Ben Tate

RB2 - Terrance West

RB3 - Dion Lewis

RB4 - Isaiah Crowell

PS - Edwin Baker

I will talk about the FB position in a different posting, so Ogby and Brooks will come back around for a 2nd chance in a future post.

I think Tate/West/Lewis/Crowell is potentially an excellent stable of RBs, and I think West will take over at some point this year, and show he can be a feature back. Plus, we get to hang onto a guy with amazing potential in Crowell, who these coaches might be able to turn into a feature back as well. Hopefully, our line can open up some holes for these horses to run through. It is our best bet at having a good season.

Tight ends and Fullbacks will be next...

AS of now...

1 and 2 aren't in doubt... Tate and West.

I see Baker as the 3rd down/change-of-pace back based upon his '013, and Ogbo as the 4th due to his flexibility.

Lewis is the wild card. Crowell heads to the PS.

Tate, West and Baker.

Hopefully we can shelve Crowell on IR for a year, wouldnt want to risk him to PS. I guess we are looking for maturity from him. Of course, if he blows up in TC then all bets are off.

Z

Tough position to guage until they actually start running. I have a feeling that once they do, Crowell will move up quickly and be in the running for 1st string consideration. We might end up with a 3 headed monster at runningback.

Tough position to guage until they actually start running. I have a feeling that once they do, Crowell will move up quickly and be in the running for 1st string consideration. We might end up with a 3 headed monster at runningback.

a rookie QBs' dream scenario. think the big boys up front like to get out and move in run blocking.

a return of the running game in cleveland is why i give this team a chance to win the division.

Here's to Tate playing like a legitimate 1st string RB. Hoping West is reliable and can contribute on several drives a game. Have my fingers crossed that Crowell stays out of trouble, shakes off any bad juju he's got clinging to him, and flashes some brilliance this year en route to becoming a beast for many years to come. Baker or Lewis, eh, flip a coin.

Archived