THE BROWNS BOARD

Muslim question

Osiris, this past weekend was pretty warm up at Put in Bay and a Muslim family came in for dinner and I noticed the husband wearing shorts sandals short sleeve shirt and ball cap and the wife wearing before top to bottom garb. The two sons were dressed like dad but a young daughter was wearing shorts and a tank top. Is there a particular age when women have to start wearing a burga? Marriage age?

WSS

I think it might be at puberty

They say it's not a "law", but you never see a mature Muslim women without the Burqa.

Osiris, this past weekend was pretty warm up at Put in Bay and a Muslim family came in for dinner and I noticed the husband wearing shorts sandals short sleeve shirt and ball cap and the wife wearing before top to bottom garb. The two sons were dressed like dad but a young daughter was wearing shorts and a tank top. Is there a particular age when women have to start wearing a burga? Marriage age?

WSS

Most Egyptians have arranged marriages, i.e., the woman has their husband chosen for them.

WSS

Hi WSS. The burka is not required at all by the religion, actually. What is arguably required is the hijab, though this is one of the things Muslims debate about because some interpretations say the hijab is required while others say it is a woman's choice. I'm sure you can guess where I fall in that debate. As for age, Browns149 is correct. It is the age of puberty. I know plenty of mature Muslim women who don't wear hijab, let alone burka.

And though I've ignore him, I felt compelled to read Diehards misinformation. He is wrong, most Egyptian marriages are not arranged. You will find that in some rural communities, but in the cities most commonly you get basically set-up on dates and are free to pursue or not. Parental blessing is important but I don't know anyone who was forced to marry someone in Egypt.

I think it might be at puberty

They say it's not a "law", but you never see a mature Muslim women without the Burqa.

Especially in countries like Saudi Arabia. Spent 15 months there working in a hospital. Quite a culture shock.

Worked at King Fahd hospital situated outside of Medina, one of their two holy cities...wasn't allowed to enter the city because I was Christian.

Since it was Medina, religious customs were strictly enforced. I stayed at a compound. The only women living on this compound were foreign nurses...mostly from the Phillipines and South Korea, and some Egyptians. Could not intermingle with them...no visiting or even talking to them. Guards patrolled the area looking for hanky panky. Men and women had to be separate. Men could leave the compound. The nurses had to stay on the compound for the duration of their contract.

Foreign women had to wear a half burqa...they could show their face as long as their hair was completely covered.

I was issued a brown ID similar to a passport called an igama (sp?), which signified me as a Christian. If you were a Muslim you were issued a white igama.

Women always walked behind their husband as if he was leading a camel.

If there were public executions or hand choppings for stealing to be carried out, they were always done on a Friday.

An Egyptian doctor who earlier invited me to witness an execution, described the event.

On a stage or platform the condemned was placed on his knees and was doped up. In this case he had fallen over and had to be righted again...like a football that had fallen of it's tee.

The executioner he described as very tall and black perfomed a little dance, then with one swipe of his sword off went the head amid the roar of the crowd..."touchdown"!!!

My boss who was also American had learned that this particular Fillipina (female from the Phillippines ) custodian could type.

She had been sitting at the computer with my boss standing behind her giving her instructions when an Arab stuck his head through the doorway and began having a hissy fit in Arabic.

The next morning my boss gets called into the directors office...the hospital director explained that it is forbidden to be in a room alone with a woman, because there are actually 3 entities...you, the woman, and the devil.

If you are not "thinking it" then she is, and if she's not "thinking it" then you are.

Um.."thinking it" means having sexual thoughts Woody, I know you're kinda slow.

I got a dozen crazy stories to tell, enough for one day.

Archived