THE BROWNS BOARD

Training Camp Battles (by position group): FB/TE

thenew23

An interesting group here, where I believe guys will be tried at both positions as Petine and Farmer seem to like versatility in their players. This is really a mess, but there are some talented guys in this group.

3 FBs coming to camp, and 7 TEs. Here's how I see it...

Starting Tight End - Jordan Cameron

No battle here

Tight End #2 - Jim Dray vs. Gary Barnidge

Dray was brought in as mostly a solid run-blocker, while Barnidge is a better pass-catcher. This competetion will come down to who can do both jobs well and can have the versatility to block and catch passes.

Full Back - Chris Ogbonnaya vs. Ray Agnew vs. Jourdan Brooks vs. MarQueis Gray

I think Shanahan would like to have a FB on the roster, but this is a tough situation here. IMHO Gray and Ogbonnaya have the most upside b/c of their versatility. The problem is Ogby did not show the ability to be a solid FB last year, and I think that experiment is over. Gray seems to have the most upside here b/c of his versatility and ability to play TE or FB. The other two are young dark horses in this race.

TE3/FB2/HB - Loser of the TE2 competetion vs. Loser of the FB competetion vs James Oboh vs Emmanuel Ogbuehi vs Keavon Milton

2 TEs and 1 FB isn't enough, so I think a TE3/FB or H-back will be kept on the roster. I don't know much about these guys but there will be an awful lot of competetion, and again, I believe it will come down to versatility more than anything else.

Eligible for Practice Squad: Agnew, Brooks, Oboh, Ogbuehi

My picks to make the roster:

TE1 - Jordan Cameron

TE2 - Jim Dray

TE3 - Gary BArnidge

H-back - MarQueis Gray

PS - Ray Agnew

Release - Ogby, Brooks, Oboh, Ogbuehi, MIlton

3 experienced TEs who can fill-in in the right situations, plus a guy in Gray who is very versatile who has been playing FB in minicamp. Keep Agnew around on the PS in case the Gray experiment doesn't work. Seems like a solid plan to me. I'll miss Ogby here, but I think his time is up...

Offensive Line will be next...

So, l hate to immediately left turn this thread, but l was attempting to do some research on the guys l don't know as well, so l can post something intelligent, and l started by Googling Gary Barnidge. I got to "Gary Barni" and the top Google search was "Gary Barnidge Girlfriend" and below that was "Gary Barnidge." So curiosity killed my cat.

It turns out Gary is a Playa, in more ways than one. Or it could all be internet hocus pocus. But what a wierd dude to be the focal point of such a thing. Anyway, here's a link.

http://www.talk-sports.net/nfl/girlfriend.aspx/Gary_Barnidge

Since I had Ogby included in my RB depth, no long goodbyes there.

Otherwise no issues with OP choices from a thin group...

haha he must be rakin em in to have a forum dedicated to it....

Spent a few minutes perusing the site, and apparently every player gets a listing, with some seemingly getting more action than others. Tashaun Gipson is scandalous! Intersting stuff...

Anyway, a serious reply. Cameron is a lock. I think Dray makes it as they brought him in to be the bruising blocking bookend.

TE 3 is between Barnidge and Gray. I know the reports are that Gray is trying FB out for size, but l also heard he's catching the ball well. Seems to me if he's a good enough blocker to play FB, and he can catch, might be a better fit for TE. So l say he edges out Barnidge, despite his exploits with the ladies.

Still not sold on the FB thing, like if they'll get one they like enough to keep. Agnew is l think the only true FB on the roster, so l give him the nod if they take one.

I don't know. It's Cameron then everybody else at this point.

I hope we get another good TE in next years draft. My biggest needs are WR/TE/FB.

Cameron is amazing and I'm looking for an encore performance this year, possibly even out doing last year with the QB carousel. He need to continue to improve and I think he'll be solid.

I'm only just a little afraid that injury could derail the entire position. That's why we need to invest in another stud TE.

Need a bruiser at FB(one that can block and catch...actually, maybe Crowell could be that guy?- don't know much about him other than his measurables).

Anyone stat handy that knows Cameron's numbers for the 2.2 games Hoyed played? I remember his stats seemed to decline as the season went on. I wondered how his Hoyer mumbers compared to his non-Hoyer numbers.

Fullback hasta be like playing special teams-lite on every down. Take a running start and plow into some guy. And then there's that catching the ball sometimes thing.

Anyone stat handy that knows Cameron's numbers for the 2.2 games Hoyed played? I remember his stats seemed to decline as the season went on. I wondered how his Hoyer mumbers compared to his non-Hoyer numbers.

Fullback hasta be like playing special teams-lite on every down. Take a running start and plow into some guy. And then there's that catching the ball sometimes thing.

The Minny game was the most TDs he had all year - 3

The Cincy game was the most catches he had all year - 10

16 catches 157 yards 4 TDs in 2 games w/ Hoyer (8 / 78.5 avg)

90 catches 1019 yards 4 TDs in 13 other games (6.9 / 78.4 avg)

Not a huge difference other than TD catches. Also, his numbers were pretty consistent throughout the season. It's pretty obvious though that he will be a major factor and could have an even bigger season with more consistent QB play, if that's what you're getting at...

I wish the Browns would have drafted Jay Prosch.

He went to the Texans in the sixth round.

well i saw the numbers for the skins' FB last last year.........

compare to what obi did last year, uh?

Redskins fullback was used as an actual blocking back. 250 LBer

The oby experiment was an unmitigated disaster.

Rest assured ... We will have a fullback on the roster.

Z

Not a huge difference other than TD catches. Also, his numbers were pretty consistent throughout the season. It's pretty obvious though that he will be a major factor and could have an even bigger season with more consistent QB play, if that's what you're getting at...

Cool, thanks for that. Yeah, not a huge difference except for TDs. Averaged 8 catches a game with Hoyer, and roughly 7 with everyone else. Small sample size sure, but tells me Hoyer looks his way when the zone turns red.

Not sure I am understanding your stats, Cameron did not catch 106 passes or have 1176 yards receiving, was this over two seasons?

Archived