THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland beats out Dallas and will host 2016 Republican National Convention

Cleveland chosen to host 2016 Republican National Convention

Cl

on July 08, 2014 at 11:49 AM, updated July 08, 2014 at 12:03 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Capping off a months-long lobbying effort, Cleveland will be the host of the 2016 Republican National Convention.

Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus announced Cleveland as the location on the Fox News Channel in a live, on-air interview. The interview was immediately preceded by a tweet, which has since been deleted, from a spokesman for the Republican Governors Association.

"We're excited about bringing the convention to Cleveland in Ohio, and we're excited about the decision. We think it's a smart decision," Priebus said.

Cleveland edged out Dallas, the other finalist, as the recommended location for the convention, giving the city an opportunity to strut its stuff to a national crowd while placing Ohio even more firmly in the political spotlight for the upcoming presidential election.

"I think it's great," said Rob Frost, the Cuyahoga County Republican Party Chairman. "I'm really excited to welcome our Republican colleagues from around the nation to Cleveland in 2016. I think this convention will really elevate Cleveland in the eyes of the nation, and elevate Republicans in the eyes of Cleveland."

Now that the recommendation from the Republican National Committee's site selection committee is in, negotiations with Cleveland officials are expected to begin shortly. A press conference will be held later this afternoon.

The courtship with the national GOP dates back to at least February, when the city submitted its bid. Cleveland was selected a week later as one of eight contenders.

The RNC narrowed the list to four in late May, and on June 25 picked Cleveland and Dallas as the two finalists to host the event.

And last week, RNC officials visited Cleveland to assess "creative ways" to make the city's bid work.

Conventions can be significant economic generators for a city. One study showed that the 2012 GOP convention pumped more than $200 million into the Tampa and Florida economies. That convention drew roughly 50,000 visitors.

Cleveland's convention pitch was rooted in political geography and in a downtown renaissance that leaders said occurred after the city lost its bid for the GOP's 2008 convention. Since that audition, Cleveland has added more hotel rooms and a new convention center.

It's also believed that the expected June availability of Quicken Loans Arena, which will host floor events for the convention, played a role.

Fundraising is another key consideration, and local boosters have estimated that Cleveland will need to raise $55 million to $60 million to cover the costs of hosting.

Boosters are also working to lure the 2016 Democratic National Convention, although officials have said it is highly unlikely the city could host both events.

It's true. We have a fine following of customers who want our tomatoes.

You grow them naturally, and the taste is pretty special.

I wonder if the Repubs will let me be a keynote speaker. I'd be dang good....

nah. the old guard wouldn't like what I'd have to say...

No big surprise to me. Texas is pretty solidly Republican. Ohio flip flops. Holding it there should generate some votes....and great News for Cleveland and state in general. The impact can be huge.

One would think that Dallas would be a GREAT place for the Repulicans to meet. None of the candidates would have to wear body armor.

After all, they only kill Democractic Presidents in Dallas

note,

I wasn't alive when JFK got his head blown off. But I have seen the films

The zapruder film is pretty gruesome

If you are a Repulican......................or mobster......................

It's must see TV

Democrats were different in those days. As were Republicans. I was in 4th grade listening to some educational radio program when they had the news flash. Also saw Oswald get shot in the gut on live TV. Being that young didn't really understand what was going on though.

Archived