THE BROWNS BOARD

Free agency expected to be active

Mr. T

Free agency expected to be active!

Five teams have more than $30 million in available cap money – the Buccaneers ($42 million), the Cardinals ($41 million), the Broncos ($34 million), the Chiefs ($33 million) and the Titans ($31 million). A total of 21 teams have $16 million or more in available money and just four are currently over the salary cap – the Colts ($2 million), the Redskins ($3 million), the Saints ($5 million) and the Jets ($7 million).

I like the prospect of matt Birk and Darren Sharper putting on a orange helmet next season the addition of both of these guys would be a big plus for the new management team.

http://gnb.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=837555

Because of this increased competition, nobody is safe. Vikings players like Matt Birk and Darren Sharper will likely get plenty of interest from teams with a need at either center or safety. The Vikings historically have locked up players to long-term contracts before they can get to free agency, like Pat Williams, Kevin Williams, E.J. Henderson and Bryant McKinnie. The one common element to all of them except Big Pat is that they are young. Last year in free agency, the Vikings made their biggest splash by acquiring young players who still have plenty of time remaining in their careers – signing Bernard Berrian and Madieu Williams and trading for Jared Allen.

The new Vikings mindset has been to invest in young players with their best days ahead of them, not paying big money for players who they deem are nearing or at the downside slope of their careers. While veteran leaders like Birk and Sharper have been important components to the Vikings success in recent years, they now don’t seem to fit in the organizational model the team has designed under Brad Childress and Rick Spielman.

What that might end up meaning is that both Birk and Sharper will be in different uniforms next year. The prospect of seeing Birk in Packers green and gold is an unpleasant thought, but something that could end up happening.

The bell for free agency will ring in three weeks

Guest Aloysius
Matt Birk is going to get big bucks, so don't keep your hopes up for him.

Yeah, this is a big offseason for Birk. With the recent holy shit, we're all gonna die downturn on Wall Street, Birk finally has a chance to become richer than all of his hedge fund buddies from college. A nice contract extension could put him over the top.

One Minnesota paper predicts Birk will end up signing a 2 year deal for around $10M.

Yeah, this is a big offseason for Birk. With the recent holy shit, we're all gonna die downturn on Wall Street, Birk finally has a chance to become richer than all of his hedge fund buddies from college. A nice contract extension could put him over the top.

One Minnesota paper predicts Birk will end up signing a 2 year deal for around $10M.

If that is all he is asking for, I hope Kokinos makes an attempt at aquiring him.

"Mr. Childress? Derek.

Derek? Mr. Childress.

I'd love to stay and chat, but my new center and I have a plane to catch..."

~Eric Mangini

i honestly think that this offseason will set the tone for the hole kokinis, mangini era. here me out. it is only their first year here but there is a lot of talent out there. with several free agents available from different teams i think that it will be easier to get tht talent because of the new coaches in cleveland. having rob ryan might be incentive for an oakland db to come here. kokinis might also have a semi-good relationship with terrell suggs (although it is unlikely that a director of pro personel ever really spoke with a stud outside linebacker). there is a ton of talent out there for teh browns to get and i think that with the cap room that we've got and through trades, we can sign at least one ringer, maybe two or three

Its going to be interesting to see what the mankok regime can do in FA and the draft under the existing circumstances..if they can land us 1 impact defensive player from the draft and 1 worthwhile defensive player from FA and a decent possesion reciever and center from either i would be impressed..

Guest Aloysius
How about Geoff Hangartner for center? He is 26, played well as a backup in Carolina and scored a 47 on the wonderlic. It is good to have a smart center, yes?

Not sure he's capable of handling the big NT's in our division. Scouting reports from when he was coming out of college say that he plays too high (he's 6'5") and lacks good functional strength. That doesn't translate into success against the Casey Hamptons of the world.

Archived