THE BROWNS BOARD

Jason Pinkston to retire

utzie

Saw this a couple places on Twitter so far. Can't really copy and paste from my phone, but multiple reports are coming in that Pinkston is going to retire due to blood clots in his lungs.

Sad to see someone's career cut short like this. It really puts into perspective how life is bigger than football.

Well the Browns reached an injury settlement with him and he got released. He's said that more than likely he will retire. I agree, that was a seemingly a great value pick as he was a 5th? rounder a few years ago. Then again, at least football afforded him the opportunity to know this exists in his body and manage it effectively.

That's too bad, I thought he was a good value pick too, but it is hard to see non-football related health problems coming. I think we prepared well for this with the drafting of Brian Boitano and bringing in McQiz.

Zombo

Were the blood clots in his lungs? I thought they were elsewhere. Too bad, but, as noted, I think the Browns have done a good job of preparing to replace him

I mean, he was Ghoolie's kind of OL....a low round draft pick that was pretty average.

Yup Gip, per Dr Hoorta- pulmonary emboli- blood clots in your lungs- they can kill you in a hurry if they're big enough and land in the wrong place. The treatment is what the general population calls blood thinners. Us medical people like to call them anticoagulants. :)

In an acute case they use heparin. And some trivia for you- in chronic cases they use Wafarin, better known by it's common name- Rat Poison. That's why the critters die- they bleed to death.

No problem if you're an average Joe Schmoe. For a football player- yikes, you could get uncontrolled internal bleeding if the doses were too high.

Archived