THE BROWNS BOARD

Tribe Rotation

admin

Tribe rotation: How will it turn in 2009?

By Josh Weir

CantonRep.com staff writer

Posted Feb 10, 2009 @ 12:29 AM

Source Link

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLEVELAND — Last spring, the Indians returned the reigning Cy Young winner.

This spring, they again return the reigning Cy Young winner.

The fact that the former now is wearing pinstripes and the latter was battling for the No. 5 spot in the rotation in 2008 should paint a clear picture of what can be expected from the Cleveland Indians starting rotation in 2009.

Be ready for anything — good and bad.

“My hope is that depth plays a role in our pitching as it evolves and unfolds this year, because there are certainly some things that will happen that are unexpected,” Indians General Manger Mark Shapiro said. “Last year is a case in point. But if I had to point at one aspect of the club I’m least comfortable with, our rotation would certainly be that area.”

Pitchers and catchers are set to work out for the first time Saturday in Goodyear, Ariz. Here’s a look at the candidates for the Tribe’s 2009 rotation:

Cliff Lee

The Indians will look at the possibility of signing the AL Cy Young winner to a contract extension this month. The 30-year-old lefty, who will start Opening Day barring injury, is inked through this season with a club option for 2010.

Fausto Carmona

The Tribe needs a rebound season from the big Dominican right-hander. A 19-game winner in 2007, Carmona fell to 8-7 with a 5.44 ERA last year. “Carmona is as important as any one player can be,” Shapiro said. “I still don’t look at any one player being pivotal to our season. But his maintaining his health and his movement closer to where he was two years ago is extremely important to our team.” Shapiro emphasized delivery mechanics as a key. “If he doesn’t maintain a consistent delivery, his stuff is still good, but his command and control are not as good,” he said. “His sink doesn’t play as effectively.”

Carl Pavano

If healthy, the No. 3 spot is his. That’s a big “if.” Even if he’s healthy, will Pavano still be effective after three years off the radar?

Anthony Reyes

The 27-year-old righty shined in six starts last season after being acquired from St. Louis. Then he had to be shut down because of elbow issues. Like Pavano, a spot is his if healthy. Reyes is out of minor-league options.

Aaron Laffey

He could be the front-runner for the No. 5 spot. Laffey was the AL Rookie of the Month for May but struggled with command and injury the rest of the season. His experience likely will be a big factor over his competition.

David Huff

He capped a great 2008 by earning the Bob Feller Award as the top pitcher in the Indians’ minor league system. “He’s progressed at a rapid pace and put himself on the threshold of being a contributor at the major-league level,” Shapiro said.

Jeremy Sowers

A first-round pick in 2004, Sowers probably is on the outside looking in. “His inability to command his fastball last year didn’t allow him to utilize his intelligence in attacking hitters,” Shapiro said. “So what is wrong is not complex. It’s not hard to describe. Fixing it has been a challenge for him and for us.” Sowers does have minor-league options left.

Scott Lewis

This former Buckeye put himself in the conversation with a remarkable debut and by earning the AL Rookie of the Month award for September. He’ll probably start in Triple-A Columbus.

Zach Jackson

Acquired in the CC Sabathia trade, this lefty had his ups and downs over nine starts last season. He also can pitch in the bullpen.

Jake Westbrook

He should be back around June after Tommy John surgery last summer.

I hope Lee continues to dominate. Hopefully 2008 is the norm and 2007 was an anomally. Carmona does need to rebound. Let's hope he gets it done. I Don't know much about Pavano. I'd like to se how Reyes performs over a full season for the Tribe. Heres to an injury free 2009. Laffey I don't know about. He's never excelled as a starter for the the Indians. Westbrook seems to be either on or off.

Obviously I'm a big Laffey fan. I think people might be forgetting that he put up 21 straight scoreless innings last year in a dominant May, and the fact that he was kind of rushed to the bigs, as he's still only 23 years old. He had a terrible game against Texas, then went on to have a pretty good June, too. In July he was obviously hurting, and as a sinker/slider guy, even a little soreness can blow up your game. Now with his elbow healed, and a winter of the Cliff Lee miracle workout, I love the outlook of him being our next (young, healthy, cheap) Westbrook.

I like Dave Huff too, but definitely don't know him as well as the "older" guys (Laffey is actually younger than Huff). Wouldn't mind seeing both of them in the big league rotation.

I liked Sowers last year, but with so much depth now, I wouldn't mind if he just stayed in Columbus.

Scott Lewis was an awesome surprise last year, but he's not a guy I want to rely on with our rotation as potentially shaky as it is. I just don't think he has the stuff to be a consistent piece.

Didn't actually get to see a lot of Reyes last year. He seems locked into the rotation, so I'll get a real opinion once the season gets going.

Zach Jackson.....pass.

I like Laffey a little bit less than you do, but not by much. The Westbrook comp is terrific. I've just got a blind-spot when it comes to guys who touch the high 80's on their FB while not having a wicked change/slider. But like you said, the guy is young and he has plenty of time to develop that pitch.

Reyes is the guy who intrigues me most. I know he considers himself to be a power pitcher and that that caused a ton of angst between him and LaRussa and Duncan, but if he can just come to a happy medium (allowing for his bum elbow) I think he can turn in a few gems.

As for Huff, I haven't seen much of the guy but I think of him like I did Sowers and Guthrie. So somewhere in between please?

Beanpot

I'm not a huge Laffey fan either. I don't know for sure but I wonder if his success was due to players not knowing him.

After a trip around the league and the scouting reports were more accurate he seemd to really slide.

For a soft thrower I think he walks a lot of batters. If his command isn't perfect he can really get lit up.

I do love his attitude and his age though!

I like Scott Lewis to make this rotation. A lefty with a better strikout to walk ratio. More seasoned than Laffey.

Carmona

Lee

Reyes

Sowers

Lewis

Westbrook will remove one of the bottom three when he returns

I wouldn't say Laffey walks a lot of batters. For his career he's averaging 2.7 per 9 innings, not bad at all for a ground ball pitcher (Westbrook's career BB/9 is 3.1 for comparison). Last year he supposedly had problems with his delivery and definitely had problems with his elbow. You're right that hitters were somehwat figuring him out because they weren't swinging at pitches out of the zone, but I think that has more to do with his sinker not sinking and his slider not sliding. If his delivery issues are all worked out and he's fully healthy, which I think are both true, I think you'll see the real Laffey again this year, hopefully getting closer to his ridiculous 3.3 GB/FB ratio from 2007.

I like Lewis, but I see him as a step down from Huff. Wouldn't mind seeing him in Cleveland again, I loved watching him in September, but I see him as more of a depth guy, waiting in AAA until someone gets hurt.

Sowers is pretty much the same, like him as a player and he's great for depth, but the other guys with more upside are catching up to him.

Out of camp I'd like

Lee

Carmona

Reyes

Pavano

Laffey

then as the season gets going I'm hoping for

Lee

Carmona

Laffey

Huff

whoever's healthy and/or pitching the best of Pavano/Reyes/Westbrook

Out of all the soft-throwing lefties, I think Laffey has the most distinguishing talent in his ground balls, and Huff is the best pure prospect....which is why I like them in our rotation.

• 1 month later...
I wouldn't say Laffey walks a lot of batters. For his career he's averaging 2.7 per 9 innings, not bad at all for a ground ball pitcher (Westbrook's career BB/9 is 3.1 for comparison). Last year he supposedly had problems with his delivery and definitely had problems with his elbow. You're right that hitters were somehwat figuring him out because they weren't swinging at pitches out of the zone, but I think that has more to do with his sinker not sinking and his slider not sliding. If his delivery issues are all worked out and he's fully healthy, which I think are both true, I think you'll see the real Laffey again this year, hopefully getting closer to his ridiculous 3.3 GB/FB ratio from 2007.

I like Lewis, but I see him as a step down from Huff. Wouldn't mind seeing him in Cleveland again, I loved watching him in September, but I see him as more of a depth guy, waiting in AAA until someone gets hurt.

Sowers is pretty much the same, like him as a player and he's great for depth, but the other guys with more upside are catching up to him.

Out of camp I'd like

Lee

Carmona

Reyes

Pavano

Laffey

then as the season gets going I'm hoping for

Lee

Carmona

Laffey

Huff

whoever's healthy and/or pitching the best of Pavano/Reyes/Westbrook

Out of all the soft-throwing lefties, I think Laffey has the most distinguishing talent in his ground balls, and Huff is the best pure prospect....which is why I like them in our rotation.

It looks like Huff will not be in the rotation. At least when you take in his Spring training work. He's been really bad.

I'm hoping that they don't put Pavano in this rotation simply because he's a vet that they signed this year. They could release him as far as I'm concerned. For a guy that is fighting for his professional life, he's showing no signs of being anything but the stiff he's been for the last few years.

It looks like it should be

Carmona

Lee

Reyes

Sowers (He's in...that's gotta be a done deal)

....And the last spot seems as though it sould come down between Laffey and Lewis. Their numbers are remarkably similiar so I imagine there are other factors that will involve the decision. Laffey's start Thursday is going to be a huge one for him.

If the Tribe sends both of these guys down and keeps Carl Pavano I'll run out and throw myself into the middle of traffic.

CC come back.......... :(

I'm not real confident about our rotation. Hopefully I'm wrong.

It's pretty weak after the first 2, and even then I can't help but think we have overachieved there.

We really need some of these young guys to move past the potential point and actually start to produce.

It's pretty weak after the first 2, and even then I can't help but think we have overachieved there.

We really need some of these young guys to move past the potential point and actually start to produce.

I agree Peen, we are weak in the rotation this year if we don't get any production out of our young guys. I've have been hearing about all these great prospects the Tribe has in the minors the last few years, it's time for someone to step up and start producing.

Archived