THE BROWNS BOARD

Two Heartbeats Away

Chicopee John

Commentary: You can blame Pelosi for Democrats' stumblesStory Highlights

By Jack Cafferty CNN

Editor's Note: Jack Cafferty is the author of a new book, "Now or Never: Getting Down to the Business of Saving Our American Dream," to be published in March. He provides commentary on CNN's "The Situation Room" daily from 4 p.m.- 7 p.m. You can also visit Jack's Cafferty File blog.

Jack Cafferty says House Democrats got the economic stimulus plan off to a poor start.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Well, that didn't take long. Three weeks into the new administration and the Democrats are squandering their advantage and threatening to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Credit House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for getting the ball rolling. Under her leadership, House Democrats excluded Republicans from having any voice in crafting the stimulus package.

Acting like children who hadn't seen Santa Claus for eight years, House Democrats busily loaded up the bill with stuff they had been unable to get for eight years. It was payback time.

Contraception, funding for the arts, restoration of the national mall, stop-smoking programs. All while Americans lose their homes, their jobs, and their savings. It was both childish and disgraceful.

Apparently tone deaf to the disgust and disappointment of Americans with the bailout package for Wall Street and the banks last year, as well as the voters' strongly stated desire for change as represented by the election of Barack Obama, House Democrats set the table for failure -- again.

Not a single Republican in the House voted for the bill, despite efforts by our new president to reach out to the other side. Nancy Pelosi strikes again.

When asked if the lack of Republican support was at least partly her fault, she gave some snotty answer about not being partisan but working for the American people. Right.

My guess is President Obama is busy these days sticking pins in his Nancy Pelosi doll. To his credit, Obama argued against a lot of the pork while stressing that time is our enemy. Pelosi could care less.

As the legislation headed for the Senate amid cries for more stimulus and less pork, the Republicans pounced. Sensing yet another Democratic miscalculation, the Republicans seized the advantage in the debate.

They want more tax cuts and more real stimulus -- stuff that will create jobs now. Not some pie in the sky proposal that may pay dividends years down the road. And they're right.

The real game starts if and when the Senate passes a bill devoid of a bunch of the garbage the House Democrats stuffed into it. Then it goes to a conference committee where the drama will be whether, in a grand twist of irony, President Obama and the Republicans wind up aligned against members of the Democratic Party in an effort to get something realistic on the table before the economy simply slides the rest of the way into a deep crevasse.

Meanwhile, angry voters are jamming Capitol Hill phone lines screaming about the politics as usual that is so far the hallmark of the new administration. Welcome to Washington, Mr. Obama.

When it comes to the Democrats under Nancy Pelosi, what was it Pogo used to say? "We have met the enemy and it is us."

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Jack Cafferty.

It would appear that Obama is seriously trying to take the high road, but rocks from the low road keeping bouncing up at him because of reckless driving by Pelosi and co.... and even Joe Biden. Nice article.

Saw last night at Obama's press conference... he was surprised by another Bidenism about whatever they do, they stand a 30% percent chance of being wrong.

Obama was amused and a bit flustered, and admitted he had no idea.

If Obama doesn't want Dem politics as usual, he may end up very frustrated. Pelosi has lost control of herself.

If Obama really cares about taking out the pork and achieving Bipartisanship he should Veto the pork barrel and send a message to the house that he wont put up with nonsense.

No time for that, T. Obama put it best: let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Or at least that's what he's saying publicly. What he's saying privately is that Pelosi is screwing him big time, I would think.

Nice piece by Cafferty. And nice to see Obama's attempts at true bipartisanship are working in here. Both Cal AND T warming up. I like it. :)

Don't get carried away with yourself, Damajuki.

I am just applying critical thinking in yet another display of bipartisanship and

objectivity, and good will.

@@

No time for that, T. Obama put it best: let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I agree with the statement, but I don't think it applies here. State assemblies are convening 2-3 weeks after the bill gets passed to iron out where all the money will be going. I understand that's the way things have worked and can work, but the enormity of this situation and the consequences of irresponsibility are too dire to not have this completely hammered out before anything gets signed.

Isn't that the credit mess/nightmare in a nutshell? Buy it now, figure out how you'll pay for it later?

Barack get's a FAIL on this from me.

Piglosi is an idiot. And she represents the {portion removed by Legacy Fan} area. Who really gives a xxxx?

I'm not a big Pelosi supporter either, but have a real take for once.

In all seriousness, DH, nobody thinks you're funny. Nobody thinks you're smart. Nobody even reads your posts, EVER, besides me of course. Don't you notice that nobody ever engages in conversations with you, besides me? No??

I'm not kidding when I tell you to take your shit over to the Vanguard News Network Forum. You'll definitely fit in much better over there, because it's painfully obvious that you don't belong here.

Diehard - don't listen to him. He's like that with everybody who has

differing opinions, especially with some of the hard hitting

verbage you create.

Which requires significant smarts, that creativity.

You and mz the pussy should give each other a break.

PS. you are right about Pelosi ! I think at this point, even President Obama agrees that she's an idiot, too...

differing opinions

The man has no opinion, cal. He just spews garbage. You know that.

especially with some of the hard hitting

verbage you create. Which requires significant smarts, that creativity.

Like this?

Piglosi is an idiot. And she represents the {portion removed by Legacy Fan} area. Who really gives a xxxx?

I have to say that was both hard-hitting and creative. :rolleyes:

Come on, man. I understand you and I rarely, if ever, see eye to eye, but we're both more than smart enough to know a moron when we see one.

Or at least that's what he's saying publicly. What he's saying privately is that Pelosi is screwing him big time, I would think.

Nice piece by Cafferty. And nice to see Obama's attempts at true bipartisanship are working in here. Both Cal AND T warming up. I like it. :)

I'd have warmed up a bit had the empty suit shown any backbone or honesty at all.

So he proomised to go through every bill with a red pen.

Outright lie.

Using ginned up hysteria he and Pelosi shove through a completely partisan cash grab.

His "bi partisanship" is tantamount to me being president announcing I was going to nuke Tehran and asking Shep what color to paint the bombs.

The consequences of this historic boondoggle could (will IMO) be more disastrous than doing absolutely nothing,

And yes, Pelosi is a cretin and he can't handle her.

Great.

WSS

His "bi partisanship" is tantamount to me being president announcing I was going to nuke Tehran and asking Shep what color to paint the bombs. STeve

ROF,L - Again, one more reason I don't drink anything while reading this board....

differing opinions, especially with some of the hard hitting

verbage you create.

Which requires significant smarts, that creativity.

You and mz the pussy should give each other a break.

PS. you are right about Pelosi ! I think at this point, even President Obama agrees that she's an idiot, too...

I don't pay attention to MosquitoZits Cal. I could care less of what he writes in here.

The man has no opinion, cal. He just spews garbage. You know that.

Like this?

I have to say that was both hard-hitting and creative. :rolleyes:

Come on, man. I understand you and I rarely, if ever, see eye to eye, but we're both more than smart enough to know a moron when we see one.

LMAO!

I could care less of what he writes in here.

We're all aware there are things you care less about than me/what I say. It's obvious...

PS: Here's my helpful hint of the day, Jeffro, just because I'm feeling magnanimous.

Could care less means you care. Couldn't care less means you don't care.

His "bi partisanship" is tantamount to me being president announcing I was going to nuke Tehran and asking Shep what color to paint the bombs. STeve

ROF,L - Again, one more reason I don't drink anything while reading this board....

You will have to get every color in the rainbow for him. :lol:

• 7 years later...

It would appear that Obama is seriously trying to take the high road, but rocks from the low road keeping bouncing up at him because of reckless driving by Pelosi and co.... and even Joe Biden. Nice article.

Saw last night at Obama's press conference... he was surprised by another Bidenism about whatever they do, they stand a 30% percent chance of being wrong.

Obama was amused and a bit flustered, and admitted he had no idea.

If Obama doesn't want Dem politics as usual, he may end up very frustrated. Pelosi has lost control of herself.

no, you are trying to screw up the board with your personal antagonism.

"trying to get to" anybody seems to be the only thing you have going for you in your life, woodpecker.

that's pretty sick, I think.

woodywoodpecker03-big.jpg

Archived