THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns' Mike Pettine ranks 31st among NFL coaches in ESPN survey

Gips

Jesus fuck...you guys realize that this is going to be a difficult year already as it is right? I mean you cannot tear up the organization every two years and expect some foundation to be left behind. The Browns weren't gonna win a lot of games this year no matter what. Lombardi could rise from the dead and maybe get us a shade under .500. Realistically we're gonna win a couple games and HOPEFULLY at least make a fight out of it so that Sunday nights we can all say at least some great fucking football was played. If that happens I don't care if we go 0-16. Wins take time and if you mother fuckers are already calling for Pettine's job than honestly the last 15 years of misery are because of Browns fans. How difficult is Pettine's job already as it is? Just leave him the fuck alone. We can't fire him, we used up those knee jerk ur fired cards. Now if we fire a HC barring some massive lockeroom revolt we become the least desirable destination in NFL history. The Browns are consigned not just to the North basement for all of time, we'll be in the NFL's basement. Might as well just send the team off somewhere else again..is that what you fuckers want? Cause if this organization becomes anymore of a joke that it already is, some city somewhere is gonna make Haslem an offer he can't refuse and the NFL will not stop it. Please god just leave Pettine the fuck alone for a couple years. For the love of fucking god. If things don't work out with the players he's inherited let him build a team.

Food for thought, had we stayed with Mangini we'd probably be owning the North right now especially seeing how the division has fallen off. We're still in the window but's it's closing quick. If we fire Pettine anytime in the next few years and do another redo you can forget about it. We had an opportunity to step on the rest of the North as they were reshuffling. Had we stuck to our guns honestly with any of the last 3 coaches we'd be at the top of the North forcing the other teams to respond to moves we make. That's how teams ascend to divisional dominance and stay there.

you make too much sense, besides, the loud mouth maligners on this board aren't happy unless they are calling for someone's head..the truth is, you are where you are with pettine, and for that matter the players, cleveland fans should be trying to make the most of it instead of constantly finding fault....never saw such a band of loser mentalities.....instead of throwing stones and passing premature judgment...hope that pettine can learn from his mistakes and improve....who knows, maybe he can and will....

also interesting how almost all of the "elite" coaches also happened to have elite personal and elite QB'S and elite GM's...

That's a real rabbit hole of a topic... not sure how "almost"...

i agree with everything 100% and i too believe if mangini were still here we'd be a dominant team. go ahead blast us for saying that but we've all seen what a one and two year plan does for a team,

You can add me to "us"...

Id also add.....if they made this list in 1995, Belichick would be dead last.....

also interesting how almost all of the "elite" coaches also happened to have elite personal and elite QB'S and elite GM's.....

IMO, it takes a great GM and great players to build a great coach....it seems like all the great coaches LOST when they had crap teams, but WON when they had good teams....so is it the coach or the players that makes a great team....???

An example......when Green Bay won the SuperBowl ...."suddenly" Ron Wolf was the best GM out there, Holmgren became the best coach/president/gm out there and Favre was the best QB.....and ALL have been mentioned as THE reason GB won....could it just be they had the best team???

Yes, & I was thinking the same thing about Belichick too.

Mike

Really? "Rookie coaching mistakes??" Really? From a rookie coach?? OMG!!!!!! fire him...

That's a bit of an overreaction to what I stated.

It's blatantly obvious Pettine has made mistakes. As I have said in the past, I hope he can learn from them. But I am a Browns fan, not a Pettine fan. Right now, it looks like he is not ready for the big time head coaching position.

If he learns and leads us to success, which I hope he does, I'll be the first to congratulate him. But so far, and it has been early, I'm seeing too many rookie mistakes.

And it's not so much playcalling as it is the other stuff. Team does not look prepared. The Offensive line performance has been offensive. The whole QB situation and the way that has been handled through the media has been neophyptic. The defense has not lived up to expectations. Yes, it's just preseason, and I certainly expect a big fat steaming turd in the 4th preseason game.

We'll have to see what happens in the regular season, but I hope there is improvement shown.

can we al just take a deep breath and a big sip and just chill for a second? i mean it IS the preseason.

believe me i've been one of the biggest critics of their performance thus far. but to each his own when it comes to perception of what one is seeing. you've got a group of players (the base group before FA and drafts) that have been together now for maybe 3-4 years? within that 3-4 year span there have been 3 different O and D systems and 3 different sidelines full of different style coaches and personalities.

believe me the post manziel draft espn and nfl network TC coverage made it sound like the browns were a well-oiled machine with the only gap being the starting QB. well, anyone that knows espn or nfl network knows that they are looking for a 3 min fluff piece where a hero walks in and rides off into the sunset with a hard knocks story up his keister and a championship belt raised above their head. too good to be true.

pettine is not a bum. this was not some stupid hire from some stupid owner. as someone said earlier in this thread haslam is a no nonsense owner looking at the financial bottom line. so would it suffice to say the guy mighta learned a little something about hiring the right people and letting them do their jobs?

but otherwise.... you guys know that the slot of employment for the official red button pusher is now vacant don't you?

Glad to see im not alone in my rather harsh but honest "early assessment" of coach Pettine..

Hopefully he will eventually get it but i really would not count on it..

Possibly the worst coach the browns have ever hired..

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/08/cleveland_browns_mike_pettine_10.html

I cannot for the life of me fathom what type of information you would have to form such an assessment at this point. Please comment further on your points of contention with him as a coach.

We cannot continue to just blow up the entire organization every year or two and start over. Sometimes you have to make a stand, suck it up and give them a few years to establish consistency. Do I like waiting? NO, is it sometimes necessary? YES. This team needs to run the same offensive and defensive scheme for the next 4 to 5 years along with drafts and free agency that are geared towards those schemes. If we do not do that we will continue to languish as a poor to mediocre team.

you make too much sense, besides, the loud mouth maligners on this board...

As one of the quieter "maligners", I am offended by this...

Archived