THE BROWNS BOARD

Wr COACH HIRED *Updated

DestinFunk

The Cleveland Browns have dipped down to the college ranks to help fill out their offensive coaching staff, as University of Minnesota wide receivers coach will join the team.

The job will be the first NFL experience for McDonald, who has coached at a series of schools over the past nine years, including stints at Stanford and as Western Michigan's offensive coordinator.

At Minnesota, McDonald tutored wideouts Eric Decker and Ernie Wheelwright who set records for for receptions at the Big Ten school. Decker eclipsed the schools previous mark by 17 catches

more info... http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.db...;DB_OEM_ID=8400

That bio says he has about 5 years experience as a college wideout coach, and it seems he tutored some pretty good recievers (2 of whom now hold records for receptions at Minnesota). Maybe he can teach Braylon to catch?

Braylon can catch....he doesn't focus...and that is much harder to teach....like I don't think it can.

Pretty nebulous at the least.

Braylon can catch....he doesn't focus...and that is much harder to teach....like I don't think it can.

Pretty nebulous at the least.

Why the hell don't we get Brian Brennen to be WR coach?

Id much rather have a former successful player in that role.

Why the hell don't we get Brian Brennen to be WR coach?

Id much rather have a former successful player in that role.

We just finished trying the former successful player route...wan't it Chandler?

We just finished trying the former successful player route...wan't it Chandler?

When it comes to things like this I just think...

Who would I want teaching me how to be a WR in the NFL?

Someone who did it? Or someone trying to teach you something they can't do themselves?

That bio says he has about 5 years experience as a college wideout coach, and it seems he tutored some pretty good recievers (2 of whom now hold records for receptions at Minnesota). Maybe he can teach Braylon to catch?

Bralon needs someone for his head and then a kick in the ass.

Guest ATENEARS

A couple days ago I was gonna post a question of who we had or were going to bring in for what I considered a real important job on this team.

There is much more to this job than teaching proper mechanics on how to catch a football. This team needs serious work on route running, and timing.

We are going to need more than a single coach to help us in this area, it's who this guy hires to assist him is the key. Bring in a vet who is also trying to get into coaching to work with these guys like Braylon on how to be a consistient pro.

This guy might be a good coach on concentration and mechanics, but we would also need someone to illustrate routes, reads, and pulling the position onto the same page as the QB(s).

Extreamly important position at this time, on this team, IMO.

Heard it on Mike and Mike on ESPN on the radio. As usual, by the time I could have posted it, it already was. Good job.

OK.....I wasn't doubting it so much.....just couldn't find anything and wondered how or where the story was generated.

Well, I don't like this, myself. I am just very confused by this move. Why take a COLLEGE coach with only a couple years of experience to start in the NFL, especially with our WRs, some of which need some serious help (and not in just route running.... Edwards... :unsure: )

There's plenty of options within the NFL... what happened?

Well, I don't like this, myself. I am just very confused by this move. Why take a COLLEGE coach with only a couple years of experience to start in the NFL, especially with our WRs, some of which need some serious help (and not in just route running.... Edwards... :unsure: )

There's plenty of options within the NFL... what happened?

There was one small surprise as McDonald was announced to be joining the Browns via the team's press release today: He would not be coaching wide receivers, but, rather, would be taking over as the team's offensive quality control coach.

Here's the press release from the Browns:

For Immediate

February 11, 2009

Browns Name McDonald Offensive Quality Control Coach

The Browns announced the addition of George McDonald as the offensive quality control coach today.

McDonald comes to Cleveland after spending the past two seasons with the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers as the wide receivers coach. In 2008, McDonald played an integral role in helping junior wide receiver Eric Decker to his most productive season as a Gopher, setting a school record with 84 receptions, eclipsing the 1,000-yard receiving mark (1,074) and earning a first-team All-Big Ten bid. In 2007, McDonald led a receiving corps that accounted for nearly 80 percent of the Gophers’ 2,949 receiving yards and tutored a pair of receivers (Decker and Ernie Wheelwright) who hauled in 9 touchdown receptions each.

Before arriving at Minnesota, McDonald spent 2005-06 at Western Michigan University, where he worked with current Green Bay Packer wideout Greg Jennings. In McDonald’s first season with the Broncos, Jennings was named 2005 MAC Offensive Player of the Year, MAC Co-MVP (Vern Smith Award) and was a Biletnikoff Award semifinalist after setting program records for career receptions, receiving touchdowns and all-purpose yards.

Prior to his stint with the Broncos, McDonald served as a tight ends coach at Stanford (2004) and as a wide receivers coach at Northern Illinois (2001-03) and Bucknell (2001). McDonald began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Ball State University in 2000.

McDonald lettered four seasons as a receiver at Illinois (1995-98), finishing with 59 career receptions and 589 yards

There was one small surprise as McDonald was announced to be joining the Browns via the team's press release today: He would not be coaching wide receivers, but, rather, would be taking over as the team's offensive quality control coach.

Here's the press release from the Browns:

For Immediate

February 11, 2009

Browns Name McDonald Offensive Quality Control Coach

The Browns announced the addition of George McDonald as the offensive quality control coach today.

McDonald comes to Cleveland after spending the past two seasons with the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers as the wide receivers coach. In 2008, McDonald played an integral role in helping junior wide receiver Eric Decker to his most productive season as a Gopher, setting a school record with 84 receptions, eclipsing the 1,000-yard receiving mark (1,074) and earning a first-team All-Big Ten bid. In 2007, McDonald led a receiving corps that accounted for nearly 80 percent of the Gophers’ 2,949 receiving yards and tutored a pair of receivers (Decker and Ernie Wheelwright) who hauled in 9 touchdown receptions each.

Before arriving at Minnesota, McDonald spent 2005-06 at Western Michigan University, where he worked with current Green Bay Packer wideout Greg Jennings. In McDonald’s first season with the Broncos, Jennings was named 2005 MAC Offensive Player of the Year, MAC Co-MVP (Vern Smith Award) and was a Biletnikoff Award semifinalist after setting program records for career receptions, receiving touchdowns and all-purpose yards.

Prior to his stint with the Broncos, McDonald served as a tight ends coach at Stanford (2004) and as a wide receivers coach at Northern Illinois (2001-03) and Bucknell (2001). McDonald began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Ball State University in 2000.

McDonald lettered four seasons as a receiver at Illinois (1995-98), finishing with 59 career receptions and 589 yards

Thanks Destin ... big difference there!

Zombo

Archived