THE BROWNS BOARD

What would Shaq bring to the Cavs?

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS

Shaq did some charitable work in the Cleveland area yesterday and I seen a promo for an interview with him on the local news (but didn't stay up for the story).

I seen that he was listed as a potential prospect to trade for, but I didn't put much interest in looking into it. But call it a dream last night, or something, but today I awoke with the thought that we may be bringing Shaq in here.

I haven't watched Shaq play in years ... what the hell does he have left in the tank, if anything?

Guest ATENEARS

As I stated in another thread (started today) we are in need a proven veteran to show us the way. LeBron is a young kid, and hasn't completely shed the selfish play yet.

Yes, I'm panicking.

I'd bring him in if the price is right. Maybe Wally, Varejao and a future draft pick?

I've only seen a few Suns games this year. Of course he's not the early 2000s Shaq, but he's still a good scorer under the basket (58% FG). I think he'd be great for LeBron, as a guy who can take his passes and turn them into two easy points, no flopping around trying some crazy jumper. Only thing I worry about is the Hack-a-Shaq, his free throws have improved but he's still only 61%.

Really don't see this one happening but I would do it.

Guest ATENEARS

Varejao was 4-of-10 from the stripe last night (at least at one point, can't remember him having other attempts). what is his career % from the free throw line?

Add in Ben Wallaces' difficulty shooting freebee's and the this trio (w/Shaq) would kill us.

Actually Varejao had one of his more active games as of late last night, but he still makes me cringe. Talk about finishing after a LeBron dish ... Varejao has to catch the ball and take a giant hop-step and swooping hook from under the basket to get a quick shot off. I can't believe these guys like Andy, Ben and Z can't just flush that baby in lightening fashion.

Side note...here's a pretty good article my brother (Suns fan) sent me about how ridiculous the whole Suns organization is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/stor...=PERDiem-090210

He makes it sound like there won't be any market for Shaq because of the $20M he's owed next year. But it runs up in 2010, so we'll still be in position to sign LeBron and another top FA. And if there's no market for him, they should like that deal I mentioned above (Sorry, Wally/Varejao fans).

I've thought Shaq was an overrated, fat hack the last few years, but he could be what we need right now. Championship/hall of fame career experience/leadership, swagger, and a huge body being able to FINISH in the paint. Even if there's not going to be any late 90s Shaq-Attacks, he still has the savvy and post moves from 3 feet out to thrive with LeBron.

I know once some of the regular posters here see this thread they're going to flip out, but I'm really liking the idea all of a sudden.

I think Shaq is playing pretty well this year and seems to have a chip on his shoulder. I've watched about 5 Suns games this year and he seems pretty motivated.

He isnt the player he was but he seems to be playing with better fundamentals than I've seen in the past. Although his FT numbers dont look that impressive, but he's been making them when it counts. More or less making people pay for the Hack n' Shaq late in games.

I would rather go with someone younger, but I like the experience he would bring. He's a tough rebounder and he still is a pretty good defender.

I'd take him and I'm sure he'd be pumped for a Lakers/Cavs finals!

Guest ATENEARS

Yeah, I'd hate to be a Sun's fan right about now ... that train is heading for a wall.

I guess I didn't realize that Stoudemire was only 26yrs old ... that's unbelievable that they would even consider trading him.

Another scenario to worry about, is that the Division foe Detroit Pistons may be the most likely to land Stoudemire. We sure as hell don't need the Pistons or Bulls sneaking back into the mix on us.

I'm warming to the idea of acquiring Shaq as well. The Sun's would probably jump at the opportunity to clear him, and we could get rid of the Eric Snow deal, and probably just another player in that deal.

Going back and reading the Trade Scenario thread, the only negative listed in acquiring Shaq is that he may disrupt the chemistry here ... but it also states that LeBron and Shaq are good friends, so I doubt he'd mess up the chem like he did at other stops, including Phoenix.

I too am getting excited about this possibility. Shaq would tell it like it is, he's gone on record already pitching that Kobe is a better player than LeBron, so maybe he can knock LeBron down a peg or two and get him concentrating on being a better all-around player.

I think this 'buddy system' and stroking of Mike Brown needs a dent in it's armor too ... Shaq may be the one to stand up and tell Brown that he needs to call a better offensive game plan.

Guest ATENEARS

Shaquille is playing about 30-minutes per game right now for the Suns.

Z is getting 27-min

Varejao 28-min

Hickson 12-min

Wallace 24-min

I'd go:

Z 27-min

Varejao 24-min

Shaq 24-min

Wallace 16-min

(screw Hickson)

Yeah...we don't have time for Hickson to "develop". It infuriates me to watch his piss poor positioning on rebounds! Not to mention the guy couldn't box out Spud Webb.

Getting Shaq and reducing his minutes like you suggested would keep him very fresh come playoff time, but the ONLY thing that scares me about a deal like that. Would be the fact he hasnt missed his usual 20 regular season games yet.

Amare just looks like a guy who, with a change of scenery would absolutley EXPLODE!

I still wouldn't rule out a deal for Camby either. The mans a walking double double! He isnt known for offense but hed look like Tim Duncan compared the the stiffs we have at PF/C atm.

Some kinda move needs to happen IMO. Id even like to see Joe Smith back here. But thats why I post, and I'm not a GM.

I'd bring him in if the price is right. Maybe Wally, Varejao and a future draft pick?

I've only seen a few Suns games this year. Of course he's not the early 2000s Shaq, but he's still a good scorer under the basket (58% FG). I think he'd be great for LeBron, as a guy who can take his passes and turn them into two easy points, no flopping around trying some crazy jumper. Only thing I worry about is the Hack-a-Shaq, his free throws have improved but he's still only 61%.

Really don't see this one happening but I would do it.

trading wally would not be a good idea right now. even with delonte coming back after teh break, if we traded wally then we would 3 guards under 6'3''. although boobie, mo and delonte are effective, the cavs wouldn't be able to compete with the size of the other teams.

The Suns brought in Shaq last year to try and put them over the top for the NBA title. It didn't work and now they're almost in a mini-rebuilding mode with a new coach and looking to trade Amare Stoudamire.

Don't trade away too much and neglect the future for a chance at a title this year, especially when it still guarentees nothing.

Yeah...we don't have time for Hickson to "develop". It infuriates me to watch his piss poor positioning on rebounds! Not to mention the guy couldn't box out Spud Webb.

Getting Shaq and reducing his minutes like you suggested would keep him very fresh come playoff time, but the ONLY thing that scares me about a deal like that. Would be the fact he hasnt missed his usual 20 regular season games yet.

Amare just looks like a guy who, with a change of scenery would absolutley EXPLODE!

I still wouldn't rule out a deal for Camby either. The mans a walking double double! He isnt known for offense but hed look like Tim Duncan compared the the stiffs we have at PF/C atm.

Some kinda move needs to happen IMO. Id even like to see Joe Smith back here. But thats why I post, and I'm not a GM.

What the hell is in your sig?

Guest ATENEARS

Good God, did Shaq (during the All-Star game) look like he has another solid three years left in those legs of his or what?

He would fit in here perfectly for our run at a Championship this year and next.

Wow.

I would like Shaq, but only in return for Snow and Wally. We're doing THEM a favor by taking his 20-mill contract off their books next year and giving them some savings. No need to throw anyone else in, take it or leave it.

I agree...I am NOT in favor of trading away young players & high draft picks for 37 year olds. Let's face it, Shaq IS getting up there in years. We can use him, but let's not start giving gifts. At his age, there are NO guarantees how long he holds up.

Mike

Archived