THE BROWNS BOARD

today's youth

blowe

Well frankly I don't think any generation gets the straight story as far as history. It's never happened all the way back to King George and the colonies. But as far as kids not reading well they probably don't so much. Then again as you go back through the generations there weren't smart phones, computers, 24-hour cable news stations, etc etc etc. Our old standby, the newspaper, is on its last legs.

Also what good does it do to teach kids about the wars if the conclusions are bullshit?

WSS

A little background.. I'm 27 and getting a late jump on my undergrad. As you can imagine, I am surrounded daily by people much younger than I. So last night I was hanging out and drinking a few beers with my neighbors and certain topics were brought up.

Here is what I learned...

Not one of them follows politics. Not one

2/8 knew what jihadist meant. If they want to kill you you should probably know who they are.

None of them knew where the Alamo was or what happened there.

I asked them who Joe biden was. Crickets...

I asked them if they thought the affordable health care act or Obama care was better.. 50/50 with compelling arguments for both sides.

I could go on but as you can see today's youth (generally speaking) don't know shit besides how to tweet or omgtakeaselfie. The worst part is 6 of them voted for Obama in the last election. The other two did not know when the last election was. Why is America's youth so clueless when it comes to the things that matter? Woody? I don't lump you in with them but I'm hoping you can give me some sort of perspective being in your early 20s

So the 6 people you hang out with are representative of today's youth?

Eh, who am I kidding. My roommates care more about partying than politics.

Archived