THE BROWNS BOARD

Sin City: A Dame To Die For Review

Sin City: A Dame To Die For

Dimension

R 102min

There are certainly things in this world that some people love and some people don't. Not that they particularly dislike those things but just don't understand why others really get in to them.

A few examples that come to mind are body piercings Indian food, hard jazz and Frank Miller's SIN CITY.

As for myself? I absolutely love lamb vindaloo and SIN CITY. To be honest I was afraid I might be disappointed by the second helping since I was such a big fan of the 2004 premier but despite lacking the awe that comes from seeing the genre for the very first time (like your first Salvador Dali painting) I still loved it.

Why?

Well keeping in mind that there is absolutely nothing objective in opinions, I personally love film noir and despite the graphic novel interface that's basically what this is.

I don't read a lot of graphic novels but from what I've seen they are comic books for grown ups and feature much more brooding and violence as well as a grown up price tag.

Of course the only thing that binds the film to the print version is the look. Yes I know everybody these days can turn out some pretty spectacular computer generated stuff but this really is different. I credit that to co director and cinematographer Robert Rodriguez.

Shot in basic black and white with sparse accent colors it looks like a hybrid of live action and art, which, I suppose, it is.

The story, however, is pure 1940s.

It's a series of vignettes about tough guys, saps, suckers, grifters, gamblers, crooked politicians, hoodlums, cops and dames you just can't trust.

Each of these separate storylines weave together for a dramatic climax that should please even the most hard boiled fans.

The cast is a who's who of tough guys at hot tomatoes including (among many others) Mickey Rourke, Powers Boothe, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Ray Liotta, Josh Brolin, Jessica Alba and even Bruce Willis stops by for a cameo. Remember he got killed in the first film.

The pace never slows down and the storyline has enough twists and turns to keep you hooked until the end.

A

WSS

Archived