THE BROWNS BOARD

PlaygroundLegends Browns 2009 Draft

PlaygroundLegend

First and foremost, the draft list to follow is based on two predictions of mine..

Move 1: Browns Trade QB Derek Anderson for a second round pick

Move 2rte-underlined.png: Browns trade down to the 10th-12th spot and pick up a 3rd in the process.

Pick #1 (1st round)

Rey Maualuga

closeup-rey.jpg

We need an identity, a hard hitter, a playmaker, a force of sheer destruction, and thats what Rey Maualuga brings. His Coach was a pro-bowl MLB in the NFL, and claims Rey is way better than he ever was, with Mangini's discipline, Rey will become controlled chaos.

2. Rashad Jennings

38541.jpg

Im sorry but Jlew just doesnt cut it for me anymore, we need another answer to couple with Harrison, Rashad Jennings fits the bill, a North/South runner who... can also take it to the outside (which makes it less predictable, right now teams know 1st down is Jamal up the middle) he's 6'2 235 and runs a 4.4, a pure monster, and our future at runningback.

2. William Moore

ncf_u_wmmoore_200.jpg

If you take a look at Shittsburg, you see a dominant safeties, look at Baltimore, Dominant safeties, we need to compete, we need attitude and fierceness, and adding this guy to our defensive arsenal along with Maualuga spells destruction. Plus... Pool sucks, It would be nice to have a safety who can tackle for once.

3.Kaluka Maiava

huddle040jg7.jpg

Personally, I think Alex Hall is our solution at LOLB, and I think Wimbley can still be dominant with some new schemes, but thist guy is great, fast, and a sure tackler. He's very underrated and will be a steal in the third round, plus he will already have some familiarity working with Rey Maualuga. Plus he's very intelligent and can read offenses fairly well. This continuity might bring great things...

4. Frantz Joseph

joseph1c.jpg

After Aloysius tuned us in to this guy, he began to grow on me. What do we do when Rey get tired, we need depth, and thats where this guy comes in, I believe Leon Williams is still a servicable backup, but he is our only serviceable backup, this guy backs up Rey while Leon Backs up D'Qwell. He is another hard hitting ILB that makes plays and steps up when neccesary, watch the film. Who knows, he may start one day.

5. Rylan Reed

568619.jpg

When Ryan Tucker makes his last pancake, we need a replacement, Tucker in my opinion is on of the best linemen in the league (when healthy) and this guy is a spitting image of him (same size and weight) and is perfect to start learning under Tucker now, so he is ready for our future needs at RT. Not to mention this guy is REDICULOUSLY strong, lok for his bench reps and max at the combine, did I mention they call him THE HULK? The line is the most imortant part of our team, we need to keep it fresh, and attended to.

I want to know what you guys think of this list so far.

I also want to see some of your dream Browns mocks... what have we people?

Maybe Chung instead of Moore. I also don't like Maiava as a 3-4 LB. It is interesting, but with the extra picks I would love to find a center we can plug in this year.

If Greene is there do you take Jennings or Greene? Personally I take a center with the #37 pick and Chung if he is there with the other second pick.

I think we need to wait until the combine and also see what we do in FA. FA should better shape our draft stratagy.

I believe ILB and Safety are must fill slots. I think Center is a very big need followed by OLB, RB, WR, OT and DL.

I've always thought that rounds 4 thru 7 are crap shoots and you should take the best player available regardless of position. These are guys you are basically drafting for depth and special teams with enough potential to grow.

gotta agree with alo on william moore. his senoir bowl week and actual bowl game were awful. dude covers like terry cousin.

signing bullocks and moving pool to the strong side will give us two very fast safeties who are dumb, aren't big hitters and don't make plays.

while playing in all sixteen games this year, bullocks amassed an incredible 41 tackles (34 solo), six pass breakups, one forced fumble, one pick and zero sacks. that's exactly the kind of overwhelming we can expect if we sign him.

there's a reason he's got a ton of physical talent but has had the same rating (either 76 or 78) in madden for the past few years: he's not improving and isn't an impact player, and we already have enough shitty players on this team.

atogwe or bust.

I'd go with Rey Maualuga - he says himself he has really matured.

But Jennings has been said to "only" run a 4.65... just too early.

I'm going to figure Clay Mathews, Jr and Sean Smith the cb/s both go in the first round...

or he trumps out Meredith as the first pick...

I'd be much happier to go with:

SECOND ROUND:

First pick in the second:

Jamon Meredith, OL, South Carolina (there are scouts who think RT is a huge priority,

and I'm an oline first guy)

Position: OL

School & Year/Status: South Carolina - Senior

Height & Weight: 6'5 - 298 lbs.

Ranked #37 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

2009 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

If NFL teams are looking for an offensive lineman to come in and contribute immediately, they can look no further than this South Carolina Gamecock. To say Meredith is high on the experience factor would be an understatement. He redshirted as a freshman after playing in one game, and coming into 2008 he had started 28 consecutive games; 29 in total dating back to his freshman season. Meredith started 18 straight at left tackle protecting his quarterback's blind side, but recently he has been forced to show his versatility. He had to sit out two games at the start of this season due to having played during his 2005 redshirt year, and coach Steve Spurrier moved him to guard upon his return. In addition to his football skills (which include running under 5.0 in the 40-yard-dash despite his size), Meredith is outstanding in the classroom and will bring no off-the-field concerns with him into the next level. Right now he looks like a second-rounder in the 2009 draft. Meredith has the frame to get even bigger and he needs to show he can truly dominate a game up front before NFL brass will be convinced to go for him in round one.

Second pick in the second:

Connor Barwin

Defensive End

Cincinnati

Senior

6' 4" 252 lbs.

Strengths: Athletic ability, explosiveness, hands, character, size

Weakness: Experience, competition level, straight line speed

Barwin’s first love in high school besides football was basketball. Barwin would finish high school rated as the 17th best football player in Michigan by The Detroit Free Press. After he got recruited to play tight end by the Cincinnati Bearcats football team, the Bearcat basketball team needed some help due to injuries and Barwin “walked on” and made the team.

“I thought I was going to be a (college) basketball player,” said Barwin. “I had played all my life all the time. I was pretty skilled, but I wasn’t tall enough or fast enough. I definitely didn’t have a good enough jump shot to be a wing guy at a big conference and play division one basketball, and I could see that getting towards the end of high school.”

No longer a “walk on” with the basketball team, Barwin focused on football and at 6’ 4” 252 pounds, that is his future. As a junior he was a standout on special teams as well as a key player in the tight end rotation. He played in 12 games and recorded 31 receptions for 399 yards and two touchdowns.

His senior year (2008), the super athletic, multi-talented Barwin was asked to try something different. He was put at defensive end and the coaches were amazed at how natural he looked at that position. Barwin seems to have finally found his true calling. He has a relentless, never quit mentality (high motor) and never gives up on a play.

His instincts are amazing and he has a lightening quick first step. He has excellent chase down speed and a surprisingly powerful bull rush and being a former tight end and basketball player he is very fluid and instinctive dropping back in pass coverage. If he can’t get to the quarterback, he times his jumps perfectly and with his great hands will probably get a lot of interceptions in the NFL

Barwin seems to get better each game at defensive end, this season (2008) after 11 games he has recorded 46 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss and 10 sacks. He also has 6 pass break-ups, 4 QB hurries and 3 blocked punts/kicks. Against Pitt on 22 November 2008, in a crucial 21-28 win, he had a monster game recording 3 sacks and 3 tackles for loss.

Being new to the position he is a little raw and needs to develop better technique and learn a few more moves, but that will come with time and some excellent NFL coaching. That’s right, I did mention NFL and the scouts have already taken notice, with a good post season and workout out at the NFL Scouting Combine he could emerge as a 2nd or 3rd round selection in the 2009 NFL Draft. He will be a gem in the NFL because he can do so much, he can play special teams, defensive end or outside linebacker, heck he could probably even play tight end in a pinch.

ROUND THREE

Walter's has Jennings going at the 19th pick in the third round... he'd make a grrreat pick for the Browns

here.

I thought this was funny:

"Philadelphia Eagles: Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty

The Eagles probably have a better shot at converting fourth-and-11 than they do fourth-and-one. That's because Andy Reid is a moronic play-caller, and always decides to go with a run toward the right guard or right tackle with his small running backs. Or sometimes he mixes it up and calls for a Hail Mary. Big Red needs a big back. At 6-1, 232, Rashad Jennings qualifies. "

ROUND FOUR

Sammie Lee Hill, 4

Position: DT

School: Stillman

Height: 6-4 Weight: 328

Sammie Lee Hill for his size has been described as having tremendous quickness and athletic ability to move laterally as well as hold the point of attack against the run. He is a I-AA and Division II player. Sammie Lee is a high character individual. He and teammates were involved in saving a man from a burning building.

Sammie Lee is a small school prospect, so playing at a higher level will definitely be a challenge. He is playing in the East West Shrine Game this weekend, so it will be interesting to see how he performs at that level. He could play the nose in a 3-4 or 4-3 over the guard.

I say, he can play DE in the Browns 3-4 rotation til Rodgers retires and then be the NT after he's a couple years older and bigger...

I disagree people, I think Moore will be a definite somebody in this league. I mean, the guy is just an athlete, he is a gamer. He has one bad week and everyone thinks he sucks...

Seriously, look at this defense....

_______________________Jones_____

___________Moore_________________

_________D'Qwell___Maualuga________

______Wimbley_____________Hall_____

Bmac____Smith_Rogers_Williams___Wright

That looks dangerous to me

especially when you add in Frantz Joseph in the mix

despite moore's athletic ability, he has a glaring flaw in his game. it wasn't just for one week that we saw he couldn't cover people, it was for much of the season. here are four scouting reports on him that all say he's not good in coverage or that he's better suited to play in the box by the LOS, which would make him more of a LB than a DB. he's often listed as a tweener project, a distinction that reflects his coverage issues, because he has the speed to play safety.

http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Draft-Profil...9/William-Moore

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingrepo...lliam-Moore.php

http://warroomreport.com/index.php?option=...69&Itemid=1

http://www.walterfootball.com/pro2009wmoore.php

i'd include new era scouting's report, but no one's updated it since september.

he's more likely to have a great impact as a WOLB on a tampa 2 team who eventually moves into the MLB role.

and if we have moore and jones as our safeties, we have no one to cover center field and play deep. they're both in the box guys.

Sean Smith, cb/s is rated here as the #37th player, William Moore is rated #61. A high second rounder is

way too high for Moore... he is a fine player, though...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospec...amp;start_row=1

Archived