THE BROWNS BOARD

Gotta Learn How to Win

Suomi

That's my analysis of this heartbreaker.

The Browns' offense had two separate opportunities to go up by 7 in the 4th quarter and played like they haven't been there before:

1) The first, the 50-yard kick that hit the upright, can't be blamed on Cundiff. The defense got a great turnover (Gipson's pick) and the offense started their drive on the Baltimore 30. The frickin' 30!! Gotta get a score of some kind with that field position. On first down another pitch and rumble outside (how many did the Browns run today?) got thwarted by the Ravens' D and Crowell lost 8 yards. Lost. 8. Yards. How about running the ball between the tackles? The Ravens were all over Crowell before he had a chance to think about turning the play upfield...its almost like they were expecting it. Which I'm sure they were, since the Browns ran the ball outside a ton. 2nd-and-18 is no way to start a scoring drive. Bottom line - the offense didn't get the ball deep enough into Raven territory to make the kick easier. After Gipson's pick, the Browns should have been sharks with blood in the water. Instead they were jellyfish.

2) The second, the blocked kick, again I'm placing on the offense. When the Browns get the ball in the red zone with the lead - in effect, when they have their foot on the Ravens' throat - they've gotta finish them. The line has to blow open holes, the backs have to burst through, the clock has gotta run, yardage has to be gained, first downs achieved, and a touchdown scored. Simple to say, I know, and apparently very hard for the Browns to accomplish. At least at this point in the season. The defense again played great the series prior, stopping the Ravens on 4th down and forcing a turnover on downs. And when Hoyer connected with Gabriel for 70 yards to give the Browns' 1st and goal on the Baltimore 9 yard line, I thought the game was over. A team that knows how to win would have won the game right there. RIGHT THERE! They would have punched it in for a TD, capitalizing on the demoralized defense that just gave up a 70-yard play. The Browns couldn't deliver when the opportunity was presented - a stacked-up run, a sack, and a WTF illegal forward pass by Hoyer showed the world where the Browns are right now - a talented team trying to find out how to win.

For the most part, the Browns played very well. Hoyer had a good game, with a very high completion rate, good zip on his passes when needed, and no picks. The defense played tough down the stretch in the 4th quarter with an interception and a stiff 4th-down stop turning the ball over back to the offense. This is a fun team to watch, one that has been in every game until the final whistle. I consider the job that Pettine and Farmer have done to date to be Herculean - assembling enough talent to realistically compete every week, installing new offensive and defensive schemes that the players have adopted and executed pretty well so far, and improving the attitude of the locker room.

It's early in the development of these new Browns, and the they will have growing pains. But these pains aren't a mirage of something that will never be (like we've seen so many times before) - there is real growth here, and the future is bright.

GO BROWNS!!!

Thanks Soumi, you summed up my feelings exactly. Instead of the stadium and bars emptying out after the half it's coming down to the wire. Would rather watch a lost in the last minutes of a game than watch a lost in the 2nd half. Go Browns!

15 years of growing?

Bro you cannot believe how much i'm with you. But hey you want me to poop on my team like everybody here ? I want a winning team with winners. I can't conduct myself like a loser anymore.

Keep your head up Brownies. They're gonna be better against the Titans and get the win. That's all i can say.

Bro you cannot believe how much i'm with you. But hey you want me to poop on my team like everybody here ? I want a winning team with winners. I can't conduct myself like a loser anymore.

Keep your head up Brownies. They're gonna be better against the Titans and get the win. That's all i can say.

Being critical of the horseshit the browns rubbed in our faces today isn't acting like a loser, it's acting like someone who knows horseshit when they see it.

Here's my thing to everything you said. I totally agree, I just don't see the light at the end of the tunnel like you do. I'd understand if the Browns were a good team and are rebuilding because of a new QB, coach retired, etc. But the same mistakes, everything you described above, is what I feel like we say year after year about the team. There's been plenty of regimes, plenty of new QB's and players, and plenty of new front offices. But each year, game after game, we lose games like this. Losing breeds losing and the team can never build enough momentum to not go better than 5-11. It's just a head scratcher to me and makes it really hard to keep the faith. I will always support the Browns, but as the years go on I just don't know.

I don't mean to be a debbie downer on this guys but these losses just get harder and harder.

Being critical of the horseshit the browns rubbed in our faces today isn't acting like a loser, it's acting like someone who knows horseshit when they see it.

True. But do you think this will change something ? I've been critical of the Browns for so long i'm stick doin this. I see the same things as you and i feel the same way as everybody here.

Be supportive and hope for the best.

Pros

3 80 yard drives for TD's

Running game...I Heard on the radio...they call em Baby Backs...terrible name.

No turnovers

Hoyer playing great

We are in it to win it every game.

Ive had a smile on my face for practically 11 of the 12 quarters of Browns Football.

We knew these first 3 games were a tough start to the season.

Its a game of inches and we were close, they will start winning as long as the fan base doesnt give up.

I refuse to read a bunch of negativity. We have a bunch of new guys and a new system,and we are COMPETITIVE!!!!!

Its only going to get better!!!

I agree with most of what you said with the exception of blame on the missed 50 yd field goal. That lies squarely on Cundiff. Regardless of why he had to kick from the 50 HE missed it. He is horrible from 45 and out and we need someone with a much higher % of success for the 45 to 50 range. We should be actively working guys out during the bye.

I agree with most of what you said with the exception of blame on the missed 50 yd field goal. That lies squarely on Cundiff. Regardless of why he had to kick from the 50 HE missed it. He is horrible from 45 and out and we need someone with a much higher % of success for the 45 to 50 range. We should be actively working guys out during the bye.

I agree that the Browns need a new kicker - it seems that every team has a guy that's got a good chance of making a bomb from 50-55 yards except the Browns. I was trying to say that Cundiff would have probably made the kick if it wasn't so far out - and he had to kick it from 50 because the offense actually lost yardage after starting from the Ravens' 30.

Archived