THE BROWNS BOARD

Insider Tidbits

EERSandBROWNS

Apparently this guy is some sort of NFL scout with connections to various teams and a few with the Browns. I have been told he's broken some Browns news in the past, although I don't know for sure. Anyway, its a least worth a look....his post about what he's hearing regarding players and free agency.

None of these really merit their own threads but I find them interesting and kinda important...

--Larry Johnson will either be traded or cut by the Chiefs. And nobody believes anyone will pay his current salary, which means he's likely to be released.

--I heard from a reliable bird that LT is softening his stance and will consider redoing his deal to stay in SD. He might have to change agents in order to do that, so it's still up in the air.

--Cleveland is actively shopping Derek Anderson, with the current asking price a 2nd rounder or two 3rds. I have a hard time believing they won't get that.

--Cleveland will be in the market for a veteran backup QB/Quinn mentor who sucks less than Ken Dorsey. They also are strongly looking at adding a power back and would break the bank for Brandon Jacobs. Jamal Lewis will not be back.

--Detroit is going to release Leigh Bodden and Mike Furrey. Both of those guys are useful and will get lots of attention on the free market. Look for Houston to aggressively pursue Bodden, who was a terrible Tampa-2 fit but plays with the gambling aggression the Texans sorely need. Furrey will make someone a nice #3/#4 wideout and special teamer. He could wind up in Cleveland or Seattle.

--Cassel will be non-exlcusive franchised by the Pats, which means he is free to negotiate with other teams and then work out a deal, or the Pats will get two first rounders. If the Browns are asking for a 2nd for Derek Anderson, I have to think NE will get at least a 1st and 3rd for Cassel. No idea on the suitors yet.

--Carolina is going to do the same with Julius Peppers, with the intent of getting the two firsts and using them to deal to draft a QB. They LOVE Matt Stafford.

--Watch Outside the Lines on Sunday. They are doing a feature on the Texans training camp and how their OL activity violated league rules and got 3 players on IR for the year. There is loads of fire to that smoke and they could very well lose several draft picks because of it. It could ultimately cost some coaching jobs as well. The players have video of being forced into illegal contact activities.

--Jerry Jones finally extends out to precisely what the Cowboys need in Dan Reeves, a seasoned coach and talent evaluator who loves Dallas to help Jerry Jones run the ship. Then Jones insists on including some contractual language that Reeves found "insulting" and the deal blows up. That guy cannot stay out of his own freaking way and it's killing the Cowboys. Reeves said in one interview they are 50/50 on dumping TO, and in another spot on Sirius NFL Radio he said they "badly" want another starting-caliber QB to force Romo to either step up or ship out. Sure sounds like they need Reeves worse than anyone thinks.

Interesting to say the least. Also, in a separate thread over there he makes his predictions about where certain FA's will land. He has us ending up with Jacobs and Nmandi. Not sure if that is even possible, but I guess he thinks so.

Anyways, just thought it was interesting and something to take a look at. Wondering if anyone has read those boards before and can vouch for the guy?

I like the idea of Furrey. He'd make an excellent replacement for the likely retiring Joe J. When all of Detroit's high draft picks were hurt or just plain sucking, he was catching everything in sight.

Doug

My friend's sister is married to Mike Furrey. He told me today that the Browns have not shown interest. 3 teams in the mix so far. Pats, Broncos, & Chiefs.....

He is leaning towards the Patriots right now -

Well take a guess why? Put yourself in his place

AMEN to that...

I was selfishly hoping he would be a Brown....

I don't know the guy, but maybe, just maybe I'd get some cool photos or autographs.

Archived