Al ?

Some more info on Hill in a blog:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/1/27/73...unger-of-sammie

ROUND FOUR

Sammie Lee Hill, 4

Position: DT

School: Stillman

Height: 6-4 Weight: 328

Sammie Lee Hill for his size has been described as having tremendous quickness and athletic ability to move laterally as well as hold the point of attack against the run. He is a I-AA and Division II player. Sammie Lee is a high character individual. He and teammates were involved in saving a man from a burning building.

Sammie Lee is a small school prospect, so playing at a higher level will definitely be a challenge. He is playing in the East West Shrine Game this weekend, so it will be interesting to see how he performs at that level. He could play the nose in a 3-4 or 4-3 over the guard.

I say, he can play DE in the Browns 3-4 rotation til Rodgers retires and then be the NT after he's a couple years older and bigger...

Guest Aloysius

Don't really know much about him. From what I gather, Hill's a big guy who moves well for his size but is incredibly raw when it comes to technique.

Here's a scouting report on Hill:

Positives: Tall with muscular overall build and long arms...Displays excellent agility and quickness for his size...Uses a punch and good hand play to discard offensive tackles at the line of scrimmage...Swats chipping running backs away like flies on the outside...Good closing speed and has the length to wrap up in the backfield...Flashes the initial quickness inside...Bull rushes his man into the pocket when one-on-one inside...Breaks down on the edge and changes direction well for his size...Could project as a 3-4 defensive end.

Negatives: Looks like a man among boys against lower level competition, especially when lined up on the edge, but must prove he can handle the next level physically...Fails to consistently get off double teams when inside...Must work on lowering his pad level so he's not stood up to lose the leverage battle against NFL offensive linemen and be susceptible to cut blocks...Doesn't chase or hustle consistently.

Is this really a need for us? We don't have all of our draft picks and probably already have sufficient depth at DL depending whether that's how Shaun Smith is used.

I think we look for corner, C, or RB in the fourth depending what we don't get in the 2nd.

I think it's a need to start developing a NT to take over the role in a few years? when Rodgers retires, or gets hurt.

I distinctly remember Rodgers going out for a breather on 3rd and long, and the offense ran right up the middle for a first down.

Rodgers is outstanding, but he is a huge dominate guy that needs a big guy to step in and relieve him, I think.

The Browns won't find a shut down corner in the fourth round, but a center is also a good idea. I was thinking to bolster the front three

rotation.

I think any rb that could help the Browns right now won't be there in the fourth, either...

Browns' FA will really mod the draft for the Browns.

As I have pointed out on numerous other threads...the DE position is probably one of our WORST for depth AND starters.

We have only one TRUE starting DE. R.Smith, and he is coming off of injury.

We really have no idea if C.Williams will make the transition from DT to DE due to his shoulder last year.

Outside of that we have a journeyman in Thomas and then untried Purcell.

The remainder who played the position last year are NT's.

We need some 285-310 lb guys with quick feet to fill the DE position...and right now that is woefully lacking on this team. Until we have that...I don't care who we have at OLB...they aren't going to sniff the QB.

That's the thing, Sammie Lee can play DE, imho. He's quick, and has fine lateral movement, he could eventually work into the NT position,

but play DE for a few years.

Hey, what do I know? GGG

• 1 month later...
Guest Aloysius
Four players from Stillman College worked out at the Alabama Pro Day on March 11, with DT Sammie Lee Hill (6-4, 329 pounds) drawing the most interest.

Hill stood on most of his numbers from the combine, though he worked out with defensive line coaches from the Philadelphia Eagles and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, as well as Cleveland Browns defensive line coach Bryan Cox. Hill has also worked out for the New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers, with Steelers assistant head coach/defensive line coach John Mitchell in attendance.

(For more on Hill, check out Vic Carucci’s blog entry from the NFL Scouting Combine.)

I wonder if he'll even be there in the fourth round for the Browns. I think the kid merits a ton of consideration for the Browns..

Archived