THE BROWNS BOARD

Have the Browns EVER had a worse 1st round than THIS???

Canton Mike

Look who we passed up & who we took....I went looking for this as I remembered how upset I was that we picked who we did...now I remember WHY!

1961 - Round 1

Sel # Player Position School Team

1 Tommy Mason RB Tulane Minnesota Vikings

Bob Crespino TE Mississippi Cleveland Browns

Herb Adderley DB Michigan State Green Bay Packers

Bernie Casey WR Bowling Green State San Francisco 49ers

Joe Rutgens DT Illinois Washington Redskins

Mike Ditka TE Pittsburgh Chicago Bears

Billy Kilmer QB UCLA San Francisco 49ers

Marlin McKeever LB USC Los Angeles Rams

Tom Matte RB Ohio State Baltimore Colts

Norm Snead QB Wake Forest Washington Redskins

Jim Johnson DB UCLA San Francisco 49ers

Bob Lilly DT Texas Christian Dallas Cowboys

Seems there's some names there we may recognize???

Mike

In 1961 nobody paid attention to the NFl draft.....I was only 12 at the time, but the best I recall is the draft wasn't a big deal.

You were lucky to have a listing in the paper.

In 1961 nobody paid attention to the NFl draft.....I was only 12 at the time, but the best I recall is the draft wasn't a big deal.

I was 14 then & I DID pay attention to it, but you're right....very little was made of it. I would follow who they took every round.

Mike

Mike "Mad dog in a meat market" Junkin is still the worst ever. #5 overall pick in the first round. Played two seasons, started 7 games and was as awful as a player could be.

The next few picks were Shane Conlin, Jerome Brown and Ron Woodson.

Marty's next two picks were greg Racoczy and Tim Manoa.

The following year Marty took Clifford Charlton in the first round while Chris Speilman was still on the board.

It still shocks me that some people wanted Marty back in this organization. I'm completely serious when I saw there are a number of us on this board that could evaluate talent better that Marty.

I was still 3 years unborn in 1961 but thanks for making me feel like a young un on this board! hehehe ;)

I have to go with 1988...

Drafting LB Clifford Charlton, who is only ignored when people mention "busts" because 1.) He was drafted 21st overall not top 10, and 2.) Most people think that Michael Dean Perry was the Brown's top pick that year. He wasn't.

Selecting Charlton at 21 left the following on the board for the Browns:

RB Lorenzo White

LB Chris Speilman

DB Erik Allen

LT John "Jumbo" Elliot

LB Ken Norton Jr

RB Thurman Thomas

DT Pierce Holt

OC Dermotti Dawson

WR Willie "Flipper" Anderson

Charlton was a bad pick, for sure... but you don't want to be the team that blows a late first round pick ahead of one of the greatest, deepest, and most talented second rounds in NFL history.

What a colossal blunder.

-jj

Mike "Mad dog in a meat market" Junkin is still the worst ever. #5 overall pick in the first round. Played two seasons, started 7 games and was as awful as a player could be.

The next few picks were Shane Conlin, Jerome Brown and Ron Woodson.

Marty's next two picks were greg Racoczy and Tim Manoa.

The following year Marty took Clifford Charlton in the first round while Chris Speilman was still on the board.

It still shocks me that some people wanted Marty back in this organization. I'm completely serious when I saw there are a number of us on this board that could evaluate talent better that Marty.

Mike Junkin Still Haunts Me

"Never take a defensive player from a basketball school" ...hmm ... beware Curry fans, the ghost of Mike Junkin.

Zombo

Always a problem when you take a bust, then have two guys in the next five or so go to the HOF--especially when it's a draft as comparatively recent as 1988 (you figure that a HOF player is going to have a 12-15 year career, which means that they're getting in pretty close to the first ballot). Thurman Thomas is already in, and Dermontti Dawson should have been in a couple of years ago.

Although it's hard to say who's a bust versus who's a good pick while they're still with their original team--I'm comfortable with saying that Gerard Warren and William Green might not have been great picks--it's well nigh impossible to say that taking Winslow instead of Roethlisbergeer wasn't a mistake; forget that he played for Davis, forget that they already had a highly-picked QB on the roster; I thought it was a bad move to pass on him at the time, and I haven't seen a whole lot to convince me that I'll end up thinking I was wrong, regardless of how much I love Winslow's passion out there.

Dennis

Of course, if Winslow leads the team to a couple of Super Bowls, I'll call it a wash.

Had Winslow not gotten hurt, I think in the end he would have proven worthy of getting picked like he did! He is still a hell of a football even with all his injuries.

Mike Junkin Still Haunts Me

"Never take a defensive player from a basketball school" ...hmm ... beware Curry fans, the ghost of Mike Junkin.

Zombo

Ya know Zombo....Although that is a funny piece....It almost convinces me of the idea. Maybe not of the player suggested but of the mindset of offense for now.

i knew you always hated Lawrence Taylor. i thought he was pretty good.

Touche. I think Skippy's rule was "never draft a QB from a basketball school" ... that's a little more tried and tested, although Cutler is working out ... but I'm not sure if Vanderbilt is considered a basketball school ... it certainly isn't a football school.

Zombo

That 60's draft is ancient history. Let's fast forward to the absolute worst Browns draft pick in modern history.

I nominate 2001, hands down. Get ready to hurl. We took Fatso Gerrard Warren. Still on the board?

LaDanian Tomlinson. Richard Seymour. Dan Morgan. Santana Moss. Steve Hutchinson. Casey Hampton. Nate Clemens. Deuce McCallister. Reggie Wayne. Todd Heap.

That 60's draft is ancient history. Let's fast forward to the absolute worst Browns draft pick in modern history.

I nominate 2001, hands down. Get ready to hurl. We took Fatso Gerrard Warren. Still on the board?

LaDanian Tomlinson. Richard Seymour. Dan Morgan. Santana Moss. Steve Hutchinson. Casey Hampton. Nate Clemens. Deuce McCallister. Reggie Wayne. Todd Heap.

OK, I agree. That was the worst ever.

jesus, that's ugly. you win this thread, hoorta.

I started this, but I really have to agree with 2001. Some years, there is NOTHING in the draft when you look back at it.....not so 2001.

Warren was a bust alright, magnified by PLENTY when you see who was still out there....OUCH!!!

Mike

Archived