THE BROWNS BOARD

so what's wrong with the education system?

Westside Steve

We know that the inner city schools which are predominantly black consistently underperform.

I assume Hispanics are at a disadvantage because of the language barrier and the lack of attention to education in their home country that they fled looking for menial labor.

Blacks seem to have a widespread resentment of education or acting all white.

I know the teachers graduate with the same classes, requirements and skill set as any other teacher in Ohio.

As a matter of fact I would wager that many of those teaching in poor schools are actually more engaged in their professions than many in the suburbs.

Teachers are paid about twice the Ohio average salary for far less work.

Anyone have any other guesses as to why the sub standard groups are substandard?

Or why some demographics succeed in these so-called bad schools while others do not?

WSS

Well, again, I'd imagine the poor part of the equation is more important than race. To poor whites in inner city schools consistently out perform their minority classmates?

What is the average Ohio salary and does that include minimum wage service jobs? "Far less work" is your opinion. Teachers deal with a lot of stuff. They're potential one of our most important professions and we shouldn't be driving away talent as we attempt to nickel and dime them.

The same degree doesn't make you as good of a teacher or just as qualified. There's experience, interpersonal skills, communication skills, etc. Especially in a profession like this. How well you can engage the students isn't represented in your GPA.

Many of these teachers may prefer not to work in these schools. Not everyone is Morgan Freeman. Not everyone is striving to "reach theeese keeeedz". The best teachers will probably prefer a better work environment, potentially more pay, and potentially the opportunity to teach moe interesting/advanced classes and more advanced students.

I believe that the problem lies with leadership. There is often a lack of leadership

in many poor homes, poor areas. Fatherless, mother works...maybe...welfare,

crime, A subculture of "why work? welfare pays more"..... having children out of

wedlock for the financial assistance....

Self-destructive subcultures explains it.

Those who have a parent or parents, who keep them out of the subculture,

have a far greater chance.

I think this might be something to do with it:

I don't know about hispanics, so much. They tend to be portrayed that way in tv shows like breaking bad, but I don't know how representative that is of real life. But for black kids, anyone seen to be trying hard is 'being too white' which is apparently a bad thing. This presumably comes from the centuries of oppression of blacks by whites?! What a concept. So maybe it's something that will work itself out?

One thing I do know for sure is that you need strong black role models in a community to stand up and show these kids that trying to better yourself isn't 'being white' it's being smart, and that's not a bad thing.

Sad yes that article is interesting enough yet I don't think it has much to do with our educational system but a great deal to do with what passes for culture.

Chris I think Charles Barkley is correct. And Woody, nobody is saying now nor have they ever said, as far as I know, that these traits are inherent because of genetics or DNA of black people. Black people do adopt these irresponsible mannerisms (as Cal says) but anyone of any race is able to do that. And anyone from any race has the capacity to succeed.

WSS

If the student doesn't have a strong family support system, they're doomed.

The baby is born- you have to put the kid on your lap and read to he/she, so they appreciate books and learning. It sounds so simple, yet this is unfortunately ignored (and probably has been in some households going back a long long time) in both the inner city and suburbia.

I'm no Einstein, but I did go to Cleveland Public Schools exclusively (graduated in 1981). We moved to Berea (suburb of Cleveland for you out-of-towners) and I saw some suburban kids struggle when I helped out in the reading labs at my boys' elementary school.

I don't like excuses, but I do think that some people are either too busy, too self-absorbed, or maybe just not aware that they need to read to their kids. There is too much reliance on pre-school, and school to educate their children. Maybe my theory is too simple, but that's my 2 cents.

I figured my kids needed to learn how to read, be respectful, and if I sent them to the store to buy bread & milk for instance, they would not get ripped off by a cashier. Oh, and they needed to love the Browns, Indians, Cavs, & Ohio State lol.

Barkley hit it on the head. My wife and her sister got 8 kinds of hell growing up because they were honors students and their parents were "rich" (dad was a teacher, mom was an RN). They were middle class but to morons that is rich.

My wife told those people to fuck off and surrounded herself with intelligent, like-minded people. Her sister stayed an honors student but kept trying to cater to idiots. She has an MBA but her life is in constant crisis even at age 37 because she chooses to hang out with thugs and hood rats who leech her dry.

Sad yes that article is interesting enough yet I don't think it has much to do with our educational system but a great deal to do with what passes for culture.

Chris I think Charles Barkley is correct. And Woody, nobody is saying now nor have they ever said, as far as I know, that these traits are inherent because of genetics or DNA of black people. Black people do adopt these irresponsible mannerisms (as Cal says) but anyone of any race is able to do that. And anyone from any race has the capacity to succeed.

WSS

It does a bit, sepcially this part here:

"But, of course, it's not just a matter of dollars and cents. It's also a matter of letters and words. Affluent parents talk to their kids three more hours a week on average than poor parents, which is critical during a child's formative early years. That's why, as Stanford professor Sean Reardon explains, "rich students are increasingly entering kindergarten much better prepared to succeed in school than middle-class students," and they're staying that way."

Education starts at home.

Yes.

And that's not the arena of the educational system. That's the responsibility of family. That is adhering to something other than a culture of victimization, welfare and rebellion.

A child with those values present at home will probably do well in an inner city Apalachin or wallpaper suburban school.

WSS

Logic does it seem to you that in biracial relationships a black woman and a white man are usually higher up the social ladder than vice versa? Not always of course but in general.

WSS

My life experiences say pretty much yeah. There could be some big collection of data that I don't know about. But in my day to day life, I would say yeah.

I know I saw statistics recently that said black women are graduating from universities and joining the work force at a much higher rate than black males. White males traditionally are high in both of those categories so I could definitely see why there would be a higher propensity for black woman/white male relationships to be higher up the social ladder.

Found an article linking to said stats:

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/04/03/3422550/black-women-education-work/

“Though all women lead their male counterparts in college enrollment and degree attainment,” the report says, “Black women do so at higher rates than any other group of women in America.” In 2010, they were 66 percent of all blacks who finished a Bachelor’s Degree, 71 percent with a Master’s, and 65 percent with a Doctorate."

I can only guess that single parent homes in the black community are predominantly ran by the mother. For a daughter, they would represent a strong female figure. Males don't have a dad around and so they end up looking to male father figures in the community who could be Jamal the local drug dealer. I could also just be completely out of my lane on this. I am not a sociologist.

So...the smarter black women want to get away from the slums/ghettos and end up with white guys (or asian, hispanic whatever), and we're left with a load of single black male gangster types? Then, presumably, they have less chance to reproduce and their numbers (in relative terms at least) will dwindle?

So...the smarter black women want to get away from the slums/ghettos and end up with white guys (or asian, hispanic whatever), and we're left with a load of single black male gangster types? Then, presumably, they have less chance to reproduce and their numbers (in relative terms at least) will dwindle?

Wishful thinking but the dumb black women that stick around in awful neighborhoods make up for being dumb by producing as many children as they can with said black male gangster types.

Archived