THE BROWNS BOARD

Cavs made offer for Stoudamire...

titleist585

Believing that Amare Stoudemire could make the difference with winning an NBA title and ultimately keeping LeBron James, the Cleveland Cavaliers made a bid to the Phoenix Suns for the All-Star power forward, two league sources familiar with the offer said Friday.

Cleveland general manager Danny Ferry offered the expiring contract of Wally Szcerbiak, rookie J.J. Hickson and a first-round pick for Stoudemire earlier in the week, sources said. Anderson Varejao was mentioned in a possible scenario too, sources said.

Nevertheless, the proposal has generated little enthusiasm out of Suns GM Steve Kerr.

When asked about the Cavaliers’ interest in Stoudemire on Friday, Ferry texted to Yahoo! Sports, “No discussions at this time.”

Odds are, the Cavaliers and Suns would need to find a third team to get Stoudemire in the frontcourt with James.

As the Cavaliers try to find more size to compete with the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers for a title, league sources say they’re intrigued with Los Angeles Clippers center Marcus Camby. League executives say that the Clippers have been actively trying to unload payroll.

As the Miami Heat left the Stoudemire market with Friday’s trade with the Toronto Raptors, the Cavs are still hoping that the Suns’ inclination is to trade Stoudemire out of the Western Conference.

Chicago is still considered a strong contender in the Eastern Conference, but one source familiar with the team’s discussions says there hasn’t been a lot of back-and-forth with the Suns in the past 48 hours.

League executives still believe Memphis can be a major factor should owner Michael Heisley relent on taking back the money on Stoudemire’s contract. Sacramento has made a series of overtures on Stoudemire – with discussions at the ownership level. Also, the Kings have the intriguing asset of a pick that could turn into the No. 1 selection in the June draft. The Suns are talking with multiple teams, but still haven’t been blown away with any offer for Stoudemire.

The Cavaliers haven’t heard back from the Suns since midweek, sources say. For the Suns, Cleveland’s offer is flawed. Varejao is an excellent defender and rebounder, but struggles to score. His value is much greater on a good team than a rebuilding program. Hickson was the Cavaliers’ first-round pick out of North Carolina State, a talented but raw 20-year-old rookie power forward. He’s still far from an impact player Also, the Cavs’ draft pick will be late in the first round.

What still worries rivals NBA executives about Cleveland’s ability to work a deal for Stoudemire is the close relationship between Ferry and Kerr. They’re extremely tight and alumni of the San Antonio Spurs have a history of doing deals amongst themselves. For now, the Cavaliers seem content to let Phoenix solicit offers between now and Thursday’s trade deadline, and see if somehow they could revisit the Stoudemire derby. Most teams are wondering just how desperate the Suns are to lower payroll and how dramatically that will affect the caliber of talent and salary they’ll bring back for Stoudemire.

Believing that Amare Stoudemire could make the difference with winning an NBA title and ultimately keeping LeBron James, the Cleveland Cavaliers made a bid to the Phoenix Suns for the All-Star power forward, two league sources familiar with the offer said Friday.

Cleveland general manager Danny Ferry offered the expiring contract of Wally Szcerbiak, rookie J.J. Hickson and a first-round pick for Stoudemire earlier in the week, sources said. Anderson Varejao was mentioned in a possible scenario too, sources said.

Nevertheless, the proposal has generated little enthusiasm out of Suns GM Steve Kerr.

When asked about the Cavaliers’ interest in Stoudemire on Friday, Ferry texted to Yahoo! Sports, “No discussions at this time.”

Odds are, the Cavaliers and Suns would need to find a third team to get Stoudemire in the frontcourt with James.

As the Cavaliers try to find more size to compete with the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers for a title, league sources say they’re intrigued with Los Angeles Clippers center Marcus Camby. League executives say that the Clippers have been actively trying to unload payroll.

As the Miami Heat left the Stoudemire market with Friday’s trade with the Toronto Raptors, the Cavs are still hoping that the Suns’ inclination is to trade Stoudemire out of the Western Conference.

Chicago is still considered a strong contender in the Eastern Conference, but one source familiar with the team’s discussions says there hasn’t been a lot of back-and-forth with the Suns in the past 48 hours.

League executives still believe Memphis can be a major factor should owner Michael Heisley relent on taking back the money on Stoudemire’s contract. Sacramento has made a series of overtures on Stoudemire – with discussions at the ownership level. Also, the Kings have the intriguing asset of a pick that could turn into the No. 1 selection in the June draft. The Suns are talking with multiple teams, but still haven’t been blown away with any offer for Stoudemire.

The Cavaliers haven’t heard back from the Suns since midweek, sources say. For the Suns, Cleveland’s offer is flawed. Varejao is an excellent defender and rebounder, but struggles to score. His value is much greater on a good team than a rebuilding program. Hickson was the Cavaliers’ first-round pick out of North Carolina State, a talented but raw 20-year-old rookie power forward. He’s still far from an impact player Also, the Cavs’ draft pick will be late in the first round.

What still worries rivals NBA executives about Cleveland’s ability to work a deal for Stoudemire is the close relationship between Ferry and Kerr. They’re extremely tight and alumni of the San Antonio Spurs have a history of doing deals amongst themselves. For now, the Cavaliers seem content to let Phoenix solicit offers between now and Thursday’s trade deadline, and see if somehow they could revisit the Stoudemire derby. Most teams are wondering just how desperate the Suns are to lower payroll and how dramatically that will affect the caliber of talent and salary they’ll bring back for Stoudemire.

NBA rumors swirl about Cleveland Cavaliers having a chance to get Amar'e Stoudemire

by Brian Windhorst/Plain Dealer Reporter

Friday February 13, 2009, 8:40 PM

AP PhotoCould Amare Stoudemire end up in Cleveland?

The rumor mill surrounding the NBA trade market exploded Friday following the first major trade of deadline season with Shawn Marion moving from Miami to Toronto for Jermaine O'Neal.

In its wake, several media outlets, including ESPN, hinted the Cavs have emerged as contenders for the Phoenix Suns' Amar'e Stoudemire.

According to multiple league sources, the Cavs have indeed had talks with the Suns since Stoudemire became available and have discussed various packages that would work, including expiring contracts, draft picks, cash and young players, namely rookie J.J. Hickson.

However, the Cavs still aren't sure they truly want to alter their chemistry and also believe there are other teams offering the Suns more attractive packages. At this point, team officials believe such a deal has a very slim chance of happening for both of these reasons.

Suns GM Steve Kerr has said publicly that the team has not made a firm decision on whether to trade Stoudemire. Because of All-Star Weekend, there will be no transactions permitted until next week.

What still worries rivals NBA executives about Cleveland’s ability to work a deal for Stoudemire is the close relationship between Ferry and Kerr. They’re extremely tight and alumni of the San Antonio Spurs have a history of doing deals amongst themselves.

Go get 'em Danny boy!

I'll probably keep reading the articles, but I don't even really want to think about this until the deadline (or, you know, until it happens). I'm glad to hear he made the offer, pretty much what some of us here were thinking only I'd make it two first rounders. It really is a horrible package when it comes to getting one of the elite players in the league though, which makes it so maddening. The Suns don't even really have any bad contracts we could take on.

Unless someone offers an all-star calibur player in return, I don't see the point in Phoenix trading him this year. Maybe next year at the deadline when they know he's not going to re-sign that package will excite them more (just replace Wally's expiring contract with Ben's).

Honestly I'd rather trade for Shaq and play the Amare/Bosh/etc sweepstakes in 2010.

Guest ATENEARS

I agree CIMO, I'd pick up Shaq to win now, or Stoudemire to build for the future. I don't like that Lebron has us under the gun to win before his contract is up. The best deal for the franchise would be to get Staudemire, the best del to win it all this year would be to get Shaq.

I'm just happy that we are still in the hunt. That's a good sign.

I'd be happy with Camby, too. I don't think the salaries match up with Wally though so it might take some creativity. I'm fine giving up Varejao, maybe not Hickson but I wouldn't complain with that.

I'm staying far away from Brad Miller, though.

Guest ATENEARS

Man, after seeing Stoudemire starting for the West last night in the All-Star game, I'm really leaning toward hoping the Cavs pull the trigger here and bring Lebron his Scotty Pippen.

Lebron, Stoudemire and Mo Williams? ... oh man!

Man, after seeing Stoudemire starting for the West last night in the All-Star game, I'm really leaning toward hoping the Cavs pull the trigger here and bring Lebron his Scotty Pippen.

Lebron, Stoudemire and Mo Williams? ... oh man!

Yeah he's a stud.

We'll see if Danny Ferry has Danny Ainge-sized balls to pull it off.

Zombo

Archived