THE BROWNS BOARD

Anyone voting today?

West Virginia is a wasteland. Two people who aren't qualified to be local dog-catcher

and tonight one of them will be a U.S. Senator. And the pity is that that person will

fit right in with the rest of the Senate.

I was curious, so I'm looking at a couple of videos. Shelley Moore Capito first, sounds stupid. Nathalie Tennant sounds no better. Both seem to be running on the grounds of "we don't want the government to interfere with WV" - well, good luck with that.

The debate between Tennant and Capito was embarrassing. If one of the studio staff was named Cole, both of them would have blown him on camera out of sheer confusion. "OH! You meant C-O-L-E! *wipes mouth*"

I've watched less than 5 minutes of talk from either of them and I get this joke. That's how bad they are.

I was curious, so I'm looking at a couple of videos. Shelley Moore Capito first, sounds stupid. Nathalie Tennant sounds no better. Both seem to be running on the grounds of "we don't want the government to interfere with WV" - well, good luck with that.

The elections here are just a fight to see who can ingratiate themselves more to the coal companies. So the debates are cringeworthy.

No West Virginia politician does. Their job is to maintain the red carpet treatment for the coal industry and that is all they focus on. The state has a terrible taxation system for all other types of businesses. Small businesses get boned here.

The state hemorrhages college grads and it isn't all of Appalachia who is experiencing that. WV college grads have to move to Ohio or South to find decent jobs.

So I'm watching the debate now (I have nothing else to do).

Is there anyone in WV that doesn't work in a coal mine? Presumably diseases like bronchitis and TB (along with longest word in English: Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis) are common there? Do you have Geordie lamps instead of street lights?

I'm bored of this now. As described, they're just going back and forth over who can give the biggest shout-out to the coal miners, and not talking about anything else.

About 20k people involved in coal in West Virginia. About 1.8m people in West Virginia. So even if you assume that each of those coal-workers are supporting a family of 6(?) you're still talking to less than 10% of the population.

I'm bored of this now. As described, they're just going back and forth over who can give the biggest shout-out to the coal miners, and not talking about anything else.

About 20k people involved in coal in West Virginia. About 1.8m people in West Virginia. So even if you assume that each of those coal-workers are supporting a family of 6(?) you're still talking to less than 10% of the population.

The rest are on government assistance, working retail jobs to supply services to the miners and their families, or working in the small bit of forestry work (me).

for the US House of representatives I have one choice - In person he's a nice guy but as a Representative he is a John Boehner sock puppet. Several of the counties in his congressional district used various tricks to keep Independent and Libertarian candidates off the ballot, and the district is such that the Democrats didn't bother to field a candidate.

Which is meaningless, anyway. Because he represents me, and about 800,000 other people plus his real constitutents, the lobbyists. Representative Republic my ass......

Capito: "Obama is BAAAAAAD"

Tennant: Capito is BAAAAAAD"

Neither have actual policies.

Expecting the political class to have policies that benefit a wide range of people is a recipe for futility. Even very smart people like Herbert Hoover cant manage the totality that is the U.S.

No West Virginia politician does. Their job is to maintain the red carpet treatment for the coal industry and that is all they focus on. The state has a terrible taxation system for all other types of businesses. Small businesses get boned here.

The state hemorrhages college grads and it isn't all of Appalachia who is experiencing that. WV college grads have to move to Ohio or South to find decent jobs.

Exactly. The mantra of this election has been "Obama's War on Coal" and the heathen EPA.

Shelley Moore Capito is the daughter of Arch Moore, former WV congressman and governor, and ex-con.

He went to federal prison for extortion, obstruction, etc. His pattern of corruption goes back to the 1960's.

Google "Buffalo Creek Disaster" and you will see everything you need to know about Arch Moore. Shelley

basically got elected to congress because, inexplicably, there are a lot of West Virginian's who think Arch was the shit.

Natalie Tennant was the first ever female Mountaineer mascot at WVU. She is presently secretary of state and if you've

watched the debates it is painfully obvious that neither candidate is worthy of the United States Senate.

Yes, Capito always beats the drum of "government baaaad", although whenever anything that is beneficial to the people

opens or is instituted with help/money from the federal government, Shelley is right there to get her picture taken so that

everyone can see what a great job she's doing as the people's representative.

So I'm watching the debate now (I have nothing else to do).

Is there anyone in WV that doesn't work in a coal mine? Presumably diseases like bronchitis and TB (along with longest word in English: Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis) are common there? Do you have Geordie lamps instead of street lights?

WV has a population of roughly 1.8 million people. 21,000 of which are coal miners. It's fascinating, in a very depressing

way, the sway that coal/coal companies have over this state. In the 1950's there were 150,000 coal miners. The drop since

then is due mostly to automation--coal companies discovered they could mine more coal for less money if they used machines

instead of men. Now almost all of the "good" coal in deep seams has already been mined. Coal mined out West is cheaper

but it's "Obama's War on Coal" and the EPA that is responsible for the plight of the coal miner in WV.

As Logic said, WV politicians only job is to maintain the red carpet/knee pads for the coal companies. Add to that a lot of

ignorant people who consistently vote against their own interests.

Perhaps congress should do it's job and put a damper not on Coal but the EPA. Coal is still among the cheapest way of generating power, and coal burning plants are very clean compared to the 1970s. If anyone remembers seeing the smoke coming out of the stack in an 1970s era plant versus the coal plants of today you would never imagine they are burning the same fuel. Particulate counts went from parts per million to measuring parts per billion.

any one that lives in an area with electricity generated by coal plants, or in an area where the EPA has taken coal plants off line has probably noticed, as I have, an increase in the electric bill.

Perhaps it was necessary at the time, but now it seems that the EPA is one of the dirtiest tricks Richard Nixon played on the United States Citizenry.

Without trying to get into a pissing match over the EPA and the War on Coal, I will say that if you go

to the coalfields of southern WV--where most of the coal was mined and made coal companies EXTREMELY

rich--you will find something that more resembles a third world shitthole. That is what I was referring to when

I spoke of ignorant people voting against their best interests. Wyoming and McDowell counties in WV are among

the poorest areas in the U.S. It is no exaggeration to say that they look like third world wastelands. It is difficult

to look at these areas and argue that coal has been good for the people that live there.

In WV, the problem is the coal companies. (Ex; They just recently poisoned the water of multiple counties). They claim the EPA is the problem when really the same companies are moving into natural gas and saving a dime then swearing it is the EPA's fault that they are having to lay people off.

In the water poisoning fiasco, Freedom Industries, the company responsible for the leak of poisonous chemicals into the water supply,

declared bankruptcy just days after the leak, absolving themselves of all financial responsibility. State politicians didn't miss a beat in

urging the EPA not to overreact with "punishing" regulations against the industry.

Archived