THE BROWNS BOARD

London 2015

gftChris

Hopefully they discounted the season ticket holders for one missed game.

You'd hope so, along with offering first refusal on tickets for the Wembley game - I'm sure plenty of fans will travel over to watch their team.

Doesn't seem the Browns will be there, according to Adam Schefter:

Dolphins host Jets in London on Oct. 4, 2015;

Jags host Bills there Oct. 25;

Chiefs host Lions in London Nov 1, 2015.

They won't come out with the NFL schedule until like next April. Why would they commit to these game so far in advance.

For what its worth, Chiefs and Dolphins lose a home game apparently, which they may not be so happy about. Jax has signed up to lose a home every year for like 5 years. Losing a home game to them is no great loss.

GFT: are the Brits going to "adopt" the Jags as their "home team" since the Jags are committed to play in London every year?

Also....is the "one game in Toronto" for the Bills still an ongoing program?

Not sure about adopting the Jags - it would be a lot easier to do so if they were winning. Most people here are either Patriot fans, or whoever won the superbowl when they started watching. Probably about half pats, and then a smattering of other teams.

Not sure about adopting the Jags - it would be a lot easier to do so if they were winning. Most people here are either Patriot fans, or whoever won the superbowl when they started watching. Probably about half pats, and then a smattering of other teams.

In other words, you are all a bunch of FRAKs!!

As a European there are a couple of things I just don't get about these London games.

1. Knowing how meticulously NFL teams prepare the games, a road trip to Europe is far too disruptive for both teams playing in London. In addition to that the home team loses the slight advantage of playing in its own stadium (and the fans are stripped of one home game out of 8 only). If NFL decided to stop playing in Europe, I couldn't but agree.

2. If it has to be Europe, why only London then? I appreciate that there are a number of UK fans of the game and that in the low cost flight era you can fly to UK with relatively cheap tickets, but football fans are many all over Europe. Germany and France could be good locations for those games (as you can see I'm not even mentioning Italy, although a game in Milan or Rome could well be a sellout)

3. A EU franchise...I don't know about that. Only one would be too little to avoid the situation where the other division and conference teams are penalised by the travelling hours, reduced time to prepare the game and jet lag to overcome. And we would not have enough market for multiple teams and/or one entire division in Europe.

Having said that, should the Browns go to play in London one day, I'd certainly be there. But, well, I don't know if this is good choice by the Commissioner.

As a European there are a couple of things I just don't get about these London games.

1. Knowing how meticulously NFL teams prepare the games, a road trip to Europe is far too disruptive for both teams playing in London. In addition to that the home team loses the slight advantage of playing in its own stadium (and the fans are stripped of one home game out of 8 only). If NFL decided to stop playing in Europe, I couldn't but agree.

2. If it has to be Europe, why only London then? I appreciate that there are a number of UK fans of the game and that in the low cost flight era you can fly to UK with relatively cheap tickets, but football fans are many all over Europe. Germany and France could be good locations for those games (as you can see I'm not even mentioning Italy, although a game in Milan or Rome could well be a sellout)

3. A EU franchise...I don't know about that. Only one would be too little to avoid the situation where the other division and conference teams are penalised by the travelling hours, reduced time to prepare the game and jet lag to overcome. And we would not have enough market for multiple teams and/or one entire division in Europe.

Having said that, should the Browns go to play in London one day, I'd certainly be there. But, well, I don't know if this is good choice by the Commissioner.

When they were running the old NFL Europa league, I believe at one point all the teams but one were located in Germany. So, I agree.....why just have games in London. I suspect an NFL game in the Rhineland would go over big. (and for Americans, FYI the "Rhineland" is actually the second largest metropolitan area in Europe)

D'accordo. I don't even particularly like having the london games here - everything gets too Anglicised, and there's a lot of pandering to the local dummies who don't know and don't care. I'd be much happier if it moved around like you say - berlin, barcelona, paris etc.

And a franchise here has too many obstacles - not to mention legal issues with the EU - to ever get off the ground.

Archived