THE BROWNS BOARD

Would anyone be dissapointed if the Browns took Crabtree is he's still there?

Guest Dacaddyman

Guest Dacaddyman

I sure the hell wouldn't. Might be arguably the best player in the draft but I dont see the Lions taking yet another receiver this year :lol: I seriously don't think KC or Rams will draft him. Seattle might so that means there is a 50/50 chance he will still be there. :)

Guest Dacaddyman
drafting a WR would be dumb, between stallworth and BE we're fine at WR. not to mention winslow, and hieden.

:huh: Stallworth? :lol: How much has he played since he's been here? Heiden? :blink:<_< would not consider him a staple in our offense. Good backup though. So you would rather go with that lineup instead of Crabtree,Edwards,Stallworth in the slot(if he can ever get healthy) Winslow and Rucker? We can get Crabtree and still get our LB's. I heard many times that the draft is deep with linebackers. Hell we can get LB's in free agency(depending whether or not they resign of we make a serious run for them) Dansby,Farrior,Suggs,B.Scott, and of course Julius Peppers. If we can land at lest 2 of those guys we can still get another one in the draft.

Guest Dacaddyman

I'm sorry but I have to comment on Stallworth again! :huh: I don't care what he did in NE, he hasn't showed me sh*t yet in Cleveland. Well the only thing he has showed me is that he is CONSTANTLY injured and grossly OVERPAYED! 7 years contract? are they for real? :blink: The only reason I that I can think of for that is cap space or something. What has Stallworth done to merit not drafting Crabtree to take his place?

its called drafting needs over a flashy WR. same reason drafting joe thomas was better than getting a WR that year. you can't just draft WRs and RBs every single year. you have to fill out your other positions.

we have a solid recieving core, now that we'll have a QB that can get the ball to them we'll have a fine offense

I wouldn't be disappointed, but I don't think we should take Crabtree with our first pick, our glaring need is on the D right now.

About Stallworth...I think if we can find a receiver in FA to take his place then he's gone. I know that Savage thought he could be a good #2, he was when healthy, but the guy has been plagued by injury his whole career.

In my opinion we either take Curry at #5 or trade down.

Guest Dacaddyman
I would be. I want a trade down for more picks.

The defense just has to be addressed. Look at the Super bowl winners this year. The league's #1 defense.

Just because they had the number 1 defense doesn't mean you have to have a number 1 defense. Last year(10-6) our offense was in the top 5 or so and if we had at least a top 10 rated defense instead od one rated at 31st, we would have been contenders. we are closer to having an elite offense than we are a defense. We can still get pieces from free agency and continue to build the D because face it, it can only get better no matter what. I say if you can get another major weapon GET IT. Add to the arsenal. Get another RT if possible. My FA priorities would be OLB,ILB,RT,and C. My Draft priorities would be RB,WR,DL, and a OLB. If you can get a guy like bart scott to play inside next to jackson then all we need in the draft is pass rushers. Then there are always the undrafted free agents. Maybe we can find a good gem at ILB to groom with Scott.

drafting a WR would be dumb, between stallworth and BE we're fine at WR. not to mention winslow, and hieden.

It may be unconventional, but it wouldn't be dumb.

Edwards is gone after this year or we will have to pay him way too much to keep him, and Dainty just doesn't have it.

I agree....it isn't a need today as compared to other positions....but need isn't the way to draft. It is a part of the process no doubt, but it shouldn't be the singular purpose. You do have to think long term. Sure taking some lesser player at a position of need might win an extra game or two this year, but in the long run....???

Crabtree might be the best player in the draft...even selecting Curry is taking a lesser talent....but it is close enough to warrant allowing needs to swing the vote.

If Curry is gone and Crabtree is on the board, it would be dumb not to select him.

Depends on what we do in free agency. If we bring in some serious LB help (Crowder, Suggs, etc.) then I might be willing to pass on Curry. Still, I think the possibility of trading down if Crabtree falls to us is too strong, so I can't very well justify taking him at #5.

This is a catch 22 thread..hehehe

I like many others on here feel we need desperately to solidify our defense with a solid impact linebacker but on the otherhand quinn/da/whoever will have no one to throw too except butterfingers and maybe kw2...to me this is a big problem as well.

My first instinct if curry isnt on the board at #5 is to grab crabtree in the unlikely event he is still there at #5 if both are gone we should try to trade down and go for rey mauluga...

The unseen factor is who will we trade and for what before the draft?

Butterfingers is a likely candidate to not cut it in the mankok regime just watching him on last seasons film should be enough to warrant extreme concern from both the coach and GM...kw2 as much as i like him may be approaching the end of his game..smart money parts with him before the inevidable occurs and the browns are left holding the bill(again)..DA is already as good as gone rumors keep surfacing that the browns are already shopping him for a #2...

We have a lot of holes to plug and uncertainty on both sides of the ball and a bad drafting situation unless something gives soon...

I consider our WR corps an area of extreme need as well..we are thin there and emo and me me first mental which is a problem..

I would be estatic if he is still on the board t #5. This would absolutely be the best possible situation for the Browns. If we want a trade down?..... Teams will be all over us for this dude. We could pick up SEVERAL nice high picks for crabtreee.

If the value is not there in a trade for us. Take him at #5 and do the happy dance! We could have a 1-2-3 punch like no one in the afc. I think Quinn would be drooling over a Crabtree pick. To have Crabtree, Braylon and Stallworth... very ..very nice. (not sure stallworth would still be there..but the 7 year deal is pretty cap friendly I believe). But that would put such pressure on the defensive backfields.. we could actually live another year with Jamal.

I don't know, we definitely need an impact player at that pick, and WR generally take a few years to develop, even the top 10 ones.

We certainly need to solidify the defense first however we may need to look at FA for at least a true possession reciever our WR position is thin,mental and brittle at best as it stands 1 injury/mental breakdown and we return to last years disaster and mangini will likely want to go with the traditional big blocking TE set..i think our offense may be in serious trouble for a while unless we can do something to bolster our recieving corp and hank frail-ey has to go hadnothing may be able to handle the center only slightly better...

You don't HAVE to have a #1 defense, but like the saying goes...DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

I forgot to add this.

Lets look back from from the 1999 year Super Bowl to this past year and see what the winning teams defensive ranking was.

'99 Rams - Total Yards Rank TotYds PassComp PassAtt PassYds PassYPA PassTds PassInts RushAtt RushYds RushYPA RushTds

7 5056 319 596 3867 6.49 19 29 338 1189 3.52 4

'00 Ravens - Total Yards Rank TotYds PassComp PassAtt PassYds PassYPA PassTds PassInts RushAtt RushYds RushYPA RushTds

1 4145 295 528 3175 6.01 11 23 361 970 2.69 5

'01 Pats - Total Yards Rank TotYds PassComp PassAtt PassYds PassYPA PassTds PassInts RushAtt RushYds RushYPA RushTds

24 5586 299 546 3731 6.83 15 22 430 1855 4.31 7

'02 Bucs - Total Yards Rank TotYds PassComp PassAtt PassYds PassYPA PassTds PassInts RushAtt RushYds RushYPA RushTds

1 4339 259 510 2785 5.46 10 31 410 1554 3.79 8

'03 Pats - Total Yards Rank TotYds PassComp PassAtt PassYds PassYPA PassTds PassInts RushAtt RushYds RushYPA RushTds

7 4919 328 618 3485 5.64 11 29 401 1434 3.58 10

'04 Pats - Total Yards Rank TotYds PassComp PassAtt PassYds PassYPA PassTds PassInts RushAtt RushYds RushYPA RushTds

9 5283 315 538 3711 6.90 18 20 405 1572 3.88 9

'05 Steelers - Total Yards Rank TotYds PassComp PassAtt PassYds PassYPA PassTds PassInts RushAtt RushYds RushYPA RushTds

5 4848 315 549 3480 6.34 15 15 402 1368 3.40 10

'06 Colts - Total Yards Rank TotYds PassComp PassAtt PassYds PassYPA PassTds PassInts RushAtt RushYds RushYPA RushTds

17 5473 266 414 2705 6.53 16 15 519 2768 5.33 20

'07 Giants - Total Yards Rank TotYds PassComp PassAtt PassYds PassYPA PassTds PassInts RushAtt RushYds RushYPA RushTds

7 4880 306 523 3317 6.50 24 15 408 1563 4.19 12

'08 Steelers - Total Yards Rank TotYds PassComp PassAtt PassYds PassYPA PassTds PassInts RushAtt RushYds RushYPA RushTds

1 3796 301 533 2512 4.71 12 20 390 1284 3.29 7

8 out of the last 10 Super Bowl winning teams had a defense in the top 10. Coincidence?

EDIT: Sorry the chart came out crappy.

its called drafting needs over a flashy WR. same reason drafting joe thomas was better than getting a WR that year. you can't just draft WRs and RBs every single year. you have to fill out your other positions.

we have a solid recieving core, now that we'll have a QB that can get the ball to them we'll have a fine offense

Do you honestly believe that they have a solid receiving corps? HONESTLY?? What receivers were you watching last year? JJ? Nope. Stallworth? Mostly Nope. BE? When he bothered to catch it. Winslow? When he wasn't injured. But they are solid, right?

The best thing the Browns can do is take the best player available. If it's Crabtree, then so be it.

Neb is absolutely correct. This WR corps is anything but solid. It needs a complete overhaul. BE sucks. One good year amongst a plethora of bad years. I will be saying "good riddance" when he's gone. $8m per year for the league leader in dropped passes...no thanks!

This isn't a situation where it's Super Bowl 2009 or bust. This is gonna take a few years and a few drafts. We can be competitive sooner rather than later, but it's gonna take more than the 2009 offseason to right this ship.

We need LBs, we need a DE, we need Safeties, we need OL, we need a RB, and yes, we need WRs. That's just starters. We also need depth. I don't want to see late round projects thrown into the fire when a starter goes down.

-Al

I agree....you can't just look at things in the here and now...you have to project down the road every once in a while.

After this season, we are going to have a major hole at receiver.

If Crabtree is there and some of the others are gone...you take the best player.

Free agency is all about needs....it has nothing to do with stocking talent.

The draft has to be used to stock talent even if in there here and now, it might not look to be the best move.

JMO

It's funny how WRs get really good when the quarterback play improves... like in Atlanta, where it was all their fault that Vick sucked. Randy Moss really fell off in Oakland but shined in New England. Wonder why?

It's the quarterback, people.

Again, good post Shep. I agree. Each can compliment the other, but in the end if the Qb doesn't get him the ball it just doesn't matter.

Just because they had the number 1 defense doesn't mean you have to have a number 1 defense. Last year(10-6) our offense was in the top 5 or so and if we had at least a top 10 rated defense instead od one rated at 31st, we would have been contenders.

The key word there is "Contenders".

That is not good enough. Championships are all that count and defenses will get you there faster than offenses.

I agree....you can't just look at things in the here and now...you have to project down the road every once in a while.

After this season, we are going to have a major hole at receiver.

Exactly 'peen. What are we gonna do about WRs in 2010? If BE stinks it up in 2009, are we gonna force the issue and draft a reach in the 2010 Draft like we're trying to do with LBs this year? On the flip side, what if BE lights it up in 2009? Are we gonna franchise him for $8m per year and sign him to a long term contract only to see him stink it up after that?

BE's inconsistency is what drives me nuts. Especially for the kind of money he's been making.

BPA!

I'm not opposed to a trade-down, but you have to weigh the option of getting someone who is considered the best player in the draft versus a couple extra picks for players who will be solid. 2 solid starters or one superstar? Considering how much we need, it's very tempting to go with quantity over quality, which is usually a bad choice.

If we could trade down and get a mid 1st and a mid 2nd, to go along with a mid 2nd for DA, that doesn't look bad. 3 2nd rounders? Actually, that looks fantastic on paper. A RB, a Center, and a Guard in the 2nd to go along with a LB in the 1st? Sounds nice. Or a RB, a C/OG, and a LB/DE to go along with a LB/DE in the 1st? That sounds nice, too.

If we stay at #5, we need to draft a guy who is going to have a major impact. We can't use the #5 overall on a guy who will just be a solid starter. We need a major impact player at that spot.

BPA!

-Al

when BQ is throwing to these guys and getting the passes to them unlike DA, all this crap about our recievers sucking will be forgotten. they were good in 07 because the ball got to them. aside from BE dousing his gloves in oil before every game, they sucked because DA blew hard nuts. we've seen stallworth play well in NE, BE play well for us in 07. they have the ability to be good recievers.

what we need is to get a your tough linebacker to build a defense around, and someone who will stay with the team for a long ass time. we can't be piecing together a LB core for a 3-4 with old washed up FAs.

not like it matters anyway, detroit always drafts a reviever anway. they'll probably grab crabtree cause their stupid

Until we see what is done in FA we really can't say, but given the current situation, I would be much more likely to trade that pick for additional picks if Crabtree were there at #5. Now, if we somehow would get some additional early picks through trades & address some key needs through free agency, that would change, although I believe our hands are somewhat tied (with FA) due to salary cap issues. We'll know more soon.

Mike

Guest Dacaddyman
You don't HAVE to have a #1 defense, but like the saying goes...DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

I believe you can have a top 10 rated defense all year and still win the superbowl as long as you play lightsout defense in the playoffs. Colt defense wasn't great until the playoffs and won the SB. What I sed before is we were up with the elite offenses (2007)and if our defense would have played in the top 10 all year we would have been in the playoffs and contending. We still went 10-6 with a horrible defense, imagine if they were rated in the top 10.

Archived