THE BROWNS BOARD

Texans/Browns Trivia

The Gipper

Here is this week's trivia, mainly about our upcoming opponent the Houston Texans:

1. What is the head to head record between the Texans and the Browns?

2. The Texans are the youngest franchise in the NFL. What is their head to head record vs. the oldest franchise of the NFL, the Chicago Bears? (Bears and Cards tied for oldest...don't worry about the Cards.)

3. Which team have the Texans met the most times in postseason play, and what is their record against that team?

4. Which Browns player once led the Houston Texans in rushing?

5. What former Texans First Round Draft Pick comes from Northeast Ohio?

6. The Texans have made the playoffs the fewest times in NFL History (due to the young age of the franchise). The Browns are on the opposite end of the spectrum. What are the ONLY teams to have made more postseason appearances than the Browns?

7. What action associated with Cleveland led directly to the creation of the Houston Texans?

8. Which 2 cities lost the bid to Houston when the NFL expanded and the Texans were formed?

9. How many other times has the nickname "Texans" been used by another professional football franchise in ANY League?

10. What 4 other names besides "Texans" were finalist for the new name of the Houston expansion team when the Texans were formed?

11. What team that you would think otherwise, is NOT considered to be a rival of the Houston Texans?

12. The Texans are undefeated at 7-0 against another NFL franchise that has often been considered a model of a winning NFL franchise. Which team?

Bonus: Who was the Texans very first Offensive Coordinator?

Came in in '02... play very 3rd year... Played prolly 3 times... say 1-2...

2. The Texans are the youngest franchise in the NFL. What is their head to head record vs. the oldest franchise of the NFL, the Chicago Bears? (Bears and Cards tied for oldest...don't worry about the Cards.)

Once every 4 years... so twice? Say 2-0...

3. Which team have the Texans met the most times in postseason play, and what is their record against that team?

Gotta be Indy... guess 1-2...

Ben Tate... last year I think after Foster was hurt.

JJ Watt?

6. The Texans have made the playoffs the fewest times in NFL History (due to the young age of the franchise). The Browns are on the opposite end of the spectrum. What are the ONLY teams to have made more postseason appearances than the Browns?

Bears and Cowboys?

7. What action associated with Cleveland led directly to the creation of the Houston Texans?

Replacement of Browns franchise lead to replacement of Oilers...

8. Which 2 cities lost the bid to Houston when the NFL expanded and the Texans were formed?

LA and ???

9. How many other times has the nickname "Texans" been used by another professional football franchise in ANY League?

At least twice... Dallas Texans by NFL and AFL...

10. What 4 other names besides "Texans" were finalist for the new name of the Houston expansion team when the Texans were formed?

I remember two: the space themed "Apollos" and "Toros" which inspired the Bull logo...

11. What team that you would think otherwise, is NOT considered to be a rival of the Houston Texans?

Odd question... Colts are biggest rival given the frustration in winning the AFCS. Can't think of one who should be, but is not...

12. The Texans are undefeated at 7-0 against another NFL franchise that has often been considered a model of a winning NFL franchise. Which team?

7 games in 12/13 years??? Must include pre-season...

Capers was first coach and I think he tabbed Palmer, fresh from his CLE dismissal to mentor David Carr...

Well... I did live in the burbs of Houston for 28 years...

Came in in '02... play very 3rd year... Played prolly 3 times... say 1-2... NO

Once every 4 years... so twice? Say 2-0... not quite no

Gotta be Indy... guess 1-2... NO

Ben Tate... last year I think after Foster was hurt.

Check

JJ Watt? NO Watt, I think is from Wisconsin

Bears and Cowboys? Cowboys are one, not Bears

Replacement of Browns franchise lead to replacement of Oilers... hmm, that is not exactly it, but sorta. I will maybe give it to you....but not completely happy with that answer.

LA and ??? LA is one

At least twice... Dallas Texans by NFL and AFL...

"at least twice" would be an incorrect answer. It is not twice...but you did give partial accurate info.

I remember two: the space themed "Apollos" and "Toros" which inspired the Bull logo...

Those two are correct....there are others.

Odd question... Colts are biggest rival given the frustration in winning the AFCS. Can't think of one who should be, but is not...

Colts are a rival. Not the right answer.

7 games in 12/13 years??? Must include pre-season...

Capers was first coach and I think he tabbed Palmer, fresh from his CLE dismissal to mentor David Carr...

Palmer is correct.

Well... I did live in the burbs of Houston for 28 years...

Here is this week's trivia, mainly about our upcoming opponent the Houston Texans:

4-3 Texans lead

3-0 vs the Bears

Cincy, and they're 2-0 against them

Cowboys, Packers, Steelers, Patriots, Broncos

Petition drive to the NFL by the fans to restore a franchise?

LA, Oklahoma City

Kansas City(AFL) and Houston (WFL)

Dallas

Miami

4-3 Texans lead Check

3-0 vs the Bears Check

Cincy, and they're 2-0 against them Check

Cowboys, Packers, Steelers, Patriots, Broncos

Only Cowboys and Packers are correct. The others are not. There is only one more.

Petition drive to the NFL by the fans to restore a franchise? NO

LA, Oklahoma City Yes LA, no OKC

Kansas City(AFL) and Houston (WFL) These are both right.....but they are not all.

Dallas Check

Miami Check

Second Chance Saloon. Here are the unanswered questions:

5. Which Texans first round draft pick is from Northeast Ohio. Hint: taken within last 5 years, still on roster.

6. Besides the Cowboys and the Packers, what is the only other team that has made more postseason appearances than the Browns?

7. What action associated with Cleveland led to the formation of the Houston Texans. While I gave credit to Tour for his answer, I would still like to see this fleshed out a bit.

8. Which city, besides Los Angeles, was a finalist for expansion when Houston was awarded the Texans?

9. Besides the Dallas Texans of the NFL, the Dallas Texans of the AFL, and the Houston Texans of the WFL, what other team was known as "The Texans"?

10. Besides Apollos and Toros, what two other names were finalists for the Houston expansion franchise before "Texans" was chosen?

Dallas Check

lol... You cannot be serious? Gip, they sell out their annual preseason game...

Dallas Check

lol... You cannot be serious? Gip, they sell out their annual preseason game...

What I read from various sources says that the Cowboys and Texans do not consider themselves rivals, as they only play once every 4 years.

Now that, perhaps is a flaw in the NFL Conference/Divisional setup. Many natural rivalries are not consummated but once in a while.

Like Jets/Giants, Raiders/49ers, Ravens/Redskins. Cowboys/Texans, KC/St. Louis, Tampa/Miami,

Houston/Dallas could be a great rivalry, but it isn't.

Yes... and I believe any Houstonian would say the same.

And when I say "sell out", I mean fill the stadium with people and not just "sold", empty seats...

Yes... and I believe any Houstonian would say the same.

And when I say "sell out", I mean fill the stadium with people and not just "sold", empty seats...

Well, maybe Houstonians are "passionate" about it....but maybe Cowboy fans could give a shit about the Texans, and don't consider them but a pimple on their ass.

It's a big rivalry. Bragging rights. Texan fans are pretty nasty to us Cowboy fans. My 7 year old is a Texans fan. You better believe I rubbed it in his face when the Cowboys won. It should be an annual matchup.

How's about trying to answer some of the remaining questions.

(but sorry, I don't see teams that can play no more than once every 4 years as having a rivalry.....not a real one. Maybe a PR one)

If that is the case then the Browns and Lions have a rivalry. They play a preseason game every year. Detroit is actually closer to Cleveland than either Cincy or Pitt. ..as the crow flies. And once upon a time they really had an on field rivalry. Four times in the 1950s they met for the National Football League title. Could you imagine if two teams met 4 times today in the Super Bowl in the span of a decade? No, that rivalry was lost when the Browns took to the AFC in 1970....(so that Modell could collect a check btw).

Put the Boys and the DATs in the same division...then you would have something.

So by your logic... if the Browns and the Bengals were in separate divisions, then they would not be rivals.

Maybe not. Its like the Chiefs and Rams. Not really rivals. As I said....my source said they were not considered rivals. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. Though I believe the Cowboys and Texans should be bigger rivals than they are.

5. Which Texans first round draft pick is from Northeast Ohio. Hint: taken within last 5 years, still on roster.

6. Besides the Cowboys and the Packers, what is the only other team that has made more postseason appearances than the Browns?

7. What action associated with Cleveland led to the formation of the Houston Texans. While I gave credit to Tour for his answer, I would still like to see this fleshed out a bit.

8. Which city, besides Los Angeles, was a finalist for expansion when Houston was awarded the Texans?

Toronto?

9. Besides the Dallas Texans of the NFL, the Dallas Texans of the AFL, and the Houston Texans of the WFL, what other team was known as "The Texans"?

Kansas City

10. Besides Apollos and Toros, what two other names were finalists for the Houston expansion franchise before "Texans" was chosen?

Toronto? Check

Kansas City No, the Dallas Texans became the KC Chiefs, they never used that name there.

I never did give the answers for this:

It is now, Texans 5 Browns 3

They are 3-0 against the Bears

They have met and defeated the Bengals twice

Ben Tate. (apparently he did better for them than average a negative 4.5 per carry

Whitney Mercilus. Graduate of Akron Garfield HS out of Illinois.

The Cowboys have made 30 appearances, the Packers 29, and the Giants 31. Browns have made 28

Basically, it was the attempted Modell "move". The creation of the Baltimore Ravens meant that there were 31 franchises in the NFL. 30 active, 1 inactive for 3 years. When the Browns were reactivated that created an odd number of franchises playing, so they needed a 32d to even things up. So the 32d franchises was authorized, and eventually awarded to Houston.

Los Angeles and Toronto. Point of fact is, the 32d franchise WAS awarded to LA, but later withdrawn and given to Houston. LA didn't clarify its stadium issue (still hasn't) and that is why #32 was pulled from them. Toronto was considered but rejected in part because Buffalo is so close to them...and could be marketed as Toronto's team (and thus the institution of the Toronto series). Houston was just too large of a market to ignore. It is like in the Top 5, and the NFL no longer want both the #2 and #5 US markets to not have NFL teams.

At least 4: 1952 Dallas Texans NFL. 1960-61 Dallas Texans AFL. Houston Texans WFL in the 1970s. And the CFL San Antonio Texans in the 80s (yes, the Canadian Football League had a team in Texas for a while).

That is why we call them the DumbAss Texans. Because Texans are too stupid to come up with an original, creative name for their football teams.

Bobcats, Apollos, Toros, Stallions.

The Dallas Cowboys......and we have had that conversation.

The Miami Dolphins

Chris Palmer, former Browns HC.

Archived