THE BROWNS BOARD

Fred Taylor Released

We need Tom Tupa

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/foot...s.ap/index.html

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- The Jacksonville Jaguars have released running back Fred Taylor, the latest move in the team's makeover.

Taylor was scheduled to make about $6 million next season, so getting rid of the 11-year veteran was no surprise since he had clearly become the second option behind Maurice Jones-Drew.

The Jaguars might try to re-sign the 33-year-old back. But Taylor has made it clear he still believes he can be a starter in the NFL.

Taylor is 16th on the NFL's all-time rushing list with 11,271 yards, 81 behind John Riggins. He had 556 yards on the ground last season, splitting time with Jones-Drew, and averaged a career-low 3.9 yards a carry behind an injury-riddled offensive line.

The Jaguars released veterans Jerry Porter and Drayton Florence last week.

Doesnt look like Jax will be re-signing him:

Michael C. Wright of the Florida Times-Union reports that former Jaguars running back Fred Taylor offered to take a pay cut in order to remain with the team, but that the team said no.

“We offered to take a pay cut, but their decision was made,” Taylor told Wright. “They wanted to go young was their reply.”

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/16/...take-a-pay-cut/

Doesnt look like Jax will be re-signing him:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/16/...take-a-pay-cut/

Fred has way too many miles and we've already got Lewis who is in the same boat. Drayton Florence however would be a great fit for a nickel corner in our defense, he's tall, strong and a pretty good man coverage guy.

On the running back front we really need to draft Greene, McCoy or Jennings in rounds 2 through 4 to fill our need at RB. The role I'd like to see Lewis in is a situational back thats used in sort yardage situations, even though I'm not sure that garners his price tag for this season.

Fred has way too many miles and we've already got Lewis who is in the same boat. Drayton Florence however would be a great fit for a nickel corner in our defense, he's tall, strong and a pretty good man coverage guy.

On the running back front we really need to draft Greene, McCoy or Jennings in rounds 2 through 4 to fill our need at RB. The role I'd like to see Lewis in is a situational back thats used in sort yardage situations, even though I'm not sure that garners his price tag for this season.

Most have McCoy going round 1.

Freddy may be fragile, but the guy can still run. We have a running back who CAN'T run. Pretty big difference. I'm not saying Fred is a workhorse #1 back, but he could be explosive in a platoon role. What kind of money is he looking for?

The browns seriously need to remove Jamal Lewis from the team. I don't care how much heart he has... he's just not up to today's standards of a running back.

Fred put up some big numbers at the end of 07 season, and I'm betting after a light load last season, he's in for a few more.

I dunno, this guy was called Fragile Freddy for a long time for a reason.

I hear you, Inspecta.

However, look at his stats. To a certain extent his penchant for injuries was overstated.

To me, he would be a nice pickup for a team on the cusp. He could put a team over the top - maybe a team that sees it's window of opportunity closing.

IMHO, a young team like the Browns need a young and up and coming RB to add explosivness to an offense that might put up a lot of points next season.

Fred Taylor = HOF.

For me, as a pure stopgap, he's much better than Jamal Lewis. Last year's Jamal was one of the worst RB performances I've seen in awhile, and Taylor still had enough left to steal carries from stud RB MJD.

Guest Aloysius
For me, as a pure stopgap, he's much better than Jamal Lewis. Last year's Jamal was one of the worst RB performances I've seen in awhile, and Taylor still had enough left to steal carries from stud RB MJD.

From a pure talent perspective, you may be right about Taylor being an upgrade. But we're already on the hook for JLew's $2.4M base salary (which is guaranteed), and I don't think Taylor would bring the same veteran leadership to the locker room that Jamal does.

If Jamal agrees to reduce his roster bonus, I think he'd be a better option than Taylor.

Tell Jamal restructure or you are gone, make his contract where he can make up the difference in the old deal and new deal through incentives, performance based incentives.

Don't get me wrong, I love Fred. I don't think anyone could have carried the load he did for as long as he did and held up better in the modern NFL.

I just don't want to see him here.

We've already got too much dead weight sucking cap and he's not going to be a big enough upgrade over Lewis to Eat the bonus and sign him.

We need to draft young and move on.

After all, RB is a renewable resource, you want a new one every 3-4 drafts as the older ones break down.

The days of 1 back are dead, and wasting a high pick on a guy that you're going to be lucky to get 6 good years out of is just insane.

And...

IF Fred was willing to take a paycut to stick around and he was cut anyways you KNOW something has to be wrong.

Jamal's career has perennially overshadowed Taylor's and it hasn't been by accident or imagination.

Taylor is entering his 12th year and has 11,271 yards all time at an avg of 1,024 per. His 2001 season he only has 116 yards so to be fair he had an avg of 1,127 in 10 years.

JLew has 10,107 yards in 8 years, an avg of 1,263 yards per year and putting him on pace to have 13,897 after his 11th season (if he has one).

Jamal came in light last season, a calculated risk that blew up in his face.

Still, he's cheaper, younger, still fast, still durable, they both have heart and drive but.....can Fred move the pile in the AFCN vs the casey hamptons and the Haloti Ngatas? Jamal burnt that Cincy secondary 20 lbs heavier in '07.

If Jamal's age is a problem someone 4 years his elder obviously can't be a solution. I see pitter-patter-tippy-toe playing awesome on real grass, especially in the snow and muck. He's faster than he looks and he can catch when the ball's not behind him. As a thunder compliment to lightning he still gets it done.

Frankly Jamal's a bargain by Fred Taylor standards.

I don't think Jamal is done yet. Let's see what happens with a healthy O-line & better schemes. We have bigger priorities & bringing Taylor in is not one of them. I'd be looking for a bargain backup QB before I would be looking to oust Jamal just yet.

Mike

You guys kill me. Why would you want another on the back end of their career other team cast off? Isn't Willie McGinest enough?

AMEN.............................................Why do you think he was released? He had the worst year of his career and was hurt most of it. I'm all for FA, but they need to be servicable veterans with something left in the tank.

Enough with the over-the-hill retreads.

AMEN.............................................Why do you think he was released? He had the worst year of his career and was hurt most of it. I'm all for FA, but they need to be servicable veterans with something left in the tank.

Enough with the over-the-hill retreads.

We'll keep Jamal and he'll bounce back this year. We have much better minds in charge now. I equate last year to a D2 college staff trying to run a NFL franchise. I'm thinking we'll see a lot of improvements this year.

Most have McCoy going round 1.

Nope! Most have McCoy going early round 2. With Wells going Mid round 1 and Moreno going late round 1. Unless McCoy puts up some crazy numbers at the combine he'll stay right at the top of round 2 where the Browns will be to select either him or Greene.

Archived