THE BROWNS BOARD

Stein on the Trade Market

CIMO.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/stor...radeTalk-090216

As we await clear signs as to whether Stoudemire indeed remains in play -- which should be forthcoming Monday -- we can confirm that many teams still see Chicago as the most likely trading partner for the Suns.

One source close to the situation maintains that the Suns have a standing offer from the Bulls for Stoudemire that would definitely deliver blossoming forward Tyrus Thomas and Drew Gooden's $7.2 million expiring contract. The Suns like those two pieces. A lot.

The Kings could move to the top of the list if they were willing to part with rookie forward Jason Thompson, their two biggest expiring contracts (Bobby Jackson and Shelden Williams) and what will almost certainly be a top-five pick in June.

But the Kings aren't willing. Not to part with all that. Not yet, anyway.

Although it has talked with the Suns, Sacramento appears more focused on trying to move center Brad Miller before contemplating anything else, while also continuing to field proposals for in-demand swingman John Salmons.

"We looked at it," Kings co-owner Joe Maloof told ESPN.com when asked about Stoudemire. "Never say never, but right now, no."

Our freshest non-Amare scenario: Sources say Oklahoma City is going after New Orleans center Tyson Chandler, with the Hornets known to be seriously interested in slicing payroll and with the Thunder capable of offering the Hornets two replacement big men with expiring contracts (Joe Smith and Chris Wilcox) as well as one of its five first-round picks in the next two drafts.

The Blazers are involved in numerous discussions with several teams, so it's difficult to pinpoint the deal they're chasing hardest, but the latest in circulation could furnish Portland with a new small forward and a new point guard: Milwaukee's Richard Jefferson and University of Oregon-ex Luke Ridnour in exchange for Travis Outlaw, Sergio Rodriguez and Raef LaFrentz's expiring contract.

Given the future cap space that the Blazers lost in the Darius Miles unretirement saga, sending LaFrentz's contract somewhere between now and Thursday's deadline is considered a virtual lock, since Portland no longer has the forthcoming flexibility to make the free-agent splashes it anticipated.

The situation is fluid, obviously, but the signals are only getting louder that the Cavaliers are far more likely to stick with the team they have than make a major move with Wally Szczerbiak's expiring contract.

"We have had our fair share of discussions but thus far there is nothing really active right now," Ferry told ESPN.com on Sunday. "We are not turning off the phones, but I would be surprised if we did anything at this point."

Tantalizing as it is to imagine what Stoudemire's arrival in Cleveland could do to the championship chase, one source close to the situation was highly pessimistic that a third team could be found to facilitate a deal that would land Amare with the Cavs and Szczerbiak's contract in Phoenix.

And the player Cleveland is believed to want most? He remains unavailable, because the Clippers continue to tell inquiring teams that Marcus Camby (along with rookie guard Eric Gordon) is an untouchable.

Vince Carter is the name that was repeatedly linked with Szczerbiak's contract throughout the first few months of the season, but you certainly don't hear that link anymore.

Carter to San Antonio, meanwhile, is another long shot, but something you might have to monitor this week.

The Spurs indeed have some interest in Vinsanity and have weighed the feasibility of lodging a bid. But, given that they're not breaking up their big three, they'd almost certainly have to trade Roger Mason, Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto and at least one other regular (such as Kurt Thomas or Michael Finley) to make it happen. They'd also have to believe that Carter is an over-the-top piece to take the highly un-Spurs-like step of shaking up their roster so forcefully ... and doing so in-season.

Well, I'm pretty pissed. I guess at least we only have to put with getting our hopes up for four more days before they're ultimately crushed. Let's just hope we can get back to playing how we did earlier in the season.

Guest ATENEARS

I guess I just don't see the big picture (or the bottom line), but I'd throw in Wally's expiring contract, Hickson, Snow's injury settlement, plus the next two first round draft picks for Stoudemire.

An NBA Championship in this town would net the Cavaliers a waterfall of revenue of apparel, season tickets, and support.

I guess I'm missing something ... why is it exactly that other cities go out and buy themselves championships, why we sit here and pretend like we know how to build a dynasty the right way?

I think it's just the time we live in. When the GM's (and fans) fall in love with every player on the roster, then won't budge from trade offers like Tarrence Kinsey and a conditional 2nd round pick for Amare Stoudemire. I've had hour-long arguments with a friend who still thinks the Celtics shouldn't have traded Jeff Green for Ray Allen because it ruined their future. If you can get a great player and put yourself in position to win a title, you have to do it. The only player/pick I wouldn't give up for Amare is LeBron. Yes, I'd give up Mo, and the Suns still would have been fleeced.

I've already come to terms that Amare is a pipe dream, but if we could actually get a guy like Camby or Chandler for Wally and a virtually worthless draft pick (end of the first round, and teams like Portland have shown teams can just trade cash for 1st rounders on draft day).....but Ferry doesn't want to mess with chemistry?

I don't know. If it were bringing in a Pacman Jones or T.O. or even a Ricky Davis or someone who has a real tendency to destroy locker rooms, then the chemistry thing works. When you're just trading scrubs for all-stars whose only knocks on them are "he's a bit of a headache"? I'm with you Ate, just can't see the downside.

The biggest snag with this Amare deal is that he doesn't play defense. He's just interested in running, picking up scrap rebounds/putbacks. He may move to a new team, and be willing to play defense and do what is asked of him, or he may be a bigger problem than he's been for Phoenix this year. I also think now that they've canned their coach and will go back to the 120pt no D style of play, they won't want to unload Amare for anything but the perfect package. And that's not what the Cavs have to offer.

Bottom line, in my opinion, any team who is a legit title contender right now (LA, Bos, Cle, SA, etc.) doesn't want Amare because despite his ability and athleticism, he could hurt more than he could help.

I personally, would rather he just stay in Phoenix for these reasons. I don't think it's worth the risk. It would be a different story if we were in the Pistons position, ~12 back and looking like a middle of the pack team in the conference.

Hickson will be a nice piece for the future, no doubt. Just because Wally's contract is valuable, doesn't mean the Cavs have to move him to get something for it. I think he's a valuable asset to this team right now, because when playoff time comes, teams will double/triple down on LeBron, drive & kick...and Wally/Delonte/Mo/Gibson...all knock down shooters.

Guest ATENEARS
I think he (Wally) is a valuable asset to this team right now, because when playoff time comes, teams will double/triple down on LeBron, drive & kick...and Wally/Delonte/Mo/Gibson...all knock down shooters.

Relying on hitting jumpers through a seven game series is what I'm hoping to avoid.

I'd rather see LeBron drive and kick it to a big man who can flush it with authority. Shaq can do both, stuff the middle and allow no easy baskets, and take a dish and slam it home, breaking off any limbs who reach in and try to stop him.

With Stoudemire, opposing teams will have to put one of their top defenders on him or he will eat someone alive in the paint. Mo Williams will give the guard all he can handle and LeBron has to benefit from a three-headed monster. If they want to double up on any one of those guys or double up on the ball, we still will have enough shooters for LeBron to dish too.

Stoudemire is averaging 21-points in 37-mins

Andy, Ben & Z average 25-points in 79-mins

With the amount of Offensive & Defensive Rebounds Amar'e will grab, plus the addition of his point total, can you honestly say that he is going to give up more points than he will create?

Stoudemire (.834%) has a better Free throw percentage than even Z (.806%), Amar'e is also shooting at .530% from the field, which is pretty damn good, even with Shaq clogging up the inside.

Just imagine guarding against LeBron, Mo & Amar'e, with West and Z. Sasha & Big Ben can always come in to defend.

Just in case anyone still has their hopes up, Stein added this

There are suddenly strong signals emanating from the desert that the coaching change announced Monday by the Phoenix Suns will be the only big personnel change they make this week.

After the Suns spent several days taking and making phone calls on potential trades for Amare Stoudemire and Shaquille O'Neal, NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that Phoenix -- having received a series of underwhelming proposals for Stoudemire -- prefers now to leave its core intact for the rest of the season to see if new coach Alvin Gentry can do more with this group than the outgoing Terry Porter.

"I got the impression today that [the Suns] are standing pat," said one source with knowledge of the team's thinking.

Said another source close to the situation: "That is very accurate."

And for the Shepwrites in the audience, here's a quote from The Oklahoman regarding Joe Smith.

He has the most value because of his expiring $4.7 million contract and also because of what he can add to a playoff team. The Thunder has already reportedly offered Smith to Sacramento for guard/forward John Salmons. A future first-round pick could also be enticing enough to part ways with Smith.

There's not a chance Ferry will be giving up a first rounder, or any player as talented as Salmons. Looks like it'll be a pretty depressing deadline.

Guest ATENEARS
Just in case anyone still has their hopes up, Stein added this

It's Tuesday and I'm holding out on the 'smoke-screen' hope.

There is just something missing with these Cavaliers ... This Chemistry thing is gay, bring in some muscle.

It's Tuesday and I'm holding out on the 'smoke-screen' hope.

There is just something missing with these Cavaliers ... This Chemistry thing is gay, bring in some muscle.

I'm hoping the same thing. We need something to give this team some attitude in the paint. I don't like my center shooting 20 foot J's all the time.

Amare would be very good and the man I would want, but Shaq is the guy that would get us the ring...it didn't work for the Suns last year cause D'antoni was still there.

The Diesel isn't the guy whos gonna be runnin up and down the court trailing Nash and it really showed. And the biggest reason it didnt put them over the top is because, lets face it. They didnt have a chance to begin with.

Get Shaq, get Amare, or get Camby. Makin no moves aint makin no sense!

To quote a more famous man, and poster....THERE IS NO TOMORROW

Archived