THE BROWNS BOARD

Hiker gets pictures of bear in woods, gets killed..

calfoxwc

Had he a ccw, he could have fired it into a tree, and the bear would have run.

Bears have done this before. And they were a group, until they split, and ran.

Bad, bad move.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/11/26/hiker-takes-tragically-chilling-cellphone-photos-of-300-pound-black-bear-stalking-him/

I talked to a guy, who used to be a big time hunting guide in Canada, a few years ago.

Struck up a conservation with him at the outdoors show over a lodge near where we

camped back in 1970, in the wilderness.

One day, he had a group out hunting, and from up on a hill, as a spotter, he saw a big

bear stalking his hunters down in the flat, closer and closer, he was running

to get a better angle for a safe shot away from the hunters, yelling for them to back away slowly

to the west, do not run, etc....had walkie talkies...

and they didn't know which way was west...but one of the hunters fired, and the bear left.

The hunters had no idea they were being stalked. He quit being a hunting guide that evening,

and became a fishing guide instead.

I talked to a guy, who used to be a big time hunting guide in Canada, a few years ago.

Struck up a conservation with him at the outdoors show over a lodge near where we

camped back in 1970, in the wilderness.

One day, he had a group out hunting, and from up on a hill, as a spotter, he saw a big

bear stalking his hunters down in the flat, closer and closer, he was running

to get a better angle for a safe shot away from the hunters, yelling for them to back away slowly

to the west, do not run, etc....had walkie talkies...

and they didn't know which way was west...but one of the hunters fired, and the bear left.

The hunters had no idea they were being stalked. He quit being a hunting guide that evening,

and became a fishing guide instead.

If you are out huntung with a group and there is a guide, shouldn't they ALL have compasses?

When I used to hunt, be it alone, or with my Dad, I always had a compass and so did my Dad. I wouldn't hunt without one.

I carry a Glock 20 with me when I am hiking. 220gr of hardcast bullet will do a number on WV sized bears. Anything bigger and I would get into the large bore revolvers or a long gun.

I've never shot a 10mm. Everyone who has raves about it. Excellent "bear gun" from what I've read/ heard.

I enjoy hiking and as I live in northeastern ohio the chances of running into a bear are slim. Cysko

All I have is my 9mm hollow points. I would hope the big noise would scare the bear away.

But, there have been bear sightings in every country in Ohio, you know. When we first bought our

farm, we went hiking all around the perimeter, takes about an hour... and in late spring, we found bear

tracks in a patch of snow. Bear tracks - the claws don't retract like a mtn lion. Which, although rare, it

happened to me back in the early sixties in S. Ohio... mountain lion. I've seen a young bear myself, just

up the road - it crossed the street in front of me at night. The game warden said there are more and more.

Nobody hunts them in our area, or maybe anywhere in Ohio, like they do in PA.

Archived