THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike Wright, DE

WPB Dawg Fan

UFA Mike Wright, DE, New England, 6'4" 295, 26yrs old.

He was not the starter in NE (played behind Ty Warren), but he still managed to pick up 28 tackles (22 solo), 2.5 sacks, and forced 2 fumbles.

He is the prototypical DE size for the 3-4, has experience in it (including in the style we play) and was around when Mangini last worked in NE.

He may only be a backup...but he is worth a look IMHO.

bring him in. we need depth along both lines, and anyone who we don't have to convert is welcome in my book. he's coming into his prime, will likely be fairly inexpensive because he's not a big name and hasn't started, and he's got to be better than the scrubs we have on the team now, if only by default. a solid rotational player? i'll take it. better than shaun smith, i bet.

man, i can't wait for free agency to start.

Guest Aloysius

I think John's right about him being a backup type. Wright's not very strong at the point of attack, which can result in him getting pushed around by more physical o-linemen. For instance, he struggled when he started against the Steelers last year.

Also, Wright doesn't consistently play up to his pro day speed (4.81 40). He flashes some nice quickness every now and then, but he's not as athletic as C.J. Mosley.

Mosley may be the better FA target.

Archived