THE BROWNS BOARD

Trading up to #5 unlikely

Oldcrow1945

I was thinking of this and I really wonder if any team would be willing to trade up to that #5 spot when you consider the talent that is there, the contract that player would recieve along with the harder economic times.

The more I think about it, the more I think we will be drafting in that spot and not moving down unless it's just one or two spots.

Does anyone remember when and if this has happened? A team making a move to get up in the top five spots from the mid or later first round?

I was thinking of this and I really wonder if any team would be willing to trade up to that #5 spot when you consider the talent that is there, the contract that player would recieve along with the harder economic times.

The more I think about it, the more I think we will be drafting in that spot and not moving down unless it's just one or two spots.

Does anyone remember when and if this has happened? A team making a move to get up in the top five spots from the mid or later first round?

the saint giving up there entire draft to select ricky williams at 5

dont see that ever hapening again though

Why would you say unlikely? Trades are made all the time.

If Philly doesn't get Housyourmama in free agency I could see them make a big push to get Crabtree if he is there. I also could see Minn trying to move up to get Crabtree. I can see teams wanting to trade ahead of SF if Sanchez is there. Depending on how the first 4 picks go, this is a year with 3 top tackles that teams very well could be interested in trading up for.

The problem sometimes is that teams that want to trade up are too far down in the round. The Browns can get an impact player at #5. they also could get one at #10 or #12 or even #16, but would an impact player still be there at #24. I'm just throwing numbers out and not matching up teams but my point is a team picking #5 could like the idea of trading down as long as it isn't too far to still get an impact player and pick up a draft pick that is high enough to work in as a starter.

I also think it is unlikely unless a team believes there is an elite player that will be taken within the next 2-3 picks. It was done with Ricky Williams but I think it would be an elite left tackle or QB which would drive that trade. We should get a dominant player at #5 though

i think that there are a ton of teams that would trade the browns for their pick. especially if crabtree is there. the teams for him would be: the bears, dolphins, eagles, jets, raiders, 49ers, chargers, vikings, bangals, jaguars, titans, the buccaneers and maybe the packers.

crabtree is the key

There will be plenty of "keys". Different GM's around the league are going to become obsessed with certain players and they will make un-wise (favorable for us) decisions that will allow us to trade down.

There will be plenty of "keys". Different GM's around the league are going to become obsessed with certain players and they will make un-wise (favorable for us) decisions that will allow us to trade down.

Yes but what if Mangini also becomes obsessed with a player and uses the fifth spot?

Yes but what if Mangini also becomes obsessed with a player and uses the fifth spot?

Class is too LB heavy to worry about that. If curry is gone, we'll trade down.

I think you guys are a little too focused on LB and needs.

If Kokins and Mangini go in to drafts thinking "this" position or nothing, we will suck and be looking for a new coach and GM a few years down the road.

Bank it.

I think you guys are a little too focused on LB and needs.

If Kokins and Mangini go in to drafts thinking "this" position or nothing, we will suck and be looking for a new coach and GM a few years down the road.

Bank it.

Improving in your worst area's is the only way to get better. If we don't go LB and do some stupid stuff like.. RG,WR,QB, ect we'll be much worse off.

I think the mentality he needs is LB or nothing. If Curry is gone, trade down and get an ADDITIONAL good LB prospect instead of picking the BPA which won't suit the immediate needs.

I disagree......about the exceptions.

You can make exceptions when you have a good team and are what you think is 1 player away.

As it stands, we will be able to get the best player at his position. Right now the 2nd best backer isn't so good he passes the #1's at other spots.

You can look up and down the roster as see several areas of needs. So darn near anybody we select will be a need pick.

Now....come round 2...as has been noted, this is a deep LB draft....Matthews might be there when we draft in round 2.

I just don't think you can force a draft.....you have to allow it to happen and make the best selections in the here and now....stay in the moment.

Grabbing someone at backer may help us more next year, but you can't go in to drafts thinking next year. You have to be thinking 4-5 years down the road,

JMO

So.....what if Crabtree isn't there, and Curry is gone....and just say we can't trade without giving the pick away.

Who do you draft...because what I just proposed is probably how it is going to work out.

It's easy to say trade down.....the only catch is you have to have someone who wants to trade up.

I don't think so....there are 3-4 guys who would be solid picks.

Just because they don't fit into your cookie cutter, or my cookie cutter of what we would like the most doesn't make it a bad selection.

I just started thinking about the history of this kind of move. Someone mentioned K2 but that was only to move up one spot. Of course there was the Ricky William/Dikta fiasco.

I was thinking of a move like the Jets and the Browns....A circumstance where a team moves up to a top 5 spot from a mid to late first round slot. It just seems to never happen.

Well that's our nightmare scenario right there. Who would you take at that point? The crazy samoan from USC? Another LB pick. Wells?

If that does in fact play out then we are really effed at that 5 pick.....

I think there is almost no chance that crabtree / curry / raji are gone by the 5th pick. And people will trade up for any of those 3.

I just started thinking about the history of this kind of move. Someone mentioned K2 but that was only to move up one spot. Of course there was the Ricky William/Dikta fiasco.

I was thinking of a move like the Jets and the Browns....A circumstance where a team moves up to a top 5 spot from a mid to late first round slot. It just seems to never happen.

No, it isn't that common...teams near the top don't mind trading, but usually not to the bottom of the draft...and the cost to the other team is great since their 1st rounder doesn't hold a comparative value.

I think there is almost no chance that crabtree / curry / raji are gone by the 5th pick. And people will trade up for any of those 3.

Do you really think so? Who do you think would want to trade up for those three guys?

If they did want to I don;t think the browns would get much in return. That team's 1st and 3rd maybe? In this deep draft I'm not sure a team would want to give up their thiird round pick to move up five or twn spots

Do you really think so? Who do you think would want to trade up for those three guys?

If they did want to I don;t think the browns would get much in return. That team's 1st and 3rd maybe? In this deep draft I'm not sure a team would want to give up their thiird round pick to move up five or twn spots

We won't know until it happens.

But there are 32 teams (most with needs) drafting. Any team has a chance to get the urge and trade up to make sure they get the guy they believe will put them over the top.

My feeling is, if Curry is gone, but crabtree or raji is there you pick either.

If none of the 3 are on the board, we have a good chance of trading down.

I hope you're right It will be one of Mangini's first true tests...

One thing you have to remember, it takes two to make a trade. Just because Mangini/Kokinis would want to trade down, they would need a partner. You can't say the guy failed because he couldn't trade down. Savage was the one that left him with 4 picks and screwed us with Anderson's contract and a tight cap figure.

We won't know until it happens.

But there are 32 teams (most with needs) drafting. Any team has a chance to get the urge and trade up to make sure they get the guy they believe will put them over the top.

My feeling is, if Curry is gone, but crabtree or raji is there you pick either.

If none of the 3 are on the board, we have a good chance of trading down.

Ok....I just thought you may have specific teams due to needs that you thought would be interested.

Improving in your worst area's is the only way to get better. If we don't go LB and do some stupid stuff like.. RG,WR,QB, ect we'll be much worse off.

I think the mentality he needs is LB or nothing. If Curry is gone, trade down and get an ADDITIONAL good LB prospect instead of picking the BPA which won't suit the immediate needs.

Winning teams draft the best player available. Teams that consistently reach for needs often pay the price. Example, Willie Green was a reach because we needed a RB and passed on LT the year before. Wimbley was a reach because everyone said we needed a pass rusher.

When teams know you are desparate for a need, you reduce your chances of making a good trade down.

the only reason to draft raji is to use him as trade bate. if we do that and nobody wants to give up too much then we will be stuck with him.

How do you think our Defense ranks with Rogers off the field? Imagine having a fresh Raji / Rogers every down...

How do you think our Defense ranks with Rogers off the field? Imagine having a fresh Raji / Rogers every down...

Or both of them in the UFO on a timed bullrush :)

Archived