THE BROWNS BOARD

He gave himself up? Defense disputes call.

mohican

Yea that was a horseshit call. He didn't slide he dove, secured the ball and rolled over and wasn't touched down by a defensive player. The bullshit explanation "he didn't make an immediate move" Hell I'm 6'3" 350 lbs. and I can tell you from experience us big fuckers just rolling over is immediate enough !

GO BROWNS !

Desir played excellent starting him was the right call, Gilbert's fine. We have the deepest, youngest backfield in possibly forever. Enjoy it.

As far as the call, absolutely terrible. Blow the whistle when you say he's down, whether that's because he "gave up" or got touched.

The rule should be, when you get touched down you're down. Why have rules that are subject to such debate when it could just be so much simpler.

Desir looked unphased...

As for the ruling... broadcast interpretation seemed to ultimately hang it's hat on the down player (Winn) handing the ball to the standing player (Poyer). I can't find that rule.

As for giving up... Winn did go fetal for a beat (or two) before Poyer made his grab for the ball and that opened the door for the ruling. The end zone replay showed a few CAR players "stopping" at that point.

I think it was the correct call, but the whistle was late.

So we have:

- Haden played like the best corner in the game until last weeks injury

- Skrine who had a near pro bowl campaign and has consistently gotten better, barring some of the ticky penalty habits

- Gilbert who has been showing flashes, but for some reason (lesser practice quality?) isn't getting much time on the field. I believe he'll be good still.

- Williams UDFA who has come in and played like a stud

- Desir 4th rounder who got his first legit NFL time yesterday and played like a stud

In addition to:

- Gipson who was destined for Hawaii

- Whitner who has been solid, albeit I still think Ward's better. Possibly pro bowl level.

- Leonard the vet who replaced Gipson and didn't miss a beat.

It's been a long time we've been clamoring about how badly we need a secondary. Well don't look now but we have a young, talented backfield that could potentially be the best in the NFL very soon...

We have plenty of ammo to beef up the LOS on both sides of the ball. I don't know why people are so down on this team.

So we have:

- Skrine who had a near pro bowl campaign and has consistently gotten better, barring some of the ticky penalty habits

- Gilbert who has been showing flashes, but for some reason (lesser practice quality?) isn't getting much time on the field. I believe he'll be good still.

- Desir 4th rounder who got his first legit NFL time yesterday and played like a stud

In addition to:

- Whitner who has been solid, albeit I still think Ward's better. Possibly pro bowl level.

It's been a long time we've been clamoring about how badly we need a secondary. Well don't look now but we have a young, talented backfield that could potentially be the best in the NFL very soon...

We have plenty of ammo to beef up the LOS on both sides of the ball. I don't know why people are so down on this team.

Bingo.

I think Pettine & Farmer have already finished step #1 in this defense...a shut down "man to man" defensive backfield

Next...front 7....they'll get it done. And next year, with this Backfield gelling and all these young guys one year better....we WILL be shutting down passing games week after week....this year, they just adjusted and ran at us....next year, hopefully, they wont be able to

I have never seen a player give up for no reason when he was on the ground in the middle of a game

It usually happens when a player intercepts a pass and while running he falls to the ground and gives up to end the game. Or when the running back breaks through the line for a game ending first down and before he runs out of bounds he falls down to keep the clock moving.

as for Skrine, he is NOT a pro bowl player. He has gotten better each year, that is for sure, but he still commits way to many penalties. 14 penalties this year, 9 accepted, 3 declined, and 1 offsetting.

The phrase "an embarrassment of riches" comes to mind.

But I do not see us standing pat... in fact, I will be shocked if at least one of our DBs is not traded before Kick Off 2015... possibly as soon as the draft.

So we have:

In addition to:

Yep. Even with the injuries defense has usually turned in solid performances except against the run which is pretty hard on everything. Line of scrimmage is a definite need.

As for that ridiculous gave himself up rule... Maybe he was just protesting Ferguson? Don't shoot Ref!

WSS

Archived