THE BROWNS BOARD

New 3-4 Defenses

WPB Dawg Fan

There are at least 3 teams switching to the 3-4 defense this year...

Denver Broncos

Green Bay Packers

Kansas City Chiefs

and one still considering it...

Houston Texans

With all these teams comes a need for an ELITE NT. Which means BJ Raji is going to be in demand.

If Raji makes it past KC (which I don't think he does), the Browns are going to be in prime position. Everyone knows that Seattle is NOT going to take him and likely will want Crabtree so won't likely trade down...so the obvious point to trade up for him is the #5 slot.

Green Bay picks 9th

Denver picks 12th

Houston picks 15th

Keep in mind other 3-4 defenses may be in need of him as well.

Miami has Jason Ferguson, who is 34 (#25)

San Diego has Jamal Williams who is 32 (#16)

This may be a VERY COMPETITIVE slot.

Yup Raji is explosive to say the least i would have no qualms if we snagged him as our front 3 is troubling rubin lacks experience and unfortunately may be a project,robaire smith is mediocre at best and williams may not successfully make the conversion to a 3-4 DE..

The real question is could either raji or rogers convert to an 34 end because that would solidify our front 7 drastically..and both of them have the speed for their size to be shutdown DEs if they could convert..

Raji will be gone within the first 7 picks for sure who wouldnt want him as a centerpiece of a 3-4 defense or a 4-3 as far as that goes?

Dare I say it..... Trade Rogers for the best pick available and draft Raji?

Raji is said to be very, very able to play either defensive end, he's that quick and powerful. He can move,

and the Browns would have the guy to take over for Rodgers is he retires later, or gets...well... you know.

but, I'd still rather trade down and get those extra picks in this draft.

And I think Sammie Lee would be a dynamite pick for the Browns in the 4th round. Mostly, because of this demand,

he is one of the few NT's in the draft. At 333 lbs and quick, he is a very poor man's Raji. (yeah, but he's DIV II)

(FIXED. 233, what a dumb typo.. GGG)

Raji is said to be very, very able to play either defensive end, he's that quick and powerful. He can move,

and the Browns would have the guy to take over for Rodgers is he retires later, or gets...well... you know.

but, I'd still rather trade down and get those extra picks in this draft.

And I think Sammie Lee would be a dynamite pick for the Browns in the 4th round. Mostly, because of this demand,

he is one of the few NT's in the draft. At 233 lbs and quick, he is a very poor man's Raji. (yeah, but he's DIV II)

233 and quick? I think that makes you a LB :P

Guest Aloysius

Wow, KC's conversion to a 3-4 is going to be fun to watch. None of their front seven guys are great fits for the scheme.

Here's the question: does this make them less or more likely to take Curry?

have to say less. he's useless if there's no one in front of him to keep him clean and he gets blocked on every play. even ray lewis had down years when the ravens didn't have anyone in front of him. also, there's not a great NT prospect other than raji in the draft unless the chiefs are willing to bank on sammie lee hill developing while curry gets mauled for two years.

Guest Aloysius

I'm inclined to agree. However, I could also see them looking at Turk Tyler as a nose (he may not be athletic enough to play end). And despite having a mediocre Senior Bowl week, Ron Brace is said to be shooting up draft boards; they could take him in the 2nd Round.

Dare I say it..... Trade Rogers for the best pick available and draft Raji?

That is what I was about to say....lock up 5-6 years of youth, and with all this demand, Rogers should bring a 2nd rounder.

tank tyler looks like a great option for the chiefs at NT. he's young and unusually strong for his size (he only weighs 310-315). plus, with experience playing alongside dorsey, it's almost like he was playing by himself in the middle, anyway. he's definitely someone who could play the position, though he's not nearly as large as the guys we traditionally think of as NTs, which could mean he doesn't have the bulk to achieve the elite strength he'd need.

personally, i think it'd be a better idea for them to go after raji in the first then take frantz joseph later and pair him with a FA like eric barton who can let him roam as the WILB and use tyler as a backup.

the NT is easily the most important player in the 3-4. getting a guy who's essentially a sure thing, someone who will have success at the position, drive the entire defense and who has an entirely combination of skill and size, will ensure long-term success far more than gambling on someone whose chances of panning out are shaky. all the LBs in the world won't make a successful 3-4 if there's not a strong presence in the middle to let them make plays.

it's too important a position to risk it on a guy who might be able to play well as opposed to someone who will be able to play well.

or so i hope.

Guest Aloysius

Here's what the Chiefs have right now:

RE: Glenn Dorsey, Turk McBride

NT: Tank Tyler

LE: Alphonso Boone, Derek Lokey

ROLB: Andy Studebaker

RILB: Derrick Johnson, Donnie Edwards ($5M salary), Demorrio Williams (poor scheme fit)

LILB:

LOLB: Tamba Hali, Brian Johnston

They need a starting DE, at least one OLB, an ILB, and another NT.

Guest Masters

The trade up to take Wimbley, when BALT was gonna take Ngata no matter what was bad. But the pick, eh. After that first season, CLE looked briliant for taking Wimbley. Not much complaining then. Let's also not forget the biggest knock on Ngata coming out was that he took to many plays off, that showed up a lot on film. Would he have been broken of that in CLE on their D? There is no Rey Lewis in CLE to kick a guy in the ass if he does that.

If you reverse the fortunes, it is just as likely that Wimbley thrived in BALT, while Ngata played mediocre in CLE after one good season.

Guest Aloysius
I remember Tank last year??? Maybe the year before

He is a pretty good prospect

Two years ago.

Tank's strong but has very poor balance. I remember reading that he'd fall over whenever the old Chiefs coaching staff ran him through the tire drill.

And because of his poor balance, my sense is that adding weight would do more harm then good. IIRC, he showed up to the Senior Bowl weighing 318 lbs. and got pushed around all week by Ryan Kalil, who's not exactly known as a mauler.

Tank probably needs to be around 305 to be effective, which may be a problem if you're lining him up at NT.

Archived