THE BROWNS BOARD

Have the Browns Ever Had the Right Coach Since 99?

OldBrownsFan

With more time was there any coach since 99 who may have taken the Browns to the next level? I don't think so although there were some that were better than others. The jury is still out with Pettine but he looks the guy who might get it done.

Chris Palmer, 1999-2000, 5-27: NO

Butch Davis, 2001-2004, 24-35, ? I liked him, took Browns to playoffs in second year with 9-7 record, forced to resign following year after going 3-8. I think they should have given him another year.

Terry Robiskie, 2004, 1-5: Interim coach

Romeo Crennel, 2005-2008, 24-40 : A proven good defensive coordinator who seemed out of his element as head coach, took the Browns to 10-6 record in 2007, next year 4-12 and let go.

Eric Mangini, 2009-2010, 10-22: I don't think so. JMO.

Pat Shurmur, 2011-2012, 9-23: NO

Rob Chudzinski, 2013, 4-12: Possible but not given enough time

Mike Pettine, Current, 7-9: Promising, Browns competitive in his first year, faded down the the stretch but key injuries hurt the team who do not have alot of depth, hoping he gets a good three years

I know I might get slammed but I am not that down on Haslam. I liked what he said at the end of the season about the attitude of some of the players on the Browns team, I like he immediately showed support for Pettine, I think he is committed to bringing winning football to Cleveland. I believe he has brought in the right coach and GM.

The huge mistake was Manziel. Farmer may have just fallen on the sword claiming Haslam had nothing to do with bringing in Manziel? Who knows for sure. Anyway I don't think there will be any more homeless guys running the front office. Mistakes are made but the big thing to me is learning from your mistakes and not repeating them. They should have followed the recommendation of their own $100,000 study. That study did not guarantee a winning draft pick but it increased the odds you would pick the right guy.

I think we've had the "Coach" three times...

Davis was just a terrible GM.

Mangini was just in Holmgren's way.

Pet looks to be the best we've seen.

And Haslam's fine...

While I think he liked Manziel, I do not think he dragged Farmer kicking and screaming to the phone to make the trade and send in the JM card. I think Farmer believed, and still believes, JM was a good value at what we had to pay for the 22nd pick.

It's simply not what good CEO's do...

On the other hand studies often have issues overcoming preconceived notions... and not just at the top.

I always liked Mangini and his philosophy. I might take heat for saying it but I thought the team player hard for him. We didn't have the best talent but beat some talented teams. We were never so up and down as we were this year. Yes it was consistently below average but at least we knew the problems. I believe if holmgreb wasn't there and a couple decent drafts, we would have had a decent team

Smart, athletic, and tough. Guys who want to play and are competitive. Not Gordon bums or johnny nancies.

But the flip side he hasn't had another hc opportunity, maybe raiders, since so maybe he wasn't so good.

I know I might get slammed but I am not that down on Haslam.

I like Haslam too......keep hearing that he's like Jerry Jones, but have ZERO clue why people say that....other than the fact that they are rich, kind of look alike and have similar accents....

I think he's light years ahead of Lerner in smarts, knowledge, fortitude, effort and caring....light years!!!!

I think we've had the "Coach" three times...

Davis was just a terrible GM.

Mangini was just in Holmgren's way.

Pet looks to be the best we've seen.

I agree...these were the 3 best and, to my eye, Pettine is the winner!

Hope he's here for years to come

I don't think Halsam is like Jerry Jones at all. Jimmy is in front of the camera about 2-3 times a year. Jerry is in front of the camera almost daily. Jimmy is NOT the GM like Jerry is.

I like Jimmy way more then Randy Lerner. Jimmy seems committed to the team. Randy just paid people to run it for him.

As for the coaching since 1999, I liked Butch Davis. I would have liked him to not be GM and just coach. He could have done well IMO

Pettine is decent so far. He seems to have a clue what he's doing, ( unlike Pat Shurmer ) and he isn't putting up with the knuckleheads on this team either.

I think we are headed for good things, if they can get rid of the selfish idiots

I always liked Mangini and his philosophy. I might take heat for saying it but I thought the team player hard for him.

But the flip side he hasn't had another hc opportunity, maybe raiders, since so maybe he wasn't so good.

Mangini certainly did not seem as "relatable" as Pet has or Butch did, but I think his Coordinators made up for him. Certainly was true of Rob Ryan on the D-side.

I think Pettine is the man. I'm not as certain about his O coordinator however. Just not sold yet.

Fo sho, I wouldn't complain at all if we lost Shanahan (but the only way we're going to have a different OC is if he got an HC job, which he wouldn't) - not that he doesn't deserve more time I just wouldn't mind an immediate improvement.

I do wonder, maybe the Gipper or somebody could look this up, but around the league what's the average occurrence of coaches lasting less than two seasons for other teams?

As for any of those coaches In N Out in the blink of an eye of course I would wonder what a 3 year tenure might have produced. At any rate the act of replacement didn't seem to help. Of all of them I guess I'd have liked to see Eric Mangini get another roll of the dice. Who knows?

WSS

The Mangini firing set this org back nearly a decade. That was a debacle, and all cause his staff was "mean" to McCoy who was our anointed one at the time. I have zero doubt we would have been in the AFC championship by now had we kept him. Like Pettine or not we're stuck with him, we can't fire a coach for awhile or it's the dark ages for Cleveland football....some of you will be dead by the time the Browns sniff a .500 season again. Do we want to be the Raiders? If you think being a Browns fan is miserable.......

I like Pettine but even with the support shown to him by Haslam he will only have a short time to prove he can turn the club around. I think he can do it. From the comments my guess is of the past coaches most here would have picked Mangini to have been the coach if given time to turn it around in Cleveland.

I do wonder, maybe the Gipper or somebody could look this up, but around the league what's the average occurrence of coaches lasting less than two seasons for other teams?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/10/1/6874725/nfl-coaches-hot-seat-dennis-allen-teams-ranked

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/nfl-one-and-done-chudzinski-carroll-mora-schottenheimer

Like Pettine or not we're stuck with him...

Then it's a good thing we like him.

The only coach on that list I thought was okay was Mangini. It's not a surprise to me to hear he's getting interviews for a HC gig around the league right now. Pettine showed some good things but got marred in a QB carousel. Worst on that list by far was Pat "deer in the headlights" Shurmer. No matter what the fuck happened bad on the field Shurmer had this look on his face like he was just baffled he was there.

As far as Shurmur goes, I wasn't enamored with him...but the last time I really thought the Browns were really brewing something on defense was under Shurmur. I initially did not like that we were switching schemes again from Mangini's 3-4 but honestly I really thought the 4-3 we were developing under Shurmur was going to be special. While I didn't hate Hortons 3-4 we ran that year I still thought it was a step back from what we were building the previous two years. So I give Shurmur and his staff some credit. And what I thought even back then was that even if a coach shows some sideline misjudgements, how do his players relate to him...and to a man that lockeroom was behind Shurmur. I don't have much doubt that given two more years under him we might still have been playoff contenders this year. Continuity and consistency trump everything. Pettine has to be here for years to come.

The Mangini firing set this org back nearly a decade. That was a debacle, and all cause his staff was "mean" to McCoy who was our anointed one at the time. I have zero doubt we would have been in the AFC championship by now had we kept him. Like Pettine or not we're stuck with him, we can't fire a coach for awhile or it's the dark ages for Cleveland football....some of you will be dead by the time the Browns sniff a .500 season again. Do we want to be the Raiders? If you think being a Browns fan is miserable.......

Agreed. I think Mangini was showing real progress until the fat fuck Holmgren came.

I always say if you want a coach who tries to be just like Bill Belicheck but is dumber, less respected, and fatter, you gotta go with Eric Mangini.

or Romeo

Archived