THE BROWNS BOARD

Hobbit Battle of 5 Armies Review

The Hobbit Battle of the Five Armies

Warner Bros

PG 13. 144 min

I would imagine that JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy is the most popular work of fantasy in the history of this world or any other. The attention to detail the depth of characters the research etc. etc. are beyond what most writers are able to imagine. It's for that reason that LOTR was so wildly successful when director Peter Jackson finally delivered a respectable film.

It's also no secret that Tolkien himself never considered the Hobbit a serious part of the rings saga, but more a whimsical story that led to a much greater project.

Still, The Hobbit is an entertaining and enjoyable sideline which has been read by every devotees of LOTR.

And let's not kid ourselves; it is also indubitably a cash cow.

I quick there are three, at least, types of customers for the film THE HOBBIT. First the zealots who will watch and dissect and the judge on the basis of accuracy to the novel. Second the apostles who while questioning some of the deviations from the word of Tolkein, will be pleased to see the characters and the story get fresh life.

Third would be your casual moviegoers who enjoy cool scenery and battle scenes. I guess I fall into the second group even though I have read Lord of the Rings at least 17 times.

If you don't remember my take on the previous installment it is that I think there was enough in the book to make one darn fine, though long, film. Alas because of the dictates of the dark bean counters of Isengard, the films have been stretched to the limit of potential profitability. I don't really mind since I love the look of Peter Jackson's vision, the characters and the Tolkien like story.

As I say fans of epic battle scenes should enjoy this since I'd wager 95% of the film is devoted to war, hence the subtitle War of the Five Armies. Among these battle scenes there are some insights given that will help link this film to Lord of the Rings. We get an idea why the Elves and Dwarves hate each other, which is a running theme throughout the trilogy.

You also have to put up with characters added for comic effect and one attractive elf girl with a bow and arrow inserted apparently to appeal to the teenage fans of Katniss Everdeen.

I can't say that I haven't enjoyed the Hobbit saga but I made a conscious effort to set aside my need for literary accuracy and go along for the ride.

At least there isn't any Jar Jar Binks.

B-

WSS

Archived