THE BROWNS BOARD

Derrick Ward Keen on Cleveland

WPB Dawg Fan

Might be a nice addition:

A few Giants' free agent notes

The NFL free agent signing period begins Feb. 27. Here are a few notes about potential New York Giants' free agents.

* The Giants seem willing to let safety James Butler find a new team.

"They told me they're going to let me try out free agency but to keep them posted on what I find out there," Butler said. ...

Even Butler knows the Giants don't spend a lot of money on the safety position. They let Gibril Wilson walk away without much of a fight at all last year. And in this case, they're clearly not making a push to retain Butler, 26, before another team gets a crack at him. So the only way he's coming back is if the market proves to be very cool and he signs a short-term, low-budget offer to stay with the Giants - a la Derrick Ward last season.

So Butler is likely in his last days as a Giant.

Personally, I have no problem with letting Butler go. Kenny Phillips and Michael Johnson are clearly ready for full-time duty. R.W. McQuarters can play safety in a pinch, and I'm sure the Giants can find a veteran free agent or use a second-day pick for some depth.

* Patricia Triani has some interesting thoughts on the Giants' decision to tender cornerback Kevin Dockery, meaning they would get a second-round draft pick from any team that signs him as a free agent.

My gut feeling is that this is a repeat of the James Butler situation. You’ll recall last year the Giants tendered Butler a second round offer to ensure he remained with the team, but that they didn’t bother extending him. They did that to protect themselves in the event they weren’t able to replenish the safety position with some young talent (which they did with Kenny Phillips.)

One last thought on Dockery and the corner back spot. I’d be floored if the Giants didn’t draft at least one corner in this spring’s draft. Then I suppose that goes without saying, as if you go back to 2003, the Giants have taken at least one corner in each draft class, the exception being 2005.

* Derrick Ward has the Arizona Cardinals, Cleveland Browns and Houston Texans on the top of his list of potential landing spots. I have thought for a while that Arizona, where Edgerrin James clearly wants out, is the perfect spot for Ward. He can clearly contribute both running and catching the ball.

* Newsday says the Giants are not among teams being targeted by free-agent wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh. It's hardly breaking news, but my guess for the Giants as they target wide receiver help is that they will either swing an Anquan Boldin trade or use on of their first two picks on a receiver.

I'd look at Butler first but also Ward is interesting. Butler would certainly be a lot cheaper then the contract that Jones wants and he is a player.

If I knew I could get some additional picks and have a shot at R. Jennings, I would pass on Ward. If I'm stuck with 4 draft picks then he would be a good option and a lot cheaper then Lewis who $6.4 million coming. Actually might get more productivity from Ward then Lewis.

Ward is "just OK" for me.. He is an upgrade over Jamal at 29 years old.. But he is not the guy I think we need to lead this team for years to come.. We need a guy who can really pound it between the tackles. I say pass cuz he will cost to much and produce too little.

i pass on him...just ruben droughns in disquise. just my thoughts...

Not even close to the same player. Landing Ward would be a great pick up for the Stains. He's an explosive RB with good vision and light it up quite a few times this season all the while not getting majority carries.

Guest Masters

Droughns did, but at 4ypc, not 5.6ypc in a secondary roll. Ward will be this years Michael Turner. That is like saying you wouldn't take Mack or Byner in their prime.

Droughs got a thousand for us..big deal...pass... we need youth at RB....harrison should be the elder statesman after this draft! JMO

Ward is 28, drafted by the Jets in 2004................................you want youth? I don't consider him an old man. Some experience is not a bad thing nad he would be cheaper then Lewis..

Sounds like the Browns are interested in him too:

Cleveland Browns have eyes on New York Giants RB Derrick Ward

by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter

Friday February 20, 2009, 11:20 AM

INDIANAPOLIS -- Browns coach Eric Mangini doesn't say much, so when he does say something definitive, it bears noting.

In a morning meeting with Northeast Ohio reporters, Mangini indicated strong interest in Giants free agent running back Derrick Ward.

Ward recently said on Jim Rome Is Burning that the Browns would be a team he would like to play for.

"He's a guy we'd look at," Mangini said. "I can tell you there's a lot of free agents we're looking at."

Ward rushed for 1,025 yards for the Giants in 2008, joining Brandon Jacobs as only the third pair of running back teammates to go over 1,000 yards in the same season. Ward is 5-11 and 228 pounds and will be 29 in August

Ward is 28, drafted by the Jets in 2004................................you want youth? I don't consider him an old man. Some experience is not a bad thing nad he would be cheaper then Lewis..

Just my lonely opinion man.....Rb's are better to groom than buy in my opinion and don't last very long after 28.

How and Why did the name "Steelers" appear in this thread?

I just don't understand this forum

Maybe you should post more and you'd understand. It was also a joke. However the Browns should build through the draft and not rely on free agency to fill their voids. Although I do really like Ward for the Stains and believe FA may be the answer at RB for the Browns because there are more pressing needs at other positions via the draft. We'll see what Mangina gets done. I can't wait for the damn combine to start.

Ward is "just OK" for me.. He is an upgrade over Jamal at 29 years old.. But he is not the guy I think we need to lead this team for years to come.. We need a guy who can really pound it between the tackles. I say pass cuz he will cost to much and produce too little.

I correct myself.. i did not realize he was already 29 years old.. NO THANKS... we already have an over the hill guy

Just my lonely opinion man.....Rb's are better to groom than buy in my opinion and don't last very long after 28.

I agree and disagree.

In the big scope, sure, you are always smarter to build via the draft.

Where I disagree is grooming RB's. Runningbacks don't need to be groomed just as a few other positions don't need grooming...DB's as an example. If you are good, you are as good as you get from the beginning.

I don't know much about this guy, but we do need to use FA to fill some holes while we do build through the draft.

If he is deemed to be one of those guys, so be it.

I agree and disagree.

In the big scope, sure, you are always smarter to build via the draft.

Where I disagree is grooming RB's. Runningbacks don't need to be groomed just as a few other positions don't need grooming...DB's as an example. If you are good, you are as good as you get from the beginning.

I don't know much about this guy, but we do need to use FA to fill some holes while we do build through the draft.

If he is deemed to be one of those guys, so be it.

I agree that building through the draft is the best way to go, but with 4 draft picks we can't get a pass rusher, ILB, SS corner, center, DE, WR and RB.

So, what positions do you draft and what positons do you fill with FA? Wouldn't it seem reasonable to grab the best players by need in FA and then set up a draft stratagy. If I can get a Ward or Gabril wilson or Jason Brown or Bart Scott then I can work around what I have with the limited draft picks.

Yes, I would rather draft a 22 year old RB but then what position are you going neglect because you only have 3 more picks and a very tight cap.

If I can get Ward at half of what I would have to pay Lewis, it is a no brainer for me. If somehow I can get an extra second round pick and a third round pick then I take my chances with drafting a RB. But reality is we have 4 draft picks and trading Anderson isn't a certain.

As Ytown alluded to, not everything can be fixed in a year through the draft. A guy like Ward can give us one more year to address RB in the draft and continue to work on this defense and possibly oline.

I still think the Browns will keep 4 backs this year. Don't just discard Wright into the scrap heap, he's huge on specials and a guy they can really depend on. I think adding a guy like Ward at a reasonable cost is an excellent idea. He's a damn good back in a shared role and he hasn't been beaten down a lot in his career, so his 28 is not the same as JLew's 29.

If this allows us to go after more needy positions and is cost effective, I'm down with it.

Archived