THE BROWNS BOARD

Cavs sit tight, make no deal at the Trade Deadline

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS

I got that sick feeling ....

That same sick feeling I had the night Don Rogers died .... the one that says, "Did we just lose that final piece of the puzzle?"

It's gonna be a hell of a long road to the NBA finals if we indeed were unsuccessful making any deals. Tune-up for the spin telling us all about some gay chemistry and catchy phrases about 'dancing with the one we brought to the dance', etc ...

I think Ferry knows that we needed that piece, and I think the guy over-turned every rock and then some ... but he had a rubber band attached to his sport jacket this year and it kept pulling him back to sticking with who we got.

I'm officially bored .....

Guest ATENEARS

How long do we sit here refreshing ESPN, The Cavs Official site, and the PD's web pages?

Will we all know by 3:30pm, or do you think it will drag on later than 4:00pm EST?

Guest ATENEARS

I'm starting to conceed that nothing happened .... there is nothing to do but rally behind who we have here and run with it.

P.S.: I'm heading to the game next Tuesday night ... Yea me!

Guest ATENEARS

Cleveland Cavaliers remain intact as NBA trade deadline passes without a deal

by Brian Windhorst / Plain Dealer Reporter

Thursday February 19, 2009, 3:29 PM

TORONTO -- Wally Sczcerbiak sat and watched the giant digital clock inside the gym at Humber College this afternoon until it struck 3. Then he smiled and relaxed for the first time in what seemed like weeks.

Despite lots of talks and several potentially high-profile deals, the Cavaliers ultimately stuck with their plan to stand pat at the NBA trading deadline. The team was simply unwilling to give up any of its valued assets, and that turned out to be a stumbling block in getting any sort of major deals done.

Most of the talks today centered onund Phoenix center Shaquille O'Neal. It was thought the Cavs were offering Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic, but the Suns were asking for Szczerbiak. The Cavs then tried to find another team to get involved, but couldn't make anything work.

Szczerbiak said he had been a little bit nervous the last couple days and was reading newspaper and Internet reports. His reaction matched that of the rest of his teammates, who were lighthearted and joking around once the deadline finally came and went.

Shortly after the deadline the team piled into its buses and left for the airport on the way to Milwaukee . . . and the rest of the season.

The team CLE has now has only lost 11 games all season. It ain't a bad team.

It's a really good team actually, and I don't think we'll have much to complain about until at least the 2nd round.

Is this team capable of winning a championship? I do believe so. Sure thing? No but it'll be a fun ride.

The only time I think we'll have to deal with any legitimate complaints with the Cavs not making a deal is if Boston or the Lakers dominate the paint in the playoffs.

If we can lead the East, I think we win with home court advantage.

Finals, that's where we'll wonder of we should have pulled the trigger.

Of course, this team knows how close the Cavs came to making a deal. They are still together though and I think that will give them a big boost emotionally. We'll see just how far the "warm and fuzzy's" get this group before someone makes us regret not making a deal.

Guest ATENEARS
The only time I think we'll have to deal with any legitimate complaints with the Cavs not making a deal is if Boston or the Lakers dominate the paint in the playoffs.

Don't forget about Orlando first, before we ever even get to Boston.

Guest Masters
Don't forget about Orlando first, before we ever even get to Boston.

Let's wait and see how CLE looks against ORL when they have all their pieces. ORL right now looks bad w/o Nelson and they won't have him back this year.

The team CLE has now has only lost 11 games all season. It ain't a bad team.

No one thinks it's a bad team. We see them as right on the cusp of greatness, and don't want to see them fizzle out without a title. I would've liked Shaq, but I tried to keep my expectations low for a reason. We didn't have any great pieces for a big trade, and we still have at least one more year. Next year if/when Bosh and Amare make it clear they won't be re-signing, their teams are much more likely to trade them. I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade of either of them for Wallace, Hickson and a first rounder. Then we'll win that title, and go into the offseason ready to re-sign whoever we get and LeBron and build the team of the decade.

Yeah, I'm still pretty optimistic....

Guest Masters
No one thinks it's a bad team. We see them as right on the cusp of greatness, and don't want to see them fizzle out without a title. I would've liked Shaq, but I tried to keep my expectations low for a reason. We didn't have any great pieces for a big trade, and we still have at least one more year. Next year if/when Bosh and Amare make it clear they won't be re-signing, their teams are much more likely to trade them. I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade of either of them for Wallace, Hickson and a first rounder. Then we'll win that title, and go into the offseason ready to re-sign whoever we get and LeBron and build the team of the decade.

Yeah, I'm still pretty optimistic....

I actually agree with just about everything you said there.

The one thing I kept in mind is that the only big name trade that made a difference for a team (helping them win a title), in recent history, was DET getting Rasheed. They went on to win the title. Before that, it was Drexler going to the Rockets.

CLE has better parts than the team that went to the finals in 2007. DET back in 2007 was a better team than BOS or ORL right now. So I still think the EC runs through CLE.

Guest ATENEARS

I'm worried about next year (if we don't win it all this year). We will get nothing in return for losing Wally, and Varejao may hold us hostage again, not to mention that queasy feeling we will have if LeBron don't sign the extension early and it lingers all season. This was the year to go for it. I think we missed a huge opportunity.

I think Ferry has done an excellent job getting us to this point, but he got pretty lucky in the blockbuster deal last year and in acquiring Mo for nothing ... Unfortunately, sometimes you have to move a Daniel Gibson or an Anderson Varejao, for the likes of an Antawn Jamison, an Amare Stoudemire, or a Richard Jefferson ... or an expiring contract of Wally's for a Shaq (good greif ... it should have been a no brainer).

Did we really try to make a trade? Seriously? .... we dangled bench players, and held on to expiring contracts and draft picks. What exactly were we fishing for? Or did we even have a hook on the line?

This was a farce ... I think we went sheepish today and the more thought I put into it the madder I get.

If I remember correctly, last year the trade went through like RIGHT before the deadline. I think if anything happend, we would've heard it by now.

I just think they would have had to screw their future up to adquire anybody that would make their team any better. To get Jefferson, Shaq, Stoud, or Jamison, they'd be giving up too much. Some here have said that the future doesn't matter if you can win a championship now, and I agree. But simply bringing in Jefferson or Shaq or Stoud or Jamison guarentees nothing. There are still 3-4 other really good teams we'd have to beat. The celtics took a chance last year like that, it was ballsy, and it worked. But I'm not sure that's always the right play...especially when you have a young core like Bron, Mo, Delonte, Andy, Sasha, JJ, Boobie, etc.

The reason we've had trouble building our team the past 5 years is lack of draft picks. Let's learn a lesson from that.

Let's not assume that a deal for Shaq would have guaranteed us a championship. In fact, the only thing it guarantees is we, as fans (or a lot of us anyway), would feel like Ferry is doing everything he can to win.

Other side of the coin...

Phoenix went nowhere last year after the Shaq deal.

Shaq's getting up there. He doesn't always make it to the other end of the floor.

Shaq would change our defense and our offense. I'm sure there would be some good things about that yet it would also create a few holes they would have to learn to fill.

Last year we made a big trade and it was said not all the pieces had time to fit. This year they do.

.... Sometimes you watch a team and feel they're over achieving. They can't possibly continue to play with the intensity and keep racking up the wins. I don't see where this current Cavs team is over achieving. They are winning with solid defense and many of our guys have consistently shot the ball well. We have no reason to believe that will change now.

There's no guarantee we are going to win it all, but I don't think someone embarrasses us like San Antonio did. Who ever beats us will deserve a championship. ...... I know, so let me say it first!

"JUST LIKE BOSTON DID!" there, I feel a little better.... stealing someone's thunder!

Guest ATENEARS
If I remember correctly, last year the trade went through like RIGHT before the deadline. I think if anything happend, we would've heard it by now.

It's over, I caught the tailend of a Danny ferry interview. We sat idle.

I just think they would have had to screw their future up to aquire anybody that would make their team any better. To get Jefferson, Shaq, Stoud, or Jamison, they'd be giving up too much.

Giving up the expiring contract of Sczcerbiak's?

#1.) He won't be here next season anyhow.

#2.) The Sun's may have even bought him out and he could have returned in 30-days, taking the dead roster spot that Eric Snow still holds on this team (and that the Cavs will now turn into cold cash).

#3.) Shaq's contract would have expired after next season and setting us up great for that strong FA market.

I don't see this deal handcuffing our future, or giving up our future. In fact, it would have helped longer term than sticky with Wally will.

I'm trying to look at the bright side. This team IS good enough to win it all as it stands and picking up Shaq wouldn't have been a guarantee anyway. We win it THIS year, LeBron stays for sure after '10 and we are set up nicely for a LONG run at the top.

Fingers crossed here.

Doug

I am not unhappy....

1) At 37 yrs old, Shaq has a MUCH larger chance of season ending injury than our younger players.

2) For guys in their 30's, teams wanted our young talent.

3) The Cavs team chemistry & performance now is the best I have EVER seen here.

4) IF we stay healthy, I feel we have a very real shot at the title.

If we can sign Joe Smith, I say DO IT! I liked him last season & would love to get him back....he just MAY be that missing link, without costing us our future.

Mike

I am not unhappy....

1) At 37 yrs old, Shaq has a MUCH larger chance of season ending injury than our younger players.

If we can sign Joe Smith, I say DO IT! I liked him last season & would love to get him back....he just MAY be that missing link, without costing us our future.

Mike

I agree with all of that, except, THE FUTURE IS NOW. Whatever it takes to win NOW.

Guest ATENEARS
I am not unhappy....

C'mon Mike, don't allow this turtle-vest, Ohioian fear approach to sports prevent ya from reaching another Championship. Shaq's healthy and playing rejuvenated at the time being, coming off an All-star MVP weekend.

Our alternative is getting half-lost J.J. Hickson and his growing pains, more reps during a Championship run. Oh yeah, and to lose Wally for nothing next season.

Actually, let's keep things in perspective, teams were more interested in our expiring contracts than young talent.

They had a nice run of team chemistry, but tailed off near the end of the second half and were exposed for a weakness in the paint. If they can find that team chemistry on the court again, and get back to playing sound team defense, they can hang till the end with the big boys with a chance to win it all. It's gonna take near the best chemistry you've ever seen to pull this thing off ... and a damn fun ride.

I agree.

Mike

I agree.

• 3 months later...
Guest ATENEARS

This was a key thread on the season.

Those that wanted to address Orlando, and not ignoring them with only sights set on Boston ... knew what they were talking about, and we never addressed that need ... and it cost us BIG TIME.

Archived