THE BROWNS BOARD

5 prominent authors discuss parallels with communism...and Islam

calfoxwc

I don't think there's much chicken/egg here. As religion is less allowed to interfere in government, people are able to break away from it freely. Of course, a civilised person in an uncivilised place with religious government would not put much stock in the religious overlords, but it starts the other way, IMO. Like the USA, founded generally by religious guys, but with separation of church and state.

Well separation of church and state wasn't even thought of until the mid 1800's. As I recall it was set in place to keep the ethnic Catholics from having as much of a voting bloc in the Protestant south. And I'd say that today separation of church and state just means a bunch of assholes delight in fucking with people. Its not that they really care about separation of church and state they just want to be a pain in the ass by forcing communities to remove copies of the Ten Commandments or nativity scenes or other things just as a general thumb in the eye of people whose beliefs shouldn't even affect their lives.

And let's not forget the profit involved for shit bags like the ACLU.

WSS

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Sad !

I never heard of that one, in the first link.

The second two links, don't seem to apply to the question,

but the first one sure does.

Just because "Lord" is part of the name of them, doesn't mean they are

claiming to be using the Bible as their guide to violence.

The first link, I stand a bit corrected, but that is hardly "Islamic" terrorists all over the world,

Well separation of church and state wasn't even thought of until the mid 1800's. As I recall it was set in place to keep the ethnic Catholics from having as much of a voting bloc in the Protestant south. And I'd say that today separation of church and state just means a bunch of assholes delight in fucking with people. Its not that they really care about separation of church and state they just want to be a pain in the ass by forcing communities to remove copies of the Ten Commandments or nativity scenes or other things just as a general thumb in the eye of people whose beliefs shouldn't even affect their lives.

And let's not forget the profit involved for shit bags like the ACLU.

WSS

I disagree - today, separation of church and state is necessary to keep, for example, US senators trying to quote the bible as proof of things; to keep freedom of religion; to keep a theocracy from discriminating against people outside its belief system.

I disagree - today, separation of church and state is necessary to keep, for example, US senators trying to quote the bible as proof of things; to keep freedom of religion; to keep a theocracy from discriminating against people outside its belief system.

I understand your hostility toward religion but whatever your own opinions may be aren't really based in fact, sorry.

Actually freedom of religion was among the platitudes the founding fathers used but if you read your history and understand the attitudes prevalent in the 16 and 17 hundreds I can't imagine you'd believe they wanted to ensure civil rights for homosexuals. Before then the churches had much more power than the government in many sectors and England actually did have an established Church. We didn't. It was never meant for persecuting people who dared to show religious exhibits in public. That's what it's used for now. And oh yes politicians still quote the Bible freely, even your pal Obama.

But we haven't had a war on Christianity skirmish on the board for a while. Maybe it needs its own thread, again.

;)

WSS

Hostility towards religion? In what way?!

I agree, the original intention of separation of church and state wasn't about gays, but that's part of it now, along with not paying much attention to people saying "global warming is a hoax, god will take care of us, we're only humans, we can't do anything to the planet" and things like that. Making sure that science is the basis for policy on scientific matters, for example.

The worst contribution to the world of England is protestantism. Not that I have anything against the religion in general, but Henry VIII deciding to form his own church just to get a divorce basically sparked hundreds of years of civil war, that's still being seen today.

Let's just throw terrorism away for a moment. Medieval Islamic armies are currently waging wars of attrition on everyone they see all across the middle east and chunks of africa. that's not necessarily terrorism but it is muslims. Muslims are raping their way through out Europe. And murdering. Sorry if that hurts your ass but it's reality. Muslims are going to be treated badly until they assert themselves against the radical elements that people associate with them outside of wagging a finger.

So I looked up myanmar and there is indeed a Buddhist monk speaking out against muslims but there's no mention of the genocide you speak of.

As for Charlie Hebdo that's nothing. A drop in the hat. The atrocities are happening in syria, iraq, lebanon, Nigeria. That's real aggression. Real genocide.

This is the part that blows my mind. If it's such a peaceful religion then why is there not more public outcry when these horrible things happen in the name of 'Islam?' A silent voice is silent approval. If somebody started blowing up colleges in the name of Cincinnati (my current school) you better believe there would be public outcry from students, faculty, and alumni that that is not who we are or what we believe in. Why is that so hard for Muslims? I know they aren't all bad..

This is the part that blows my mind. If it's such a peaceful religion then why is there not more public outcry when these horrible things happen in the name of 'Islam?' A silent voice is silent approval. If somebody started blowing up colleges in the name of Cincinnati (my current school) you better believe there would be public outcry from students, faculty, and alumni that that is not who we are or what we believe in. Why is that so hard for Muslims? I know they aren't all bad..

What would you like them to do, exactly?

Meeting violence with violence? I guarantee whichever group of 'freedom fighters' you go and speak to, they'll tell you they're standing up for the 'majority' of whichever race, religion or whatever they represent.

Besides, there are plenty of muslims fighting ISIS that maybe you don't hear about.

I hear about them but it's not enough. Most of them have fled. Sad as it is a guy I hate, Wayne Lapierre, is correct. The only thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

I agree. But this is why we have armies - do you really expect Os and people like him to drop their lives, fly to Iraq and take up arms? Or would you actually rather the coalition of armies, led by the US, take them on?

It's not America's job to police everything. However I'm scratching my head trying to understand why we are not doing something about isis and our clueless president has declared that the war there is over. It's not over. We destabilized that country and now we ought to be protecting the somewhat hapless citizenry from armies of soulless killers. Makes you wonder if the assertion that we're actually behind isis has some merit.

Archived