THE BROWNS BOARD

So, like I have asked others albeit unsuccessfully, give me a list of five bad Johnny stories that you know are factual.

5 (not dozens, not hundreds not thousands)

WSS

Sorry bud, I didn't dog Johnny football. Are you asking me to give you 5 examples of how the media broke stories on Johnny that were true? Or maybe stories that were supplied by sources that were true? If you clarify for me, I will gladly try i guess. Have to work tomorrow though, so likely won't get my response to late, but will try after you clarify. But I wasn't dogging Johnny. Was just pointing out how someone blindly claimed all journalists are liars, and they never have sources for their articles.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry bud, I didn't dog Johnny football. Are you asking me to give you 5 examples of how the media broke stories on Johnny that were true? Or maybe stories that were supplied by sources that were true? If you clarify for me, I will gladly try i guess. Have to work tomorrow though, so likely won't get my response to late, but will try after you clarify. But I wasn't dogging Johnny. Was just pointing out how someone blindly claimed all journalists are liars, and they never have sources for their articles.

don't know who the f you think you are nor do i care. think your a poser trying to troll for addition posting scores.

obviously you don't like the browns but yet you're here to gripe about them. do us a a favor and just go back to sweeping rat turds for a living behind the Manhole during 'ladies' nite. you friggin cooooont.

should i love 'em or hate 'em?

The regulars on this board have to understand reality.

The Browns DID move to Baltimore. That is the fact.

The current Browns are, and have been for a long time, dysfunctional. They are not a winning organization. They are considered the bottom of the league.

We are not the quality of the Bengals, Ravens or Steelers.

All this can change, but today the Browns are losers, and unsuccessful.

When we beat the Bengals and the Steelers the smack talk was incredible, but as usual the better organizations won in the end.

We can complain. say we are great, say people are lying, claim to be better than the other teams in our division, declare we make the right draft moves, claim to be better than our record, say the Browns never moved, say the other teams suck.... but in the end, there is reality. FACE IT.

The current Browns are, and have been for a long time, dysfunctional. They are not a winning organization. They are considered the bottom of the league.

When we beat the Bengals and the Steelers the smack talk was incredible, but as usual the better organizations won in the end.

We can complain. say we are great, say people are lying, claim to be better than the other teams in our division, declare we make the right draft moves, claim to be better than our record, say the Browns never moved, say the other teams suck.... but in the end, there is reality. FACE IT.

One of my main reasons I am holding out hope for the Browns is Pettine. We got a gem when we hired him. One of the teams you quoted was the Bengals as being a better team/organization than the Browns. I remember not that long ago when for a dozen years the Bengals were even worse than the Browns record wise with an owner who seemed to keep coaches with losing records to save a buck from buying out their contracts. The talk on sports was who would want to come and coach the Bengals? Then they finally hired a good coach Marvin Lewis. He made an immediate impact and the Bengals went 8-8 the first year,8-8 the second and the play offs his third year. I am banking on we have finally gotten that right coach. Say what you will about Marvin Lewis play off record but his team makes the play offs on a consistent basis.

Pettine exceeded expectations in his first year. I believe he will build on that going into next season.

Said the guy who is so dumb, that he thinks all reporters are liars. It's amazing how any stories ever get broken since they do nothing but lie. I mean seriously, the Ferguson stuff was all a lie, as tons was reported by "sources", funny how bountygate, spygate, deflategate, and now textgate have all been broken by "sources". Funny how NFL sources alerted people to the suspension of Gordon.

My pussy may hurt a bit, but at least I am not a bitch like you. You are not only a bitch, you are also a liar. Your parents should be ashamed they birthed a liar such as you. You tarnish their good name. Actually they were likely horrible parents, I mean look they raised a liar. I would rather raise a thief, at least there is a chance he is stealing for a good reason. There isn't a good reason to lie, it's just cowardly. I will just put you on ignore now, that way I can talk football with those who want to talk football. I hope you are a better parent then yours were.

Awwww. So sad.

Sorry if I misjudged you. The request to list five egregious actions is for the Johnny haters. As to reporters I don't think they are necessarily liars but the great portion of stories we hear is speculation from sources we know nothing about. It could be anybody. Maybe a disgruntled player or employee or the guy that delivers food to Berea. They may have some credibility but we've heard all sorts of stories as the seasons going on and then heard the complete opposite. There are people in the lowest levels of the organization that probably feel empowered by speaking to a reporter. I'm just recommending the proverbial grain of salt.

It's the natural by product when you have a ravenous fanbase and no real news to report. You have to take rumors, speculation and innuendo and try to build news stories.

WSS

Sorry if I misjudged you. The request to list five egregious actions is for the Johnny haters. As to reporters I don't think they are necessarily liars but the great portion of stories we hear is speculation from sources we know nothing about. It could be anybody. Maybe a disgruntled player or employee or the guy that delivers food to Berea. They may have some credibility but we've heard all sorts of stories as the seasons going on and then heard the complete opposite. There are people in the lowest levels of the organization that probably feel empowered by speaking to a reporter. I'm just recommending the proverbial grain of salt.

WSS

I am not a JM hater but I just don't believe his college skills translate well into the NFL. I agree about taking with a grain of salt anonymous sources. I prefer to hear from those who will go on the record to speak out.

I am not a JM hater but I just don't believe his college skills translate well into the NFL. I agree about taking with a grain of salt anonymous sources. I prefer to hear from those who will go on the record to speak out.

Well you could be right. There are probably more than 100 successful college quarterbacks (among the cream of the crop from high school) of which a very few will be drafted or signed by a professional team. And a tiny fraction of those will go on to be long term starters let alone championve So the smart money on any quarterback is the under.

WSS

The worst part for me as a Browns fan were the years in the 90's when we didn't have a team. Some Browns fans I knew kind of went with the Packers in those years. I tried pulling for the Raiders but it never worked.

It helped a little that I had a spare team from my adopted hometown in my back pocket...

Of course that team had to be the Houston Oilers...

"If it weren't for bad luck

I'd have no luck at all..."

It helped a little that I had a spare team from my adopted hometown in my back pocket...

Of course that team had to be the Houston Oiloers...

"If it weren't for bad luck

I'd have no luck at all..."

When they were the Tennessee Oilers for a few years I thought was kind of odd. An oil rig logo fit Texas but no so much Tennessee. Seemed like they would have changed the team name right from the start.

Why do you even post? That has to be the dumbest thing ever spoken in what 10,000 years of spoken language. Yep your right, the thousands of stories that use "sources say" that turn out 100% right are clearly wrong because you said so. Good one. Wow some real tools on this bored. Maybe they are sources because they don't want to be named? If a journalist is going to throw his "sources" under the bus each time they say something, they will stop saying stuff. What the hell is wrong with you?

It's easy to run around spouting generalities... isn't it? Trouble is, it gets you nowhere.

Why not address the specific assertion that LaCanfona is a troll reporter when it comes to the Browns? Too hard?

No facts?

More like you cannot. And since his article fits your preconceived notions, then why bother? Which is fine... it's done a lot here. Just don't get indignant, if you're questioned... or, worse yet, disagreed with...

When they were the Tennessee Oilers for a few years I thought was kind of odd. An oil rig logo fit Texas but no so much Tennessee. Seemed like they would have changed the team name right from the start.

Wasn't Jed Clampett from Tennessee?

i really can't wait to meet some of the people here at a tailgate or maybe even if given the right opportunity in some other way. 98% of the people on here are cool, have their own style and can take a joke and listen and give opinions.

and then there are the people i'd love to meet at a tailgate or somehow someway some other way by happenstance, but there would be no handshakes. as a matter of fact i wouldn't let them 100yards close to the people i care about. they'd be swept under a street cleaner before the first cork got pulled.

cbbacker: you don't know me. you don't know anyone on here i'm guessing. yet you come in and label people liars for what reason and with what facts? you need to get a grip and fast before your life spins downward like the turd i named cbbacker this morning as it disappeared towards the equator.

i think that's where the douchebags end up when getting street cleaned.

I will wager you $`1000.00 that you are officially wrong. Certain people moved and a few assets were transferred to Baltimore...Modell/Byrne...and that is it. The franchise stayed.

Perhaps....but that is a whole different story

Yet, they beat both the Bengals and Steelers handily....and played two close games vs. Ravens.

They can play with those teams.

Teams that never moved can go from high to low, from good organization to bad organization. The Steelers were the worst of the worst and for a while became the best of the best. The Browns were the best of the best and became the worst of the worst.

The Bills made 4 consecutive Super Bowls....then went to a point where they have not made a playoff appearance in 16 years (all under essentially the same management)

The Patriots were a shit team for most of their existance. The past 15 years they have been the best team.

Would you have proclaimed the Seattle Seahawks a potential dynasty 10-15 years ago?

Shit changes. Sometimes it changes fast.

Arkansas I believe.

I googled it.

The Beverly Hillbillies appear to be Southerners, but consistent information about which part of the South they are from is not given. Granny frequently mentions that she was born and raised around Limestone, Tennessee, near Greensville (sic; actually Greeneville), but the state from which the Clampetts move to California is never revealed. Various, sometimes conflicting, clues can be found in certain episodes. In season 5, episode 17, it is claimed that they come from the town of "Bug Tussle" in an unspecified state.

I always figured them for Kentucky....but Arkansas sounds about right too....Granny was my favorite

Well, I think it was pretty clear that they were from the Ozarks. See this blurb:

he Beverly Hillbillies appear to be Southerners, but consistent information about which part of the South they are from is not given. Granny frequently mentions that she was born and raised around Limestone, Tennessee, near Greensville (sic; actually Greeneville), but the state from which the Clampetts move to California is never revealed. Various, sometimes conflicting, clues can be found in certain episodes. In season 5, episode 17, it is claimed that they come from the town of "Bug Tussle" in an unspecified state.

While there is a town of Bugtussle in Oklahoma, this does not appear to be consistent with geographic clues in other episodes. Oklahoma is mostly plains, but the series calls Jed a mountaineer. Other episodes often refer to nearby towns, such as Joplin, Branson, Springfield, Tulsa, Silver Dollar City, all in or near southwest Missouri. In the eighth episode of season 8, "Manhattan Hillbillies," Granny tells the police officer in Central Park that her family comes from Taney County, and there is a Taney County in southwest Missouri. Early episodes also contain several references to Eureka Springs, which is in northwest Arkansas. All these communities (except Tulsa) are in relatively close proximity in the Ozark Mountains of the South Central United States. The characters' accents, their initial poverty, and the existence of oil are also consistent with an origin elsewhere in the Upland South, such as Appalachia. The show's creator and producer, Paul Henning, is from Independence, Missouri, and donated 1,534 acres (621 ha) to the Ruth and Paul Henning Conservation Area near Branson.[4]

The company that paid him for the oil was the OK Oil Company. OK could be for Oklahoma. FYI, the Ozarks do extend into eastern Oklahoma. He could be a mountaineer and be from OK.

Plus, I think Jethro was based on L'il Abner....which was Arkansas/Ozark based.

It's the natural by product when you have a ravenous fanbase and no real news to report. You have to take rumors, speculation and innuendo and try to build news stories.

WSS

Thank you WSS, someone that actually wants to talk football. I have no issue with you misunderstanding the posts, I had a lot, and seeing peoples response I am sure it was easy to think I was a Johnny hater. No biggie. As for reporters your right, obviously reporters don't always have accurate info, I was just pointing out how some guy generalized all journalists as liars. I tend to believe La Canfora and his "sources" because most of this information isn't new. There were reports back in May that Haslam forced them to take Johnny. There have been reports all year of how Gilbert and Manziel were more interested in living it up, then playing. Now the shanahan thing was new to me at least, but he did infact leave while being under contract, so I have no reason to doubt why he said he left.

Like i said, I do take this report with a grain of salt, but when you factor in the last 3 years, and the issues our front office has had, the revolving door, the quick firings. The fact that Farmer is an ex player, and trying to take more responsibility in the coaching to me is feasible. Not saying it's true, just feasible. I just don't see why a respected journalist would lie about stuff like that. I bet people jump at the chance to talk, while they may be disgruntled, i am thinking that might not mean they would lie, they just have no loyalty?

Was nice talking football though, thx WSS

Thank you WSS, someone that actually wants to talk football. I have no issue with you misunderstanding the posts, I had a lot, and seeing peoples response I am sure it was easy to think I was a Johnny hater. No biggie. As for reporters your right, obviously reporters don't always have accurate info, I was just pointing out how some guy generalized all journalists as liars. I tend to believe La Canfora and his "sources" because most of this information isn't new. There were reports back in May that Haslam forced them to take Johnny. There have been reports all year of how Gilbert and Manziel were more interested in living it up, then playing. Now the shanahan thing was new to me at least, but he did infact leave while being under contract, so I have no reason to doubt why he said he left.

Like i said, I do take this report with a grain of salt, but when you factor in the last 3 years, and the issues our front office has had, the revolving door, the quick firings. The fact that Farmer is an ex player, and trying to take more responsibility in the coaching to me is feasible. Not saying it's true, just feasible. I just don't see why a respected journalist would lie about stuff like that. I bet people jump at the chance to talk, while they may be disgruntled, i am thinking that might not mean they would lie, they just have no loyalty?

Well, I suspect the facts, the truth lie somewhere in the middle. Do I think that LaCanfora has an agenda because he is buddy buddy with Mike Lombardi who was fired by the Browns....yes. Do I think Haslam persuaded Farmer to take JMZ....and persuaded his coach to see what the kid could do? Sure. Do I think that Farmer etc. second guessed some of the coaching/play calling? Sure. I think every single owner/GM in the NFL does that with their coaches, OCs etc. Maybe they don't "text" it the way Farmer did.....but who is not aware of the images of Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft and any number of other owners and GMs being seen on their teams sidelines? The Browns FO communication with their coaching staff I do not believe is at all unique.

Do I think JMZ and Gilbert may have taken the NFL for granted and not given their full time and attention to their jobs? Absolutely.

But like I said before....anyone (and I don't know if you are included in this) who thinks that the asteroid is coming to destroy Planet Cleveland Browns.....needs to just buy a good umbrella. There are perhaps some showers, maybe even a thunderstorm and some hail falling......but these are not extinction events.....so quit acting like they are.

This team has as much overall talent as anyone else in this division. They just need to package it properly and get it all headed in sync in the right direction.

If you take out everything that "sources say"...all you Have is that Shanahan quit, Gordon is suspended and Manziel is in rehab.

This is all speculative shock journalistic garbage. Here's a good rule of thumb: "sources say" means absolutely nothing.

Multiple team sources have told me that Johnny threw a 90 yard TD pass to Brian Hoyer yesterday at rehab and that Jimmy Haslam is a gay robot.

shanahan quit after 1 yr....he quit because he is with a bullshit organization just like the skins....i'm glad we got him here in atlanta...what a fucking gift...he finally has a good qb and great recievers to work with....i do root for the clowns, and atlanta is my second team, but this clowns organization is the worse in the world..err maybe oakland and washington to...

Journalism at the NFL level is an old boys club. You start out on the beat, make some friends, those friends become your sources. La Canfora is known to be buddy-buddy with Lombardi. Regardless of what you say contrary to the fact, that is the case. It's likely that La Canfora said "hey, there's some shit going on in Brownstown, let's see what I can find", so he reached out to Lombardi or someone in that circle and said "give me some dirt". Obviously the information he's going to get isn't going to paint the Browns in a favorable light.

An article about a team in disarray is going to gain much more traction than an article about a team operating on all cylinders. However, what La Canfora did is commonly known as confirmation bias. It's chasing down leads to fit a story rather than developing a story based off of the information you gather.

If Pettine ends up fired in a year, La Canfora can say "I posted this story a year ago." Then he gets a nice, hefty raise and he becomes known as a "heard it here first" reporter. If Pettine goes on to become Coach of the Year and the Browns win a Super Bowl next year, La Canfora then gets to publish a followup story about how the Cleveland Browns overcame adversity. In the meantime, he's created a viral article that is generating tons of traction and is being shared on or referenced by a number of other major news sites, increasing their backlinks a thousand fold. It's a win-win situation for both him and CBS. It's not news, it's marketing.

In case you don't believe any of that, which you likely don't because it's reasonable thought-out logic, take a look at what this reporter wrote only a year ago about Kyle Shanahan:

Conversations with several people within the organization have revealed a similar perception of Kyle Shanahan as someone who was empowered and enabled by his father, spending an abundance of time in his fathers office, given a wide swath of power, and rubbing many people players, fellow coaches and members of football operations the wrong way...As a former member of the organization put it: Kyle bitches about everything, and then his father has to fix it. He bitches about the food in the cafeteria, he bitches about the field, he bitches about the equipment. He complains and then Mike takes care of it. Kyle is a big problem there. He is not well liked.

So, what is it? Is Shanahan the knight in shining armor who couldn't stand being in the messed-up Browns front office, or is he the petulant, spoiled child that everyone in the league knew him as that simply wasn't getting his way and wanted to leave?

In reality, what's likely happening is that Haslam is hands-on, Farmer is hands-on, Pettine is hands-on and Shanahan wanted them to be hands-off. Shanahan is used to a certain degree of autonomy, coaching underneath his father for the last three seasons. He likely didn't want to have to answer to not one, but three, different people.

I "generalize" reporters because I have the experience and knowledge to do so. I work in that field. I'm not a fan looking at it from the outside. Take it from someone who works in the industry, journalists at that level are self-serving assholes whose opinions can change mid-sentence.

The only new piece of information that La Canfora "broke" in that article is that Farmer, Scheiner and Pettine watch film every Monday. Nothing else was news. Was it news that Haslam is a hands-on owner? No. Was it news that Haslam purportedly pushed for Manziel to not only be drafted, but to start? No. Was it news that Shanahan didn't want to be in Cleveland? No.

What's happening is that the Cleveland Browns are retooling from years of garbage front office management. There will be churn, especially at the bottom. There will be growing pains. But the big three (Scheiner, Farmer and Haslam) are working together. Pettine, from most accounts, seems to also be on board. Shanahan wasn't. Loggains had a mouth that was bigger than his resume. So they got rid of an offensive coordinator who didn't want to be there without having to fire him and instead went with someone Pettine is comfortable with and can vouch for who runs a similar type offense. They fired a QB coach who has never developed a quarterback in his life. They hired a guy who not only played QB but also coached for the Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots and who has experience with Manziel.

For reactionary fans, that's "Oh my God, the Browns are a pile of hot garbage!" For the rest of us who can look at things logically, it's not only a smart business decision, it is a smart football decision. Haslam wanted Manziel, that's plain. Instead of fighting that and trying to implement a system that exploits Manziel's flaws, Pettine has reached into his bag and secured both a coordinator and coach that are experienced in developing rookies.

Doesn't sound like a front office in peril to me. It sounds like a coaching staff that is making the most out of the shitty situation they are in.

It seems that the people you qualify as "wanting to talk football" are just the people who you agree with, when in actuality the people "talking football" are everyone else but you. Then again, you'll be out of here in a few days, so I'm not really worried.

shanahan quit after 1 yr....he quit because he is with a bullshit organization just like the skins....i'm glad we got him here in atlanta...what a fucking gift...he finally has a good qb and great recievers to work with....i do root for the clowns, and atlanta is my second team, but this clowns organization is the worse in the world..err maybe oakland and washington to...

Browns went into Atlanta and won if I remember correctly. And finished with a better record. So there's that.

Zombo

I love a good "so there's that"...

Granny was my favorite

Dude I am going to have to go Ellie May all the way!!

Really... I might be able to accept a case for Granny over Miss Hathaway, but Ellie Mae? Never...

Archived