THE BROWNS BOARD

New LB Coach

WPB Dawg Fan

One more coach down:

The latest on Eberflus

By Dave Matter

Posted February 19, 2009 at 10:33 p.m.

AP photo

Missouri defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus is heading to the Cleveland Browns.

Over the last few hours I put the Blackberry to work while sitting courtside at Columbia College and covering the Cougars' men's and women's basketball games. Here's what I've gathered on the "Eberflus to Cleveland" story:

* Eberflus, 38, has agreed to become the Cleveland Browns' linebackers coach, multiple sources have confirmed. As of 6 p.m., the Browns and Eberflus had yet to sign a contract, but it was considered imminent. He could be introduced as Eric Mangini's linebackers coach as soon as Friday. Mangini was named the Browns' head coach back in January.

* I've been told by a well connected source that this wasn't the only NFL job Eberflus has sought recently. He also applied for a job with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

* Eberflus, a Toledo, Ohio native, who played linebacker for Toledo under Nick Saban and later Gary Pinkel, landed the Browns' job through his connection with Saban. Saban and Mangini worked for the Browns under Bill Belichick in the early 1990s. "I respect him as much as I can respect any head coach in the way he approaches things," Mangini said of Saban in 2006. Hence, the connection.

and here

Cleveland Browns may have found their LB coach

by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter

Thursday February 19, 2009, 4:39 PM

INDIANAPOLIS -- Browns coach Eric Mangini is on the verge of filling his vacancy at linebackers coach with Matt Eberflus, defensive coordinator and associate head coach at the University of Missouri. A source familiar with the situation indicated a deal is near.

Eberflus is a Toledo native and former linebacker at the University of Toledo. He has recruited several athletes from Northeast Ohio to the Missouri program. Eberflus' connection to Mangini runs through former Browns assistant Nick Saban, who is friends with Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel.

Linebackers coach is the most prominent vacancy on Mangini's staff.

A second source said the Browns could confirm the appointment as soon as Friday.

He has a great resume but his specialty seems to be safeties. But, as a previous defensive coordinator he would need to know all positions.

This is one college level hire i have no problems with eberflus has a great work ethic and fits in ideally with mangini..

I am sure Brock Christopher wouldn't mind a Undrafted FA shot at the Browns either. He has been on the Big 12 All Honorable Mention 2 years in a row...he is a slightly undersized MLB and was arguably Mizzou's best defensive player.

2007 - 7.5 TFL, 1.5 Sacks, 57 solos, 105 total tackles, 1 INT

2008 - I know he had 3 INT's (1 for TD) but can't seem to find the overall stats.

I like the fact that Mangini has brought in some college coaches and not just hired the same retreads that float anound the NFL for years. Sometimes you get guys that are very hungry to prove themselves.

I hope he has made some solid choices.

brock christopher in 2008: 105 tackles, 54 solo, 7.5 TFL (9 assist, 3 solo), 1 sack, 6 passes defensed, 2 QB hurries, 3 INT, one returned for a TD.

can't really argue with his production, but i've got to wonder if he'll be able to bulk up to be anything more than DQ's backup. if so, he could be a nice addition. if not, well, i guess we could always use someone to back up DQ.

brock christopher in 2008: 105 tackles, 54 solo, 7.5 TFL (9 assist, 3 solo), 1 sack, 6 passes defensed, 2 QB hurries, 3 INT, one returned for a TD.

can't really argue with his production, but i've got to wonder if he'll be able to bulk up to be anything more than DQ's backup. if so, he could be a nice addition. if not, well, i guess we could always use someone to back up DQ.

Not bad for a guy expected to go as UFA.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius
Missouri has good prospects, great atmosphere

The scouts just love going to Missouri’s pro day. They get lunch, the people are ultra friendly and it’s just a great stop. This year there are also several Tigers prospects worth watching. The offensive stars — QB Chase Daniel, TE Chase Coffman and WR Jeremy Maclin — will work out March 19, but a number of the defensive players ran drills.

One player who performed really well was S William Moore. He looked good in his positional drills and was impressive overall. He measured in at 6-foot and a 1/2-inch, 221 pounds. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.51 and 4.49 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.94 seconds. He also posted a 10-foot, 6-inch broad jump.

Defensive tackle Evander ‘Ziggy’ Hood kept his 40 time from the combine, but did do the other drills. He ran the short shuttle in 4.45 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.32 seconds. He had 35 reps in the bench press, jumped 34 1/2 inches in the vertical and leaped 9-feet, 8-inches in the broad jump.

Defensive end Stryker Sulak kept all of his combine numbers and did position drills.

Linebacker Brock Christopher checked in at 6-1 5/8, 238 pounds. He ran the 40 in 4.92 and 4.93 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.34 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.32 seconds, as well as having a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot broad jump and 20 bench press reps.

Missouri is also where Youngstown's Brad Smith went to college and I know Mangini wants to bring him here. Smith is a converted QB much like Cribbs and ran the Jets version of the Flash package. Mangini was torn between making him a RB or WR. I don't think he is close to Cribbs as a special teamer but he is a more polished receiver. He runs very good routes and is a solid slot receiver.

Lately there has been alot of buzz about moving William moore(mizz) to Linebacker.....don't think he'll fit in 3~4 , more of a tampa two LB if he does convert. depends how he does at the combine...

Moore's a SS and not a LB. He would be a great fit. As a rookie he would be a big upgrade from Jones at SS. He is just under 6'1" and weighs 221, had a good combine and is the top rated SS in the draft by most every site. He would be available in the 2nd round.

Guest Aloysius

Ytown, Moore had a poor senior season and an even worse week at the Senior Bowl. As Mike Mayock reported, he looked so bad in Mobile that teams were talking about converting him to linebacker.

It could be that ankle and knee injuries were to blame for his bad season, but that's the same excuse people have made for Sean Jones' play.

Not sure he'd be a big upgrade.

Guest Aloysius
The Columbia Tribune tracked Missouri's recent Pro Day, and commented on linebacker Brock Christopher's connection to new Browns LB coach Matt Eberflus:

If Christopher goes undrafted, you can bet someone will snap him up in free agency, especially with his ability to handle deep snaps. He’s not tremendously big, fast or athletic, but he’s smart and tough. He might not make millions, but he’ll be in someone’s camp in August. And I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he lands in Cleveland to play for new Browns linebackers coach Matt Eberflus, who told me last fall Christopher is good enough to make an NFL roster.

Good call, John.

• 4 months later...
Guest Aloysius
Stryker Sulak would like to know when he should report to Browns training camp.

Apparently, this could still happen.

Raiders waive sixth-round pick

Posted by Mike Florio on July 13, 2009 4:53 PM

The Oakland Raiders have found a new way to avoid holdouts by rookie draft picks.

The solution? Cut them.

A league source tells us that the Raiders have waived defensive end Stryker Sulak, a sixth-round pick in the 2009 draft.

The formal designation was "waived/unsigned."

So, basically, the Raiders have cut Sulak before his rookie training camp. Said the source, "I've never seen that happen before."

But the tactic is permitted. Teams are required only to tender one-year contracts for the rookie minimum to their draft picks. Even if the draft pick were to sign the one-year tender, the team would still have the ability to terminate the non-guaranteed deal.

Sulak was the 26th player picked in round six, and the 199th overall in the draft. The Raiders selected Sulak with a draft pick obtained from the Patriots.

The reason for the Raiders' decision to cut Sulak isn't known. Yet.

Guest Aloysius

Doesn't sound like Sulak did anything wrong:

Per our source, Sulak hasn't been in any kind of trouble that would have prompted this abrupt removal from the roster.

In fact, Sulak and his agent haven't been contacted by the Raiders at this point.

"Shocked is the best way to put it," the source said. "This is a good kid who plays football, hunts and fishes. This is very dysfunctional. I'm shocked that they didn't even call him to let him know or call his agent.

"It sounded like the minicamps went well and that he would have a chance to make the club. Of course, signing Greg Ellis might have made it tougher for him to make it. He'll go through the waiver system and see what happens."

The Raiders are crazy deep at defensive end, which could help explain why they cut him. But the funny thing is that wasn't even drafted to play end:

When Sulak was drafted, Raiders coach Tom Cable said the plan was to play him as a strongside linebacker along with fourth-round pick Slade Norris.

However, during the mandatory minicamp and OTAs, Sulak was instead lined up exclusviely as a defensive end and was getting reps with the second and third teams.

I think the Raiders being a mess is the best explanation for this. I'd be all for giving Sulak a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived