THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Smith Watch

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS

Most think the Cavaliers will now turn their focus to re-acquiring Joe Smith, to give us another Big.

Question is, is Joe miffed that we traded him away, and will he agree to come back or send vibes that he has an attitude? I don't know, I haven't seen anything on Smith to lean one way or the other.

On another front, will the Celtics go after Smith, using his close relationship with Garnet to sway him? (BTW< Garnet tweaked his knee, not known how serious yet)

Or, do we run with our young'ins in J.J. Hickson (6'-9", 242 lbs, 20yrs old), or Darnell Jackson (6'-9", 253 lbs, 23yrs old)? I personally have backed off my hope for J.J. ... I was a backer in the first half, but I don't see him as a 'winner' that is going to help us win this thing (this year), and the position he plays ain't a very good position for this team to have to carry.

Anyone hear's anything new on Joe Smith, let's us know here.

Stephen A Smith just said Joe Smith has no interest in returning to Cleveland and that he wants to go to Boston. I agree with you on Hickson/Jackson, they both play really hard and solid ball for rookies, but the truth is that they're too wide-eyed and lack the confidence/attitude right now to be a big contributor down the stretch.

That's true. However, Boobie simply hit open shots off LeBron's double teams. Hickson/Jackson will have to play tough, complete games against the Gasol/Bynum/Odom trio, the Garnett/Perkins/Powe trio (Perkins and Powe are both smart, tough championship players), and Howard.

Guest Masters

You didn't really just call Perkins and Powe smart and tough players? Watch a BOS game not against CLE. BOS bench is garbage.

Gasol is soft, and Odem will stop playing once the playoffs come. Just like last year. CLE didn't get out muscled by LAL in either game. They got out played. Nothing tough about hitting open jumpers or layups in a wide open lane. Bynum is done for the year. It is just like last year. He isn't scheduled to even be ready to practice until right when the playoffs start.

Howard is Howard. Ain't no one stopping him on any team. You can only contain him.

Guest ATENEARS
You didn't really just call Perkins and Powe smart and tough players? Watch a BOS game not against CLE. BOS bench is garbage.

What he said was that they are a hell of a lot smarter and tougher than Hickson & Jackson, and he is right. I don't care how many pipe-dream anologies (2007 Boobie) you want to compare them to, are two young'ins have a lot to learn and play a position that can be embarrassingly exposed.

Gasol is soft, and Odem will stop playing once the playoffs come. Just like last year. CLE didn't get out muscled by LAL in either game. They got out played.

Odem continues to play well ... extreamly well, to the point that we should all be hoping Bynum comes back soon and takes some minutes from him.

But you are right, we got flat-out out-played by the Lakers and it translated into being out-rebounded. With that said, why are you always so quick to discount the Lakers being in our way? I know you live in laker country, but being grossly out played both times we played them doesn't sit comfortably with me right about now, and all you have in defense is some pipe-dream vision of a 2007 Boobie playoff like performance from our young goofy Bigs.

I don't put any credence in Steven A's word that Smith "isn't interested". Smith is a pro and understands how NBA roster management works.

I think Smith would certainly consider coming to play for a contender with a strong, team-based culture and potentially being viewed as the "final piece" that brings Cleveland its first professional championship since '64. Sounds like pretty heady stuff to me.

Joe smith wasn't really that good when he was here, why do we want this scrub back? The problem we are going to have in the Post Season is stopping the bigs in the paint.

Big Z is great offensively for a 7-3 Center, but lacks that defensive intensity. When is the last time this guy has ever blocked another big going in for a dunk?

I know Andy is billed as a good defender, but he just flops around. His arms go crazy, and he gets a few rebounds off his Squid Like Approach to defense, but again, he gets out powered. His real contribution to the team is him getting to the free throw line everytime he is in the opponets paint.

Ben Wallace plays tough D, but he is out sized by many. I don't care how "big" Big Gay Ben plays, he is only 6'9, and while muscular, he gets overpowered by the 7 footers in the league, and his age has really hampered his jumping ability.

The only real two intense Defenders we have are LBJ and West. West plays his heart on D, but again lacks the size. You will see him fly up in the air to knock a shot down every once in a while, but we can't count on that to win a game.

Shaq would have solved alot of these problems. We could of started Z, and down the last stretch of the game put in Shaq to jam up the middle, and let us OWN their middle. Its a shame the Suns wanted the entire bank for us to get him, but it is what it is.

We still have a great team, and if we don't let a teams offense get hot early, I think we can go real far this year, if not all the way.

Guest ATENEARS

I agree Mario, but I like Joe Smith's shot. He serves a similar role as Ben Wallace as far as setting picks and setting up the offense, but the difference is is that Joe can score and has to be guarded.

I think our opportunity to get a 'BIG' to help us down the stretch has come and gone. Joe Smith is one of the few out there to help us now, and knows our defensive philosophy.

I think Shaq would have played an even bigger role than you allude to. LeBron has been settling for a lot of outside jumpers, so who cares if Shaq started or played 30-mins, it ain't like LeBron has been taking it to the hole as our primary offense since defensese are selling out and crashing down on him to stop his awesome display of finishing and scoring in the paint. LeBron takes it to the hole in transition, when Z or Shaq wouldn't be past the half court line anyhow.

Mikki Moore has signed with the Celtics, meaning they probably won't sign anyone else...

Denver is also hoping Joe Smith becomes available because they are interested....

Cavs are reportedly looking at Robert Horry, though he says he's probably not coming back

Horry info from ABJ, Smith and Moore info from ESPN...too lazy to get a link right now, but I'll look around and see if I can find them again.

Guest ATENEARS

I liked Mikki Moore's play the past couple of years, but I was shocked to read that he has been in the league 10 years and his career numbers are so low.

Guest Masters
What he said was that they are a hell of a lot smarter and tougher than Hickson & Jackson, and he is right. I don't care how many pipe-dream anologies (2007 Boobie) you want to compare them to, are two young'ins have a lot to learn and play a position that can be embarrassingly exposed.

Odem continues to play well ... extreamly well, to the point that we should all be hoping Bynum comes back soon and takes some minutes from him.

But you are right, we got flat-out out-played by the Lakers and it translated into being out-rebounded. With that said, why are you always so quick to discount the Lakers being in our way? I know you live in laker country, but being grossly out played both times we played them doesn't sit comfortably with me right about now, and all you have in defense is some pipe-dream vision of a 2007 Boobie playoff like performance from our young goofy Bigs.

That's true of Perkins and Powe right now, as far as being more experience/smart players. (and double check his post, he compared Hickson/Jackson going against KG/Perkins/Powe and Bynum/Odem/Gasol). But if looking to a playoff showdown, you have to account for their player growth. Which Hickson has shown from camp to today. So there is no reason to think he won't continue. That is why I use the Boobie anology. Powe and Perkins really don't have the skill to expose players at that position, even w/ their savy. Other than for a play or two. If we were talking Hickson and Jackson playing meaningful minutes against KG, Gasol, Bynum, or Odem, then yeah, they'll get exposed big time. But the odds of that are slim.

Just watch on Odem. He pulled this same routine down the stretch last season when Bynum went out. Come playoff time, he'll collapse.

I don't mean to make it sound like the Lakers are some push over. They aren't at all. But I don't read much into regular season games. Especially an out of conference game. CLE had owned the Lakers the last 3 years. It doesn't tell you much. CLE played the Lakers w/o Z once and both w/o West, who is CLE best individual defender. That changes a lot, and LA exploited CLE over commiting to the outside and the inside. CLE isn't gonna play like that in the playoffs in a 7 game series. Not to mention LA now doesn't have a big on their bench.

I am hard on the Lakers, and I'll admit a bit of a hater of them, living in Laker land. But I also watch over half of their games for that same reason. They are no different this year than the team that gave up against BOS in last years finals. They got holes. Regular season doesn't mean a thing come playoffs, other than home court. We have all seen teams rattle off big regular season records, like the Mavs in the west, and flounder in the playoffs. The western conference is down this year, and the Lakers are capitalizing on it, as they should. But they still don't match up w/ BOS or CLE in a 7 game series. Maybe not even ORL, when they had Nelson to run point. I am not even sold that LA can get by DEN if they meet in the playoffs. Billups has turned them into a different team.

joe smith has been bought out and his first choice is the cavs so it looks like were going to get him but the kings bought out drew gooden i think it would b a good idea to try and get both of the for depth since wallace is out for 4-6 weeks we could use the depth IMO anyone else think it would b a good pick up for both of them???

Archived