THE BROWNS BOARD

Binge watching Bingo

Over the past few weeks I have been doing some binge watching of various series. That is what winter is for.

Just wondered what people thought of these:

Fargo, the Series. Season One

Orange is the New Black. Season One

Unforgettable.

Dracula. The NBC series starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers.

The Bridge

The Walking Dead, 4th season

Orphan Black

House of Cards

Homeland, Season 3

My wife and I also watch a lot of English mysteries:

DCI Banks

Poirot

Broadchurch

Midsomer Murders Series 23

Wallander...Swedish series (subtitle)

Miss Marple

Ripper Street

Bletchley Circle

Endeavour

Vera

There may be a few others.

What other good shows are out there to binge watch? (Generally I do not do sitcoms)

Over the past few weeks I have been doing some binge watching of various series. That is what winter is for.

Just wondered what people thought of these:

Fargo, the Series. Season One - Great series.

Orange is the New Black. Season One - Never watched

Unforgettable. - Never watched

Dracula. The NBC series starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers. - Never watched

The Bridge - Great series

The Walking Dead, 4th season - Great Series

Orphan Black - Never watched

House of Cards- Never watched

Homeland, Season 3 Watched season 1 and part of 2. Don't have SHOWTIME

My wife and I also watch a lot of English mysteries:

DCI Banks

Poirot

Broadchurch

Midsomer Murders Series 23

Wallander...Swedish series (subtitle)

Miss Marple

Ripper Street

Bletchley Circle

Endeavour

Vera

There may be a few others.

What other good shows are out there to binge watch? (Generally I do not do sitcoms)

Can't help you, Gip. Sorry.

I don't watch a whole lot of TV but, when I do, I either watch reruns of Seinfeld or Two and a Half Men with Charlie Sheen.

I watch a fair amount of American Pickers, Pawn Stars, and Hard Core Pawn. I like them because I like to dabble a bit.

I confess that I am a channel flipper and, sometimes, come across something that makes me stop and watch. Flipping last night, I came across a movie starring Jennifer Beals. I knew today would be Monday 'snow day' #3 in a row so I allowed myself to get caught up in the lame movie on Lifetime.

If I do get involved in 'Binge' watching, it is usually when my kids are home from school and they get me interested in certain series. Nothing recent, though.

Try the Americans on FX about KGB illegal spies living as Americans. Excellent series. If you have on Demand you can watch the first two from this year.

That is one that I want to see....and honestly, the series that I get usually I get the DVDs from the library. I can always order something like that. Has the first season come out on DVD yet?

(The one series that I always purchase the DVD sets for is GOT)

Can't help you, Gip. Sorry.

I don't watch a whole lot of TV but, when I do, I either watch reruns of Seinfeld or Two and a Half Men with Charlie Sheen.

I watch a fair amount of American Pickers, Pawn Stars, and Hard Core Pawn. I like them because I like to dabble a bit.

I confess that I am a channel flipper and, sometimes, come across something that makes me stop and watch. Flipping last night, I came across a movie starring Jennifer Beals. I knew today would be Monday 'snow day' #3 in a row so I allowed myself to get caught up in the lame movie on Lifetime.

If I do get involved in 'Binge' watching, it is usually when my kids are home from school and they get me interested in certain series. Nothing recent, though.

I watch the Pickers and Pawn Stars a lot myself. Not so much the Hard Core Pawn.....too hard core for me.

Damages is really addictive.

Susan mike homeland more than I do but we've seen it through season 4.

Through six episodes of Boardwalk Empire and really like it.

Breaking Bad was excellent.

Love the Riches but it was killed midseason by the writers strike.

Tried the Americans but we're almost bored to death by the first episode. Might try it again...

I watched a few episodes of Bates Motel and couldn't get into it.

We love house of cards. Have never seen alpha house.

Justified is pretty good.

As for sitcoms episodes is excellent. Bob Martin turned me onto it.

I like Gotham so far.

The Following gets a little shaky in season 2 and season three starts soon.

WSS

Damages is really addictive. Have not seen

Susan mike homeland more than I do but we've seen it through season 4. Saw it through Season 3. Good

Through six episodes of Boardwalk Empire and really like it. Saw it through Season 4

Breaking Bad was excellent. Of course, but that has been done for a while.

Love the Riches but it was killed midseason by the writers strike. Have not heard of it.

Tried the Americans but we're almost bored to death by the first episode. Might try it again...

I watched a few episodes of Bates Motel and couldn't get into it. Saw it at library.....have veered away so far.

We love house of cards. The original British version was good as well

Have never seen alpha house. Nor I

Justified is pretty good. It is.

As for sitcoms episodes is excellent. Bob Martin turned me onto it.

I like Gotham so far.

Waiting for the DVD

The Following gets a little shaky in season 2 and season three starts soon.

I thought it was shaky in Season 1.

WSS

Also....I think I need to the The Vikings. Did not watch it when on TV

Standard Game of Thrones response aside, there don't seem to be as many 'live' shows of such great quality as a few years ago with Breaking Bad, the wire and things like that. I binged on Nashville for a bit, but it wasn't great - just background noise while working. Same with 'Black Sails' I've just started - not great, though lots of sex.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

That is one that I want to see....and honestly, the series that I get usually I get the DVDs from the library. I can always order something like that. Has the first season come out on DVD yet?

(The one series that I always purchase the DVD sets for is GOT)

I have seen the first two seasons of The Americans and both my wife and I like it a lot.

The Wife and I watched the "First season" of The Dig. I liked it, she couldn't take her eyes off of it.

Am in the middle of the second season of DaVinci's Demons.

First season was good. Second season is pretty weird....it has DaVinci going to South America.....uh, no.

In the last few weeks we have seen the first 3 Seasons of Lovejoy.....yes, it comes from the early 90s....but we still like it, and we hear there is going to be a revival of it soon. In case you don't know, it is a light comedy/mystery starring Ian McShane as a somewhat ne'er do well antiques dealer.

Am also about to embark on the Final Season of Justified. Enjoyed it all the way through.

SPOILER ALERTS....do not read on if you do not want stuff revealed.

Recently watched the last season of Justified. A bit disjointed compared to the previous seasons....though the addition of Sam Elliot was good.

By the way....whatever happened to the other 9 million dollars?

Also saw Season 3 of House of Cards. Good throughout until the end. I still didn't get Stamper's obsession with the girl. And if he was so obsessed, why did he change his mind and kill her? And why did Claire leave? I saw no motivation in that at all. Her own blind stupid ambition?

• 2 weeks later...

More:

Have seen the following:

State of Play. An older BBC Murder Mystery

Started to watch "An Honorable Woman" It was so draggy and lugubrious I quit after two episodes

Watched the second season of The Musketeers. Also a BBC production.

Saw the First season of Black Sails.....enjoyed it.

I am now into watching the first season of Ray Donovan......still trying to figure out what the show is supposed to be about.

Did you like it? You must of liked it enough to start on season two...

Yes, well enough. At first I was thinking WTF is this show about. But basically it is just about his family and the shit they get into and the love/hate they have for each other.

(and from what I understand, Angelina Jolie feels toward her father about the way that Ray feels towards the character he plays)

• 1 month later...

More Binge watching reviews:

Started to watch The Strain. It is really just kinda shitty.....kinda gross. Saw 2.5 episodes and put it down. Still have it, will debate whether to watch the rest.

But in putting it down, I started watching Newsroom, starring Jeff Daniels. And it is outstandingly done. Brought to you by the same people that produced The West Wing. Does it have a liberal slant? Sure, but get the fuck over it you RRRRRepublicans. The main character is an r. It is a well crafted entertaining TV show.

Archived