THE BROWNS BOARD

Sick Story and Sick Legislation

Chicopee John

I hate to use this a context because it is so heinous. Clearly, no 'normal' Human Being can agree to such a crime - regardless of reason, motivation, etc.

I continue to be bothered by the entire, "Hate Crime" designation.

Gipper might want to chime in on the legal aspects, but I thought Americans were liable for criminal actions - murder in this instance, not for their thoughts or beliefs.

To me, "Hate Crime" legislation was/is little more than SOMEBODIES view that killing somebody because they are Christian, as an example, is worse than, simply, killing that person.

In a way, this legislation that implies that one murder is, de facto, worse than another murder. Of course, this is the case but I submit multiple murders are worse than single murders because the actions were greater, caused more grief, etc.

I hate this in more ways than one.

North Carolina man charged in shooting death of 3 Muslim students

A man who portrayed himself as an avowed atheist on social media was in custody early Wednesday after allegedly gunning down three Muslim students in a condominium complex near the University of North Carolina hours earlier.

Craig Stephen Hicks, 46, was charged with three counts of first-degree murder after turning himself in to police in Chapel Hill overnight. Police have not given a motive for the triple homicide, although a Facebook page in Hicks' name described him as a supporter of “Atheists for Equality” and in a recent post he asked “why radical Christians and radical Muslims are so opposed to each others’ influence when they agree about so many ideological issues.” The victims' religion and Hicks' outspoken beliefs fueled broad online speculation that the murders were a hate crime.

Those killed were Deah Shaddy Barakat, 23; his wife, Yusor Abu-Salha, 21; and her sister, Raleigh, N.C. resident Razan Abu-Salha, Chapel Hill Police said in a statement.

Barakat was studying dentistry at the University of North Carolina, while his wife and sister-in-law were attending North Carolina State University, according to the Raleigh News-Observer.

Chapel Hill police found the victims dead at the scene after responding to a report of gunshots at a condominium complex at 5:11 p.m. Tuesday. Hicks is being held at Durham County Jail without bond. All three were shot in the head, authorities said.

Barakat and Abu-Salha were married Dec. 27, according to the Raleigh News-Observer. She had attended high school in Raleigh, and was on track to graduate from college in December with a degree in biological sciences, according to a North Carolina State University news release. Her sister was studying architecture and environmental design at North Carolina State.

Barakat, a Syrian-American, had majored in business administration and management at North Carolina State before enrolling at UNC-Chapel Hill two years ago to pursue his doctorate in dental surgery. He and his new wife worked for a charity that provided dental care to people in the United States and the Middle East. A Facebook post by Barakat dated Jan. 29 detailed a Durham project that provided dental supplies and food to homeless people this year.

He and 10 other dental students at the school were scheduled to go to Turkey in the summer, where they were going to treat Syrian refugees as part of a project organized by UNC-Chapel Hill School of Dentistry and the Syrian-American Medical Society. Hours after the murders, more than $8,200 had been donated to the online campaign for "Project: Refugee Smiles."

The Facebook page believed to belong to the suspect said he was a paralegal studies student at Durham Technical Community College. The page's author described himself as a fan of Thomas Paine’s "The Age of Reason" and atheist author Richard Dawkins’ "The God Delusion."

In one online post, Hicks allegedly wrote: "When it comes to insults, your religion started this, not me. If your religion kept its big mouth shut, so would I."

UNC Chancellor Carol Folt is expected to issue a statement sometime Wednesday. Meanwhile, the school issued a statement.

"We are sensitive to the impact an incident of this nature has on campus and in the community," the school said. "We understand you want to know the facts as quickly as possible. At the same time, we must respect the job our Chapel Hill police have as they investigate this crime."

Click for more from the Raleigh News-Observer.

Sadly, three Jewish folks were shot and killed in a Jewish deli... and the

murderer said he was out to kill some Jews...

and Obamao and co. insist it was random.

Yet, this same dirtbag brings in -race- in any shooting if the person is BLACK, and it will not surprise me

if he comes out and declares this tragic murdering of Muslim students a "hate crime"...

Are they going to give him extra life in prison if it was a hate crime? If not what difference does it make? The guy will never live free again.

I knew I left the door open for such an inquiry and should have added:

Of course, not all victims of crime are killed - some might merely be Assaulted with Battery.

In this particular case I don't know if there is any possibility of parole or other aspects that differ for somebody convicted of, let's say 1st Degree Murder.

There are more punitive penalties for "Hate Crimes", as opposed "Hateful Crimes".

My point is that the court system should be driven by ACTIONS rather than motivations. Therefore, I don't agree with the concept or legal standing of Hate Crimes.

It will probably please cal that this guy was a radical leftist atheist type. I have to admit I myself breathed a small sigh of relief. Not that his victims are dead. As with all murders that is heinous but that the media can't equate this with the right wing like they would absolutely love to do.

It will probably please cal that this guy was a radical leftist atheist type. I have to admit I myself breathed a small sigh of relief. Not that his victims are dead. As with all murders that is heinous but that the media can't equate this with the right wing like they would absolutely love to do.

So what if Cal is pleased?

The real issue is how disappointed liberal assholes must be...disappointed not that 3 innocent Muslims were murdered, but rather disappointed that the killer wasn't a Christian.

These disappointed libfucks are kept from spouting "see..Christians do bad stuff too" nonsense...as if this story evens things up.

A story this tragic should be getting more media coverage except that it doesn't quite fit the libtard narrative.

The killer turns out to be a Rachael Maddow/MSNBC fan and not a Rush/FOX fan, an atheist and not a Christian, a leftist and not a conservative, and is not a Tea Party member.

I agree with you although I usually try to be less abrasive. They WANT to pin this on a conservative. They're absolutely dying to. Read the comments on any story the lefties keep mentioning the tea party which I'm no fan of. Rush, christians, guns they're all to blame except this guy had all the stuff they love tied to him. Reading his Facebook page his cover picture is the gay rights equal sign. His likes included huffington post, Rachel Maddow, the southern poverty whatever institute. He was a staunch anti religious anti racist athiest. Leftist media is absolutely wringing their hands over this looking for a scapegoat. It'll come down to gun control again because it's the only thing left to grab a hold of. And in a way it's not wrong. This guy was clearly a sad sack with poor self esteem and social skills. Described as always angry and tied to long standing disputes. That's exactly the type of guy who snaps but how are you going to determine that sort of thing?

Archived