THE BROWNS BOARD

Oscar predictions

Last Minute Oscar Recap

OK gang its 3 days before the Oscars and I'm sticking with my predictions. This could easily go south but I'm turning them in before the ceremony.

Best Supporting Actress Patricia Arquette for BOYHOOD.

Best Actress Julianne Moore for STILL ALICE.

Best Supporting Actor JK Simmons for WHIPLASH.

Best Actor Michael Keaton for BIRDMAN with Eddie Redmayne as the dark horse.

Best Director.

Alejandro González Iñárritu for BIRDMAN or Richard Linklater for BOYHOOD.

My heart says Alejandro but I'm predicting Linklater.

Best movie, though I hated it, BOYHOOD.

~it's Friday so I won't be able to edit this. Place your bets

. WSS

As noted, last year I do not think was a very good year for movies. 12 Years a Slave too me was just a boring graphic documentary on what happens to slave. The better movies imo were Dallas Buyers Club and Philomena.....but they are not by any means great movies.

This year, from what I have seen so far, I am not impressed. The best of an average lot that I have seen has been The Imitation Game.

Though I have not seen American Sniper, Whiplash, or Selma.

And I go by pure entertainment value....not by whatever puffery the academy employs. The favorite you mention, Boyhood, was an absolute boring p.o.s. imo.

Expect surprises if the Steve says that those are the front runner winners.

No shit Sherlock. You should always expect surprises I can imagine at least three of these pics going south Eddie Redmayne my easily win Best Actor even though I think sentiment goes to Michael Keaton. Even though I thought it was a boring piece of shit I think people were impressed by the amount of years it took to shoot Boyhood. I think it will win but like I said senriment might push Birdman over the top. (remember though, Birdman is New York based not Hollywood)

Best director will probably go to the guy whose picture lost.

My favorites, besides Birdman, are Whiplash and the Imitation game.

WSS

Supporting Actor

J.K. Simmons, "Whiplash" (*WINNER)

Supporting Actress

Patricia Arquette, "Boyhood" (*WINNER)

Best Actress

Julianne Moore, "Still Alice" (*WINNER)

Best Actor

Eddie Redmayne, "The Theory of Everything" (*WINNER)

Best Director

Alejandro González Iñárritu, "Birdman" (*WINNER)

Best Picture

Birdman

(*WINNER)

West Side Steves final comments

Hi gang, sorry looks like I let you down. This really has been a nail biter for the last few weeks. There's no consensus on any of the Las Vegas or entertainment sites except that the top couple of contenders were neck and neck. I think I outsmarted myself on a couple picks. As I said before Eddie Redmayne did a hell of a job but I really thought settlement would carry Michael Keaton. Not to mention the excruciating task that he and Edward Norton had by playing that entire film as a Broadway play, (not shooting everything one line at a time and splicing it all in). That's something many don't notice right off the bat. I also thought the buzz over all the years it took to shoot Boyhood would have given it the edge. Still I'm glad Birdman won. As far as Best Direction sometimes the guy who directed the film that lost Best Picture might get a consolation prize. But not this time.

The other three, Actress, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress were no brainers and I'm usually pretty good with them for obvious reasons..

WSS

Actually, my subtitle for Birdman, now that it won is: The Not Unexpected Ascension of Pretension.

(yes, I thought is was a pretentious average movie).

What did you find pretentious, Gip?

I found it entertaining with a creative story line and editing.

I am not a film critic nor do I see all that many. However, I found this to be a good movie. I'll leave it up to others to determine if it was the best film, or not.

PS I also liked looking at Naomi Watts ( I would have had a boner too) and Emma Stone.

No worries about being a film critic, brother John. Criticism is truly pointless. Just that some people like to read it so they have other people do it. If you like asparagus better than broccoli how could you possibly be wrong? I've talked to people loved boyhood, but I hated it. Gipper didn't like Birdman. Oh well. He also drinks shitty beer... :D

WSS

What did you find pretentious, Gip?

The writing, directing, acting.....any movie that seems to deal with "Broadway" seems to me to have a great deal of pretension behind it.

And that was also the opinion of my wife.....the Theater major.

I found it entertaining with a creative story line and editing.

I am not saying it didn't have a bit of entertainment value. But, I mean if we are going for entertainment, give me Guardians of the Galaxy. The Grand Budapest Hotel was more entertaining imo. St. Vincent would have been better.

I am not a film critic nor do I see all that many. However, I found this to be a good movie. I'll leave it up to others to determine if it was the best film, or not.

PS I also liked looking at Naomi Watts ( I would have had a boner too) and Emma Stone.

Her performance in St. Vincent was far superior than Birdman.

Archived