THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Cap Space

WPB Dawg Fan

The Browns have about $14.5M under the cap...but there are things in the working that may increase that number:

Browns have money to spend in free agency

By JEFF SCHUDEL

jschudel@MorningJournal.com

INDIANAPOLIS — Black Friday, the start of free agency in the NFL, is just six days away.

In a contrast from the recent past, when former general manager Phil Savage would sign a flurry of high-priced free agents in the first and second day and consequently overpay at times, Coach Eric Mangini says the Browns will not be making a big, early splash this year.

According to league sources, the Browns are $14.5 million under the $123 million salary cap. That includes allocating a guaranteed bonus of $5 million to Derek Anderson next month and a $4.875 million bonus to Donte Stallworth. The Browns have more cap room than some teams, but not as much as they have had in the past.

"I'm not going to rule it out, but I don't foresee us being as active in the short term," Mangini said Friday in a downtown hotel during the NFL Scouting Combine. "I've done it both ways. I've done it where we've had some guys sign in the first weekend and I've done it where we've waited a while, let the market settle and then gotten more involved. The key is just finding the right guys."

The plan to pick and choose was one of several revelations Mangini made during an hour-long meeting with Browns beat writers. A dozen Browns are set to become free agents, including safety Sean Jones. Mangini's plan is to let them all go free next Friday and see what the demand is for them before the Browns try to re-sign them.

Mangini said the Browns will have to sign a safety in free agency or draft one if they do not re-sign Jones.

Among the safeties about to become free agents are Jermaine Phillips of Tampa Bay, James Sanders of New England and Yeremiah Bell from the Dolphins.

Walterfootball.com rates Sanders one slot better than Jones in the list of free agent safeties, but Sanders isn't as big as Jones - 5-10, 207 pounds compared to 6-1, 220.

Other free agents that could be on the Browns radar: Inside linebacker Channing Crowder from the Dolphins, running back Derrick Ward from the Giants and outside linebacker Michael Boley from the Falcons.

Mangini said how active the Browns are in free agency will depend on how deep they conclude the draft is in areas of need. For example, the draft is deeper in outside linebackers than quality offensive tackles. The Browns need help at both spots.

"Money is kind of comparable to draft picks," Mangini said. "If you spend big in free agency it could be like a high One (first-round pick), like a low One, like a mid-round. Try to use those resources and figure out, hey, how do we want to distribute that? How can we balance those two ways to build the team?"

Mangini was asked whether Joe Jurevicius and Ryan Tucker will be back. Jurevicius, 34, missed all of 2008 battling staph infection in his right knee. He is healthy now. Tucker, 33, missed four games recovering from hip surgery, played against the Giants and then missed 11 games recovering from knee surgery.

"I talked to both those guys." Mangini said. "I like their toughness. I always admired, not just the way Joe caught the ball, but the way he blocked, his consistent competitiveness. The same thing with Tuck. It's consistent throughout the course of the game."

But will they be back? That might depend on whether each is open to a contract adjustment. Tucker is due to make $3.25 million and Jurevicius $2.4 million in 2009.

General Manager George Kokinis said there is a role for the two veterans on the 2009 Browns.

"We're talking to them and we'll talk to their agents," Mangini said. "We'll see how things go. We're evaluating all the different contracts and evaluating all the situations. That's part of it."

Kokinis said he will not get into specifics of contract situations.

Sounds to me that we are going to let the market decide where we go to fill in our spots. No knee-jerk reactions.

It also sounds to me we will be doing some restructuring of contracts to free up some extra cap space.

The more I read this stuff....the more I like the approach.

Archived