THE BROWNS BOARD

Garko to play left

Oldcrow1945

I just walked by the TV and heard Tribe manager Eric Wedge say that Ryan Garko will be playing some left field.

It seems they want to get more playing time for Shoppach behind the plate while Victor will be playing 1st base.

Shoppach's power at the plate, defense and big arm is a huge plus for the Tribe.

I just walked by the TV and heard Tribe manager Eric Wedge say that Ryan Garko will be playing some left field.

It seems they want to get more playing time for Shoppach behind the plate while Victor will be playing 1st base.

Shoppach's power at the plate, defense and big arm is a huge plus for the Tribe.

Gark will get blocked a lot by Vic this year, especially if Shop is hitting the ball well.

Course this point may be moot if Hafner doesn't come around and hit enough to be a full time DH

If he can play a passable LF for 6 innings or so before giving way to a def replacement

so be it.

This from Bud Shaw today

I didn't have to be told Ryan Garko started shagging balls in the outfield in Arizona.

I could feel it in the ground...

i honestly don't know what this will accomplish. garko has no speed and will be running towards the wall half the time for all the balls he couldn't catch up to.

His power is significantly better than Francisco's. It's about Garko's bat and Shoppachs arm and defense.

One of the nice things for Wedge is he can count on having one of the best defensive centerfielders in Baseball beside Garko.

It allows you to get your best defensive catcher on the field more often (Who also has better power than Francisco) and it still allows you to keep Martinez in the game at first base.

I think it accomplishes a lot!

Finally, it will give the Indians an opportunity to show case Shoppach again. Santana is not far away. There is no need to have Martinez, Shoppach, Toregas and Santana all in the organization. Someone is going to be trade bait.

Archived