THE BROWNS BOARD

Oscar viewership down substantially

What happened in the last elections, Gip?

WTF does that have to do with anything we are talking about?

Right now, the Dems message fails to resonate outside the handful of 'Cultural Bubbles', just like the hard-left (I didn't say Democrats) messages spewed during the Awards Show keeps mainstream America from turning on their TV sets.

Again..... we were talking about decorum. Lets see a rant about women's rights, abortion rights, gun control, etc. happen at a CMA ceremony and those yeehaws would be foaming at the mouth about it. It happened to the Dixie Chicks....it never happened at an Academy Award.....see where Charlton Heston got his lifetime achievement award. I see where his right wing politics didn't stand in the way of that.

PS I also believe WSS has a good point about film distribution. Giving awards to movies that nobody has seen appears to be, well, prententious.

I don't know about that....but giving awards to pretentious movies is pretentious.

PPS FWIW, I am a registered Democrat.

Another example of somebody who rails against 'intolerance' being intolerant.

Now it's 'yeehaws' who listen to 'Country Music'.

Where does it end?

Maybe you can find a place with 'like minded people'.

Can't agree with the Gipper about pretension. Sometimes I love things that make others cringe with embarrassment. Case in point that paraphrase I just used came from a Procol Harum album. Many people think Keith Reid writess extremely pretentious stuff.

Some literary professors love James Joyce. One of my favorite songs of all time is Mac Arthur park.

We already have a People's Choice Awards don't we? That would be a good place to give a statue to dumb and dumber, Need for Speed six or Julia Roberts and Hugh what's his name movies. The Oscars should really be set aside for worx that the insiders feel are different and outstanding. Quite often they are.

WSS

Another example of somebody who rails against 'intolerance' being intolerant.

Yes You? You clearly do not wish to tolerate anyone with varying points of views from yours. YOU are the one that took offense at the fact that maybe all of 3 minutes of that boring Oscar presentation involved someone espousing a liberal point of view....something about equal pay for women. That is what started everything.

Now it's 'yeehaws' who listen to 'Country Music'.

I was born into a hillbilly family.....so yea, we saw nothing wrong with a few yeehaws.

Its like calling someone who likes heavy metal a "head banger".

Where does it end?

Maybe you can find a place with 'like minded people'.

Why would I want that. Sounds a bit boring. Besides, I don't always know what my own mind likes...until I figure it out.

Can't agree with the Gipper about pretension. Sometimes I love things that make others cringe with embarrassment. Case in point that paraphrase I just used came from a Procol Harum album. Many people think Keith Reid writess extremely pretentious stuff.

Some literary professors love James Joyce. One of my favorite songs of all time is Mac Arthur park.

We already have a People's Choice Awards don't we? That would be a good place to give a statue to dumb and dumber, Need for Speed six or Julia Roberts and Hugh what's his name movies. The Oscars should really be set aside for worx that the insiders feel are different and outstanding. Quite often they are.

WSS

I agree, quite often they are different and outstanding. While this year's nominees were frequently different (like Boyhood), I just didn't think they were outstanding. I did not think Birdman was outstanding. Over the past 20 years I would say that only about 5 or so of the Best Picture movies were outstanding in my view.

Archived